ADVERTISEMENT

The Mandalorian

The Duke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Austin TX
Didn’t realize there wasn’t a thread here about the show. Just saw episode 2, enjoying the series so far.

They can take this show in infinite directions.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
A couple of minor criticisms.

1). Someone mentioned it before, but it was really prevalent in this episode. So heavy on Western tropes. It doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the story, but I hope that this is more than just a Western set in the Star Wars universe.

2). Seemed kind of weird that all of the other bounty hunters had jet packs except for Mando. The prior episodes made it seem like he is one of the best at what he does. That doesn’t jibe with him being the only one without a JP.

2). Seemed kind of weird that all of the other bounty hunters had jet packs except for Mando. The prior episodes made it seem like he is one of the best at what he does. That doesn’t jibe with him being the only one without a JP.
I need to watch it again but I thought I saw several others that did not have one. Still I agree that it is weird that he did not.

Reactions: Been Jammin

1). Someone mentioned it before, but it was really prevalent in this episode. So heavy on Western tropes. It doesn’t detract from my enjoyment of the story, but I hope that this is more than just a Western set in the Star Wars universe.

He has a ship. Much better

The other Mandalorians also have full sets of armor and he is still putting his together I think thats probably the last piece he will get because he has one in the trailer.

The other Mandalorians also have full sets of armor and he is still putting his together I think thats probably the last piece he will get because he has one in the trailer.
So, they are more accomplished than him? Why wouldn’t Apollo Creed hire one of them? In the first episode it seemed like he had a reputation as a badass.

So, they are more accomplished than him? Why wouldn’t Apollo Creed hire one of them? In the first episode it seemed like he had a reputation as a badass.
It seems like they are full fledged Mandalorians whereas he is foundling that has not become a full Mandalorian yet. Also I don't think most of the other Mandos are bounty hunters, just the main character. Bounty hunting isn't something the majority of Mandalorians would do but they have been reduced to it because of their rebellion against the Empire.

It seems like they are full fledged Mandalorians whereas he is foundling that has not become a full Mandalorian yet. Also I don't think most of the other Mandos are bounty hunters, just the main character. Bounty hunting isn't something the majority of Mandalorians would do but they have been reduced to it because of their rebellion against the Empire.

Ahhh. That makes more sense. I assumed that bounty hunting was part of the Mandalorian religion (mainly because it appears that Boba Fett was a Mandalorian). Thanks much.

Because thats what Jango wore.

OK, sorry to drag this out. I know that Boba Fett predates the Mandalorian story line. Obviously, Jango predates Boba, which means he predates the Mandalorian by a few decades. So, why did Jango wear the Mandalorian helmet? Were there Mandalorians back in the Jango days. Did he just find a discarded helmet? Did the Mandalorians adopt that helmet style later? Was that helmet just a generic helmet available in every Star Wars equivalent to Wal Mart? Do you know the answer to any of these questions?

OK, sorry to drag this out. I know that Boba Fett predates the Mandalorian story line. Obviously, Jango predates Boba, which means he predates the Mandalorian by a few decades. So, why did Jango wear the Mandalorian helmet? Were there Mandalorians back in the Jango days. Did he just find a discarded helmet? Did the Mandalorians adopt that helmet style later? Was that helmet just a generic helmet available in every Star Wars equivalent to Wal Mart? Do you know the answer to any of these questions?
Mandalorians have been around for thousands of years, they are a race of people from the planet Mandalore. They were a proud warrior people whose wars devastated their planet. They developed their armor and gadgets to fight the Jedi, because they had never come across force users before,when they ran into them thousands of years before the events of the prequel trilogy. It is unknown currently how Jango acquired his armor, which is Mandalorian even though he himself is not.

Boba falls in with bounty hunters during the Clone Wars after his "father" dies and Jango was training him to be one.

Just did a little research. Looks like the Mandalorians were driven from their homeworld and became known as mercenaries and bounty hunters. So, Boba wasn't a Mandalorian, but it is not surprising that "Mando" is one (a BH).

It is the way.

Just did a little research. Looks like the Mandalorians were driven from their homeworld and became known as mercenaries and bounty hunters. So, Boba wasn't a Mandalorian, but it is not surprising that "Mando" is one (a BH).

It is the way.
We still don't know exactly what the Empire did to them but it is insinuated in the show that they were driven from Mandalore. The show is the 1st thing exploring what happened to them so we only know what it has shown us so far and thats what I was saying when I mentioned them rebelling against the Empire and being reduced to bounty hunting etc.

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
We still don't know exactly what the Empire did to them but it is insinuated in the show that they were driven from Mandalore. The show is the 1st thing exploring what happened to them so we only know what it has shown us so far and thats what I was saying when I mentioned them rebelling against the Empire and being reduced to bounty hunting etc.

Yes. I gather that they were a warrior race who pissed off the wrong people and were decimated. Apparently their homeworld was destroyed.

Throughout this discussion, I was thinking about my other point about the show having too many "western" tropes. Unless I am mistaken, A New Hope was originally supposed to be titled "Space Cowboys" and Lucas considered it to be a western set in space, so maybe that is the direction Favreau is purposely taking the Mandalorian.

Yes. I gather that they were a warrior race who pissed off the wrong people and were decimated. Apparently their homeworld was destroyed.

Throughout this discussion, I was thinking about my other point about the show having too many "western" tropes. Unless I am mistaken, A New Hope was originally supposed to be titled "Space Cowboys" and Lucas considered it to be a western set in space, so maybe that is the direction Favreau is purposely taking the Mandalorian.
Star Wars is heavily influenced by westerns, specifically The Searchers.

https://www.starwars.com/news/the-cinema-behind-star-wars-the-searchers

It’s always been a western.

"The Western was sort of the last real mythological genre. And I couldn't make a Western. Westerns were out of style at that point, and I wasn't that interested in Westerns anyway. And I said, ‘What is going to take over, because nothing has replaced it.’ Nothing replaced the Western,” Lucas said.

"And I said, ‘Maybe it'll be space. And I like space. Space is fun, so we'll create a kind of fantasy space world where I can tell some time-worn stories.’

Reactions: BluegrassPoke
It’s always been a western.

"The Western was sort of the last real mythological genre. And I couldn't make a Western. Westerns were out of style at that point, and I wasn't that interested in Westerns anyway. And I said, ‘What is going to take over, because nothing has replaced it.’ Nothing replaced the Western,” Lucas said.

"And I said, ‘Maybe it'll be space. And I like space. Space is fun, so we'll create a kind of fantasy space world where I can tell some time-worn stories.’
Speaking of it being a western, I think it specifically is a throwback to Clint Eastwood’s man with no name.

So excited to have a long form story in the SW universe finally.

More specifically...

It has always been a western crossed with Japanese Samurai/Ronin films like Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress".

The "Mandalorian" has a whole lot of influence from "Lone Wolf and Cub"....a series of Japanese magnas and movies.

BABY-YODA-SIPPING-TEA-BUSINESS-e1575125192329.png

I love the fact that they do not show a preview of the upcoming episodes.

I was very happy and surprised with the casting of this weeks episode. I learned that he can pull of an action role and that the Boston accent lived a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away

Seems like a waste of Ming Na Wen to only be in 1 episode and then kill her off. As I was watching, I was expecting her to be something of a regular character.

Seems like a waste of Ming Na Wen to only be in 1 episode and then kill her off. As I was watching, I was expecting her to be something of a regular character.

I’m confused...

Was there not a scene at the very end that potentially disrupts the premise of your post?

I’ve had a super busy week and I’ve slept a few times since I watched it...

I’m confused...

Was there not a scene at the very end that potentially disrupts the premise of your post?

I’ve had a super busy week and I’ve slept a few times since I watched it...

Are you saying she's not dead? Maybe I missed something. I do know that IMDB shows her as appearing in only 1 episode.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT