ADVERTISEMENT

The Winds of Winter

You guys that started with the first book are the real MVP.

George R.R. Martin discusses The Winds of Winter, confirms he’s not yet working on A Dream of Spring

by David Harris (Razor)7 hours agoFollow @House_Razor

Author George R.R. Martin has been talking a lot lately about The Winds of Winter, the long-awaited sixth novel in his A Song of Ice and Fire series. It started last week, when Martin confirmed on his Not a Blog that Winds will not be released in 2018, dashing the dreams of many fans against the rocks of the Stony Shore. Some of those fans — and many others who don’t have a problem with the announcement — took to the comments, and Martin has been mixing it up with them.

We already covered his comments about no longer releasing any advance chapters from Winds, but it ends up that was just the tip of the iceberg. Wading back into those comments today, Martin has plenty more to say, including a response to someone who asks if Winds might be broken up into two books, as is happening with his upcoming book of Targaryen history, Fire & Blood.

Some of my publishers have suggested breaking up WINDS as we did with FEAST and DANCE. I am resisting that notion.

For those unaware, A Feast for Crows (2005) and A Dance with Dragons (2011) were originally planned to be one book. However, there was too much much content for that, so the novel was split up by perspective, with some characters appearing in Feast but not Dance and vice versa, and both books covering roughly the same period of time.

If Martin’s publishers are suggesting he divide The Winds of Winter into two books, we can assume that it has a whole lot of content as well. We’re glad Martin is “resisting” a split, though.

Moving on, one commenter took umbrage with Martin comparing Fire & Blood to J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion, noting that the situations are different: The Silmarillion only came out after The Lord of the Rings, “the main story,” was complete, whereas A Song of Ice and Fire has yet to be finished. In his reply, Martin gave us a history lesson about incomplete works, and made some potentially troubling statements:

You call LOTR “the main story,” but if you had asked Tolkien, he would have said the SIMARILLION was his main story, his life’s work. Yet he was never able to complete it during his lifetime. Not because he did not care, however…

…Just for the sake of argument, let me point out that many many people invest their time into works without endings. F. Scott Fitzgerald never finished THE LAST TYCOON, Charles Dickens never finished EDWIN DROOD, Mervyn Peake never finished TITUS ALONE, yet those works are still read.

I do intend to finish A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE, of course… but doubtless Peake, Dickens, Fitzgerald, and Tolkien would have said the same.

This is as close as Martin has ever come to saying that he might not finish A Song of Ice and Fire. Let’s say a quick prayer to the Old Gods and the New that he does.

Martin also said that he’d like to write more of the Tales of Dunk and Egg — the last story in that series, “The Mystery Night,” came out eight years ago. “I will certainly do more Dunk & Egg at some point. The question is when and how I fit it into my schedule. So much to do…”

Next, Martin addresses a question a lot of fans have: just why is The Winds of Winter taking so long to write? There’s more than one answer to that question, of course. Martin admitted that he’s “done some rewriting” of the book, something he’s known to do in his novels. “But there have been distractions as well.” We can guess at what some of those might be — other writing projects, developing shows for HBO, etc — but some of it may just come down to the way he writes:

When my work is going well — and no, it does not always go well, there are times of trouble — nothing exists for me but the scene I am writing. Publishers, editors, deadlines, readers, fans, none of that matters in the least, all of that is gone. Only the characters exist.

Sometimes this is difficult to explain to readers. And even to other writers, whose approach and temperaments are different. But it has always been the way I’ve worked.

When the real world intrudes… well, that’s it… one has to do what one can so the real world does not intrude.

In short, Martin seems to be the kind of writer who has to be in just the right headspace to write. That’s opposed to someone like Outlander author Diana Gabaldon, who can write “no matter where I am or what I’m doing,” as she once told Entertainment Weekly. Every writer has a different style, and Martin’s doesn’t seem well-suited to cranking out material at a rapid clip.

Another potential distraction is all the feedback, good and bad, Martin gets in the press and among the fans. It’s no secret that some fans are very vocal about their wish for Martin to speed things up. Does that ever get to him?

Do I ever get frustrated at all the criticisms? Certainly. Though I’d be more inclined to say “annoyed” and “pissed off” rather than frustrated.

I do try to keep it in proportion, and I realize that there are way way more positive comments than negative.

The frustrations I feel are aimed mostly at myself and that stubborn, contrary, balky ‘moose’ (muse) of mine.

Martin also briefly address A Dream of Spring, the seventh book in his series. One theory holds that he’s writing that book concurrently with The Winds of Winter, the better to release them close in time.

No, I have not started working on A DREAM OF SPRING.

Well, so much for that.

Lastly and most importantly, one commenter asked what POV Martin had been working on last. His answer: “Smudge.”

We don’t know, either.

Anyway, there’s lots to chew on here. How do you feel about the publishers suggesting The Winds of Winter be split into two volumes? Are you terrified by Martin’s admission that he may not finish the series? Are you looking forward to hearing chapters from Smudge’s perspective? Let us know!

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/05/01/george-r-r-martin-talks-more-about-the-winds-of-winter/

George R.R. Martin will no longer read or release advance chapters from The Winds of Winter

by Dan Selcke1 day agoFollow @Dan_Selcke

Last week, George R.R. Martin took to his Not a Blog and confirmed what a lot of A Song of Ice and Fire fans already suspected: The Winds of Winter, the long-awaited sixth book in his series, will not be out this year.

Following up in the comments of that post, Martin talked a little more about Winds, including his position on reading or releasing advance chapters. Long story short: he’s not going to do it anymore.

I think I have probably released too many sample chapters already. Put them all together, and what, there are probably more than a hundred pages (I honestly don’t know, I have never tried the exercise).

In the past, I have always been happy to release sample chapters, and to read other chapters at cons. But in this age of the internet, no good deed goes unpunished. That was brought home to me when the Dozois anthology BOOK OF SWORDS was released, and I found myself reading reviews that slammed “Sons of the Dragon” as ‘old, retread’ material because I’d read the story at a couple cons… for the entertainment of the few hundred people in the audience, but of course summaries went up all over the web, and somehow in the minds of some what should have been a brand new reading experience became old and familiar. It’s not worth it putting up sample chapters and giving readings if it means it will come back and bite me in the ass when the book is finally published.

Martin has expressed this sentiment about advance chapters before, but this gives us more of his reasoning. And he does have a point about the preview chapters piling up — he’s released a dozen from The Winds of Winter, and we have no trouble believing they add up to more than 100 pages.

Martin also responded to a, um…spiritedcommenter who asked him about…well, we’ll just repost the comment:

We did not need anything else than Winds of Winter and the last book. All ****ing spinoffs and histories and other moneymaking stuff could have waited!!!!! First things must come first!

Martin used this comment as an opportunity to talk a little about the various Game of Thrones prequel shows in development, all of which he’s involved in to some degree:

I am not sure HBO would agree that the spinoffs (I prefer the term “successor shows” myself) could have waited. With GOT set to end in 2019, they put five of them in the works, so as to have a new show… or more than one… to take up the mantle in 2020. (Development takes time). The successor shows were going to happen regardless. I prefer that they happen with my participation and guidance, rather than without it.

What do you guys think: is it worth it for Martin to be involved in the new shows so he can provide guidance or is that time better spent on The Winds of Winter? And what are we supposed to call these shows? Commenters call them “spinoffs,” Martin likes “successor shows,” and I’ve been calling them “prequels.” Life is full of choices.

Finally, one commenter, expressing what I suspect is the general sentiment of a lot of fans, said that “We want to know [more] about Jon Snow not Targaryen history.” Martin’s response:

Lots of people want Targaryen history. And Dunk & Egg stories. And Wild Cards books. Some even want more Haviland Tuf stories, or a sequel to FEVRE DREAM, or that 1890s journalism novel I never finished.

You don’t happen to be one of them, I get it. But you don’t speak for everyone. Far from it.

The floor is yours.

https://winteriscoming.net/2018/04/...ance-chapters-from-the-winds-of-winter-shell/

Thanks for posting. I now believe he will never finish ASOIAF. Sounds like WoW is not too far off, but based on reading that, I can't imagine him tying up all the loose ends in just one more book, so ADOS will end up being 2 books (minimum). Two more books will take him at least a decade (maybe 2 decades).

Thanks for posting. I now believe he will never finish ASOIAF. Sounds like WoW is not too far off, but based on reading that, I can't imagine him tying up all the loose ends in just one more book, so ADOS will end up being 2 books (minimum). Two more books will take him at least a decade (maybe 2 decades).
Then the question is whether he will allow someone else to finish the series or not.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I gave up hope about a month ago of ever getting to finish the series. I am just going to watch the HBO version and be content. I had read something on him a while back how he never really loved writing books. He more so got tired of writing pilots for TV series that never came to fruition because they were to expensive to produce. Thus he went out and started these books. With HBO now making some of the more expensive tv shows his passion in there. I think he never finishes. I also think he is to much of a control freak to let some one else finish his work. Maybe if he dies there is something in place but I think that is the only way he lets someone else take over. The passion just isn't there right now for him. Which makes me ask do I want him to finish if it won't be his best work?

I learned my lesson with WoT. I finished it but only half heartedly since the arrival of the final tome occurred some TWENTY TWO YEARS after I read the first book.

I no longer invest my recreational reading time in story arcs that aren't finished.

Reactions: PDT816
I learned my lesson with WoT. I finished it but only half heartedly since the arrival of the final tome occurred some TWENTY TWO YEARS after I read the first book.

I no longer invest my recreational reading time in story arcs that aren't finished.

GOT was published 22 years ago. Sounds like we have at least another decade to go, if he ever does manage to finish it.

New QUOTE from GRRM.....
“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure for years now. The most pressure I felt was a few years ago when I was desperately trying to stay ahead of the show. There was a point when the show was coming out in April and my editors said if I could finish the book by December they’d rush it out. And the pressure I felt that fall was the greatest pressure I’ve ever felt and then at a certain point it became apparent I’m not going to finish it by then. I don’t only want to finish it, I want to make it as good as I possibly can. Since then there’s been pressure but not like there was at that point. There’s no longer a race. The show is over. I’m writing the book. It will be done when it’s done.”

Can't wait for 2025

New QUOTE from GRRM.....
“I felt a tremendous amount of pressure for years now. The most pressure I felt was a few years ago when I was desperately trying to stay ahead of the show. There was a point when the show was coming out in April and my editors said if I could finish the book by December they’d rush it out. And the pressure I felt that fall was the greatest pressure I’ve ever felt and then at a certain point it became apparent I’m not going to finish it by then. I don’t only want to finish it, I want to make it as good as I possibly can. Since then there’s been pressure but not like there was at that point. There’s no longer a race. The show is over. I’m writing the book. It will be done when it’s done.”

Can't wait for 2025
That seems too optimistic

ADVERTISEMENT