ADVERTISEMENT

The other America. The REAL America.

wyomingosualum

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2005
My daughter is 16 years old. She and her horse recently participated in the county fair. She competed in many events and did very well overall. Fun to see your kid succeed.

Side note that will make more sense momentarily: I used to be a peace officer...but only for 27 years. I am retired now and have moved on with my life. My daughter is familiar with the highs and lows of my former occupation. I never hid the reality of it from my family. Some days were the best ever. Others were just horrible and continue to depress me if I spend too much time thinking about it.

Now back to the county fair. One event is freestyle reining. The kids get to dress up in costumes and even dress up their horses. They run their reining patterns to musical accompaniment that they pick out for themselves. My daughter decided that she was going to do a tribute to law enforcement for this event. She got one of my old forgotten uniform shirts out of the closet and pinned it up so it would fit her better. She ordered one of those Thin Blue Line American flags and I mounted it on a pole for her. I outfitted her with some gear to look more realistic. We put some flashing red and blue LED lights on her saddle. Right before the event started, I told her I would be honored if she would wear my old name plate on the shirt as she performed. She started to cry. I took that as a “yes”.

I was seated in the grandstand as she entered the arena on her horse and carrying that flag. And here’s the part that I really want you to absorb. George Straight started singing “The Weight if the Badge”. By the time she reached the center of the arena, every person there was standing. Hundreds of people came to a complete standstill. She planted that flag in the middle and ran her pattern. People remained standing. Every single person. When the song concluded, she retrieved the flag and rode out to cheering and applause. A standing ovation.

I cried the entire time. So did my wife. So did the deputy sheriff seated next to my wife. So did the lady sitting next to me. Maybe you had to be there.

That’s her in my avatar. It’s the least I can do for her. She is wonderful. I love her dearly.

Here’s the moral of the story. We see all this horse shit on the news and it gets you down. But I think most people love our country and respect our law enforcement officers. I know they do here.

My daughter is 16 years old. She and her horse recently participated in the county fair. She competed in many events and did very well overall. Fun to see your kid succeed.

Side note that will make more sense momentarily: I used to be a peace officer...but only for 27 years. I am retired now and have moved on with my life. My daughter is familiar with the highs and lows of my former occupation. I never hid the reality of it from my family. Some days were the best ever. Others were just horrible and continue to depress me if I spend too much time thinking about it.

Now back to the county fair. One event is freestyle reining. The kids get to dress up in costumes and even dress up their horses. They run their reining patterns to musical accompaniment that they pick out for themselves. My daughter decided that she was going to do a tribute to law enforcement for this event. She got one of my old forgotten uniform shirts out of the closet and pinned it up so it would fit her better. She ordered one of those Thin Blue Line American flags and I mounted it on a pole for her. I outfitted her with some gear to look more realistic. We put some flashing red and blue LED lights on her saddle. Right before the event started, I told her I would be honored if she would wear my old name plate on the shirt as she performed. She started to cry. I took that as a “yes”.

I was seated in the grandstand as she entered the arena on her horse and carrying that flag. And here’s the part that I really want you to absorb. George Straight started singing “The Weight if the Badge”. By the time she reached the center of the arena, every person there was standing. Hundreds of people came to a complete standstill. She planted that flag in the middle and ran her pattern. People remained standing. Every single person. When the song concluded, she retrieved the flag and rode out to cheering and applause. A standing ovation.

I cried the entire time. So did my wife. So did the deputy sheriff seated next to my wife. So did the lady sitting next to me. Maybe you had to be there.

That’s her in my avatar. It’s the least I can do for her. She is wonderful. I love her dearly.

Here’s the moral of the story. We see all this horse shit on the news and it gets you down. But I think most people love our country and respect our law enforcement officers. I know they do here.
Thank you for your service to your community. People with any common sense respect the sacrifices you made to keep your community safe.

Freestyle Reining is pretty cool, Reiners and those who compete in equine events typically are pretty patriotic.

Freestyle Reining is pretty cool, Reiners and those who compete in equine events typically are pretty patriotic.
Yes, the whole rodeo crowd is that way. But I was taken aback by the crowd response on this, I must admit. When the American flag passes in a parade or enters the arena, it’s customary to stand and remove your hat. But this was not the American flag. I just wasn’t expecting that response. Silly me, I guess!

Reactions: OKSTATE1

One of the reasons you are my favorite poster on this board is you are a damn fine writer. That was terrific. You made me cry and I wasn’t even there!

Chopping some onions here in the house tonight. Great story.

Great story. I am sure you have great love for your daughter.

This week, my son overdrafted his bank account and has cost me $500. I had steam coming out of my ears when I had the dad talk with him.

Nevertheless, I still love him deeply, even when he disappoints me.

Must be miserable to be wrong so often.
I don’t recall very many pro law enforcement stances you have taken. What is your take on the current radical movement against law enforcement in this country?

Wonderful story of the real America and the people that love the country but it doesn't come as all that much of a surprise to me. I have tried to by police officer's lunches and dinners every time I see them eating when we are out. I have yet to be able to because somebody else beat me to picking up their check.

I don’t recall very many pro law enforcement stances you have taken. What is your take on the current radical movement against law enforcement in this country?
It’s a mixed bag of good and terrible ideas. LEO are not social workers for instance. “Defunding” is terrible branding for needed reforms.

Wonderful story of the real America and the people that love the country but it doesn't come as all that much of a surprise to me. I have tried to by police officer's lunches and dinners every time I see them eating when we are out. I have yet to be able to because somebody else beat me to picking up their check.
“Real” - perhaps “your” would be more appropriate. Not that I don’t mind a good rodeo or thanking folks for their good work, but it isn’t right IMO to portray someone with different opinions as inauthentic or unAmerican.
To preempt any whataboutthisism, yes HRC was idiotic to use the phrase “the basket of deplorables”. My hope is most, well some, of you would be smarter than Mrs. Clinton.

“Real” - perhaps “your” would be more appropriate. Not that I don’t mind a good rodeo or thanking folks for their good work, but it isn’t right IMO to portray someone with different opinions as inauthentic or unAmerican.
To preempt any whataboutthisism, yes HRC was idiotic to use the phrase “the basket of deplorables”. My hope is most, well some, of you would be smarter than Mrs. Clinton.

like it or not, the left is now affiliated with being anti American. Burn it down, destroy capitalism, destroy the nuclear family. If you don’t want those labels you will have to be louder and more emphatic than the lunatics that have hijacked your party. Leo Terrel decided he loved his country more than the leftists, he begged joe Biden, the de facto leader of your party to condemn them and when he would not, leo jumped ship. In 2020, if you vote for a dem you are voting for the leftists to destroy our current system. if you want your party of Bill Clinton back you will have to grow a spine and get rid of the amoral leftists and communists that are OBVIOUSLY pulling the strings and controlling the money. Wearing a rainbow and making martyrs out of violent criminals like Jacob Blake and George Floyd disgusts enough of us to keep trump in the white house.

like it or not, the left is now affiliated with being anti American. Burn it down, destroy capitalism, destroy the nuclear family. If you don’t want those labels you will have to be louder and more emphatic than the lunatics that have hijacked your party. Leo Terrel decided he loved his country more than the leftists, he begged joe Biden, the de facto leader of your party to condemn them and when he would not, leo jumped ship. In 2020, if you vote for a dem you are voting for the leftists to destroy our current system. if you want your party of Bill Clinton back you will have to grow a spine and get rid of the amoral leftists and communists that are OBVIOUSLY pulling the strings and controlling the money. Wearing a rainbow and making martyrs out of violent criminals like Jacob Blake and George Floyd disgusts enough of us to keep trump in the white house.
And the counter case can be readily made.

Personally I am fatigued.

Need to sit out a series or two. Maybe get a shot in the locker room at half time. If only this were just a game.

And the counter case can be readily made.

Personally I am fatigued.

Need to sit out a series or two. Maybe get a shot in the locker room at half time. If only this were just a game.

i disavow the extreme right and I will argue that there is no right wing equivalent to bernie sanders and the squad that we have elected to federal office.

this is no time to be fatigued for a Democrat. Biden needs to be rekidnapped by the moderate establishment like yesterday or you are going to lose to literally hitler.

or do you people even have a moderate establishment anymore? It seems to me all the Dems are in lockstep as usual. They just appear to be lockstepping right off the cliff.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Going back to the original post - going to watch my friend’s daughter compete in rodeo events, I’m kicking myself for not trying harder to convince my parents that I wanted a horse and wanted to learn how to ride when I was six. So many life lessons that little kid has already learned - teamwork (if you can learn how to “read” your horse and communicate with him/her, people are a breeze.....just more annoying); self reliance; competition; compassion; etc. Damn amazing to me.

Don’t get me wrong - there’s some jackwagons that deserve to get bucked off their ride into the cactus patch - but they seem to be fewer and farther between than in day to day life,

i disavow the extreme right and I will argue that there is no right wing equivalent to bernie sanders and the squad that we have elected to federal office.

this is no time to be fatigued for a Democrat. Biden needs to be rekidnapped by the moderate establishment like yesterday or you are going to lose to literally hitler.

or do you people even have a moderate establishment anymore? It seems to me all the Dems are in lockstep as usual. They just appear to be lockstepping right off the cliff.
I don't accept the concept of a political "spectrum" with left and right. It's more like a "color wheel," with BLM, antifa, marxists, nazis and klansmen at the bottom.

Reactions: iasooner1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT