ADVERTISEMENT

The deer are really moving righ now!

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
It's not quite the rut yet, but it is a time of chasing, bird-dogging, and the does are still moving a lot.
I had a chance with my muzzleloader on Saturday, and then missed by inches with my bow on a larger 8 pointer this morning. Deer in sight almost the entire time, except when coyotes came through. Shot a big black boar that i'd been seeing on my trailcams with the muzzy yesterday evening.

How are you folks doing so far this season?

It's not quite the rut yet, but it is a time of chasing, bird-dogging, and the does are still moving a lot.
I had a chance with my muzzleloader on Saturday, and then missed by inches with my bow on a larger 8 pointer this morning. Deer in sight almost the entire time, except when coyotes came through. Shot a big black boar that i'd been seeing on my trailcams with the muzzy yesterday evening.

How are you folks doing so far this season?
was thinking the exact same thing. Was out this morning. Saw a spike, fork, and a decent 6 point. The 6 point chased a doe but quit pretty fast. So not rut just yet but the deer are moving. Last night I saw around 11 Doe. Also this morning a bobcat chased off the 6 point and Saw me in the tree stand and started walking toward me. Thought I was going to have to arrow his bitch ass.

Last edited:
Bobcats are the bomb. Very hard to arrow. But so are Yotes and Turkeys. saw several does this am, and three coyotes all looking like they are in full winter coats.
Have a large 9 point and a younger 10 point on camera. Both shooters. Not to see if they ever come out in daylight

This is the weather I remember from my younger days in the late 70s and 80s... colder October’s and November’s. Even the early 90s in college. None of that 80 degree crap.

I almost hit deer going out of my driveway in the morning.

Rut has been going on for a week at least. Saw bucks with does pinned down as early as last Monday. Buck activity at corn piles is little to none as opposed to tons of pics 2 weeks ago. Stillwater News Press outdoor writer mentioned early rut this year.

Rut has been going on for a week at least. Saw bucks with does pinned down as early as last Monday. Buck activity at corn piles is little to none as opposed to tons of pics 2 weeks ago. Stillwater News Press outdoor writer mentioned early rut this year.
So is the buck activity at corn piles an indication of rut or not rut?

So is the buck activity at corn piles an indication of rut or not rut?
Bucks are out tending doe, locked down, laying all day. Coming to candy is not part of a rutting bucks routine. Your cams on corn piles will show a drastic decrease once rut hits.

Bucks are out tending doe, locked down, laying all day. Coming to candy is not part of a rutting bucks routine. Your cams on corn piles will show a drastic decrease once rut hits.
Hmm. They have been on camera a lot the last week. Hopefully I haven’t missed anything. I can’t seem to catch these big bastards during the day

Yeah, I’ve noticed lots less traffic of the corn.

Figured it was hunch time

My neck is swollen!
I would agree the rut has started now. I was out there weekend before last, and it wasn't quite but very close to rut then. Saw so many bucks and does moving, corn was being eaten by the does, bucks just cruising looking for does, though there is bound to be some early breeding, just as there is some later breeding. I love the rut, but have had more success right at that point right before actual breeding takes place when bucks are dogging but not yet locked down on does. I think I see fewer bucks once they start isolating does until they get bred. They aren't moving very much at all.

Well so far have seen a really big 9 and a 8 point. Also a smaller 10. But just haven’t got them to be out during the day. Well this morning I decided to sleep in and check the camera an hour ago and the monster 9 point was below the stand at 730 am. First one he has been out in daylight the last few months. Don’t know if it was the snow or cold front but I’m pissed

My neighbors came over and sighted in their guns this weekend on my range and then went back over to their house and got two nice bucks. We are near Claremore of course.

I didn’t count points with them, but both appeared to be 10 pointers from the photos I saw. Not sure what they dressed out to.

I was contemplating taking a crack at some, but had to work unfortunately.

hunting off coyle road out of stillwater, gun season, 17th saw 5 does and 2 spikes. one nice buck in a hurry 300 yds away.

killed a 6 point 19th. lots of deer moving at first light.

I had a lot of bucks on the camera during bow. Once rifle season came up they all disappeared. Thinking the hunting pressure got them to bunker down. This seems to happen every year. Once rifle hits the hunting goes to crap. Although now I see tons of doe and small buck everyday. So I could shoot a deer pretty easy. But am in the market for a shooter buck. @Rulz I am between Pryor and Claremore. Would like to get a lease in the Salina/Jay area though as those deer get huge.

68F4F725-F73D-4F8C-9FB8-DDBDD26A7DB2.jpeg

My son just took this 10 pointer this morning at one of our places. It’s been a great year 4 bucks off this farm and mine off our other. Also picked up 4 doe between us and passed on several others early on.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
Ouch, TCP, I was about to come over here and mention how dead this board has been lately...

Would rather it not have been a post like that lol. Glad she’s ok, those kinds of things can end up far worse.

This is one major reason I have her drive full size and tallish SUV. It was a big buck, and that thing coming through the windshield, as it might have if she had been driving a small car, would have been very bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT