ADVERTISEMENT

Terrible boss

SquinkY5786

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2005
has anyone ever worked for a guy that was just all around terrible? I have about one of the worst ones imaginable. Makes it hard to go to work. But if I decided to leave I would probably have to uproot the family. This is the type of guy that thinks you motivate people by threatening their job. Has anyone dealt with this? Did you finally say screw it and leave?

I had a terrible boss once. Not in the same way as your guy. Pretty sure my guy was bipolar. 3 doctor veterinary practice. 2 doctors working most days. He either showed up and came up with reasons why he needed to be the one who needed to do every surgery and see every appt ( and I was paid based on production), or he would hide in his office leaving me completely overwhelmed.

When confronted, he would deny everything and rationalize his behavior.

I left after two years. Not worth the stress it was putting on me daily.

I’ve been very extremely fortunate with my company. Couldn’t imagine going to work in the morning having to answer to a hands-on boss I loathed. Sorry for your situation. I think I’d leave if it were me but of course I’m still completely U.S.-mobile and don’t have kids yet so apples-to-oranges comparison.

has anyone ever worked for a guy that was just all around terrible? I have about one of the worst ones imaginable. Makes it hard to go to work. But if I decided to leave I would probably have to uproot the family. This is the type of guy that thinks you motivate people by threatening their job. Has anyone dealt with this? Did you finally say screw it and leave?

he threatens your job?

he threatens your job?
always talks about writing someone up if they make a mistake. Pretty bipolar. You think he is maturing and calming down and something will set him off. It is definitely a hostile work environment. Also treats employees differently.

Reactions: pokes_1414
I am. Part I hate is it’s a very good job. I can find another one but it would require moving as there is only usually one per area. So I would have to uproot my family.

sorry for this toxic situation

sounds like this guy is quite the tool
no doubt has multiple chinks in the armor

sorry for this toxic situation

sounds like this guy is quite the tool
no doubt has multiple chinks in the armor
It’s the public sector. Anywhere else would have probably been canned quickly. I originally went to work for a really good guy. He moved on and they just moved up the next guy in line who is of course the polar opposite.

maybe you can outlast him...which would probably be tough to do. You'd think there would be others complaining as well and that they would just promote him!

Reactions: wyomingosualum
Invite him to the bar get drunk and kick his ass. That’s how things like this used to be kept in check. Now you have an hr full of women and people just push the boundaries with no repercussions. You could of course tuck your junk and bitch and document his behavior for two years.

I'd start keeping detailed records of anytime he threatens you or other employees with their job or makes any outrageous comments that could fall in the category of "intimidation" or "hostile work environment."
Yup. This or leave.

I just got moved in a position sort of next to my boss in structure. I report direct to CEO now. I might have my own stories to share eventually. Anyone had to navigate a similar scenario?

#hijack

No Jennifer Aniston pics in here. This is a fail.

I doubt his boss looks like this

aniston.jpg

I had one of those. I out lasted him. He was here for a couple of years. I now celebrate the day he was fired each August 21st. He's been gone 23+yrs. Everyone loves the day because I bring doughnuts, ice cream, cake, or pie to continue the celebration.

Holy shit this is impressive

Reactions: russgoodman
Yeah, around 1999 we sold to another group. They started the integration off on the wrong foot by demanding that everyone reapply for their job. I got moved up in the process, not because I asked but because in the new CTOs opinion I "sucked less". I left within 6 mos after seeing him just rip people apart. I missed most of it, but there was one night, we were on a deadline and I was pounding out some code and he called me and told me he noticed I had 5 concurrent vi (unix based text editor) processes running, that I was to immediately terminate 4 of them and in the future would only be able to run one at a time. I closed all 5, put my resume into Dice.com, and was gone in 45 days. Best move I ever made, not because the gig I took was all that great but because I didn't put up with his crap.

Appreciate the pain of uprooting the family, but don't take that crap.

Yeah, around 1999 we sold to another group. They started the integration off on the wrong foot by demanding that everyone reapply for their job. I got moved up in the process, not because I asked but because in the new CTOs opinion I "sucked less". I left within 6 mos after seeing him just rip people apart. I missed most of it, but there was one night, we were on a deadline and I was pounding out some code and he called me and told me he noticed I had 5 concurrent vi (unix based text editor) processes running, that I was to immediately terminate 4 of them and in the future would only be able to run one at a time. I closed all 5, put my resume into Dice.com, and was gone in 45 days. Best move I ever made, not because the gig I took was all that great but because I didn't put up with his crap.

Appreciate the pain of uprooting the family, but don't take that crap.

Were you guys running on 286s or something? Sheesh.

Interestingly, I have seen people eat a surprising amount of memory with multiple text editors open but it's rare. And a boss who is that big of a jackass usually has either no clue about such things or he's looking for idiotic excuses to make people cower.

I would have updated my resume at the first mention of 'reapply for your job'. That has political cluster & nuked morale written all over it. You have more patience than I. :)

Reactions: davidallen
I had one of those. I out lasted him. He was here for a couple of years. I now celebrate the day he was fired each August 21st. He's been gone 23+yrs. Everyone loves the day because I bring doughnuts, ice cream, cake, or pie to continue the celebration.

This is one of the funniest things I’ve ever read or have even heard of in the corporate world (assuming it’s the corporate world). That is too funny!

Yup. This or leave.

I just got moved in a position sort of next to my boss in structure. I report direct to CEO now. I might have my own stories to share eventually. Anyone had to navigate a similar scenario?

#hijack
So you are saying that your appraiser (boss) isn't the one who tells you what to do (CEO)? I'm currently a "boss" in said scenario. I'm not expecting any issues, because the employee is long tenured and maxed out in their pay band, i.e. their salary is pretty much frozen regardless of performance.

So you are saying that your appraiser (boss) isn't the one who tells you what to do (CEO)? I'm currently a "boss" in said scenario. I'm not expecting any issues, because the employee is long tenured and maxed out in their pay band, i.e. their salary is pretty much frozen regardless of performance.
It’s a little tough to explain. My department was shifted out of another to report to CEO. CEO made it clear that what I do is going to lead a lot of other thinking for the agency moving forward. I didn’t have a bad relationship with former boss, but I certainly think it’s possible that may sour slightly moving forward.

I’m just preparing myself.

I had this happen twice in 27 years. I took it for a while and then decided AMF, I'm out. Each time, I would have been just fine had I just stayed put because I would have outlasted the problem. One problem stayed for another 4 years, so that would have been tough. But the other problem was only there for another year after I pulled the plug.

Man, I feel your pain.

So if your problem gets enough complaints, what do you think will happen? Will he get fired or demoted or just sent off to a reeducation camp for a while only to emerge an even bigger a$$hole than before?

I had this happen twice in 27 years. I took it for a while and then decided AMF, I'm out. Each time, I would have been just fine had I just stayed put because I would have outlasted the problem. One problem stayed for another 4 years, so that would have been tough. But the other problem was only there for another year after I pulled the plug.

Man, I feel your pain.

So if your problem gets enough complaints, what do you think will happen? Will he get fired or demoted or just sent off to a reeducation camp for a while only to emerge an even bigger a$$hole than before?
The last one most likely. There is another department in the company I could transfer to but have to wait for a position to open

Bad thing is grandparents are a stroll through pasture
Oh boy. Keeps getting more complicated.

If you think you can maintain your anonymity, what about making up a hotmail or gmail account and sending an email to the department head? Surely they would want to know what's really going on. You get to choose what tone to use.

Oh boy. Keeps getting more complicated.

If you think you can maintain your anonymity, what about making up a hotmail or gmail account and sending an email to the department head? Surely they would want to know what's really going on. You get to choose what tone to use.

A lot of companies have a anonymous reporting protocol or system to report work place issues like sexual harassment, hostile world environment, etc.

If they don't that will just up the settlement when you leave and sue haha!

Little background before I go on my rant. Worked for a private company that was bought out by a corporation after 6+ years. Spent 3 years in the field as a technician learning the equipment and processes, then moved into International sales and marketing until January of 2016. At that point they moved me into domestic sales for USA and Canada where there was absolutely no activity except for a few very forward thinking groups. When the switch was made in 2016, had to hand over all my international contacts to a guy based in the ME. he proceeded to never contact one of them, ironically he is now running the whole show for our group. I also was given incomprehensible numbers by our VP and I told him in the meeting that what he was projecting would never happen because no one in the US coats internal filed joints like is done in SA or the ME. Probably should have kept my pie hole shut but it was ludicrous what they were asking. I had also just come off a 6 year, 3 month & 21 day sales cycle for a 42 million dollar job that not only pulled in millions or our core group, but also pulled in millions for two of our sister companies. This corporation, even though they pushed cross selling, also didn't cough up bonus one for that effort. Mind you not one of the people giving me these numbers had ever worked in our field, was familiar with our customer base or had even been on a sales call with me.

That sucks....last year got a boss just like this. Had been with my company for 12 years (3 as a technician) this guy had never been in the field. Complete 100% narcissistic jackass! I ended up leaving because had a new job offer for more money, home office and back to international work. This guy was a micromanaging POS as well, still baffles me how he ever got hired. He took credit for my work, clients and jobs I brought in. He would cut me out of meetings with my clients for jobs I had coming up, so he could look like the big guy. He and I got into it numerous times and at one point he wrote me up, which where I worked was like writing on the wall, that your time was limited. What was worse was the guy who I had worked with before rolled over and let this guy treat everyone like shit....in the end did document all his transgressions and his attempts to make himself look great and everyone around him look small, but corporate had decided that he was the guy who would dig us out of the hole and that was that. Even our HR rolled over even though by federal government standards I was a protected species at 56.

Almost a year out now, look back with a bit of nostalgia in that miss the people I worked with although nearly everyone has left, but it was a great ride. Ironically enough that jackass was let go in December of 2017 because he hadn't moved the needle at all and I guess some of the upper management blowhards saw he was pretty useless. Found out later that his wife did a ton of his work for him, especially all his PPT work and scripted his presentations. Figures.....use to call the guy "little Nicky" because he looked just like that character.

Things definitely turned out better by leaving, but man what a bunch of chickenshits it turned out I worked for. Management just rolled over and let the little folks get pounded. That company has lost over 300 years of tribal knowledge in the last 3+ years, and most of the upper management people I would let put mustard on a hotdog was eating.

See if you can outlast the jackass and good luck man. I know its a grind, but hang in there.

Little background before I go on my rant. Worked for a private company that was bought out by a corporation after 6+ years. Spent 3 years in the field as a technician learning the equipment and processes, then moved into International sales and marketing until January of 2016. At that point they moved me into domestic sales for USA and Canada where there was absolutely no activity except for a few very forward thinking groups. When the switch was made in 2016, had to hand over all my international contacts to a guy based in the ME. he proceeded to never contact one of them, ironically he is now running the whole show for our group. I also was given incomprehensible numbers by our VP and I told him in the meeting that what he was projecting would never happen because no one in the US coats internal filed joints like is done in SA or the ME. Probably should have kept my pie hole shut but it was ludicrous what they were asking. I had also just come off a 6 year, 3 month & 21 day sales cycle for a 42 million dollar job that not only pulled in millions or our core group, but also pulled in millions for two of our sister companies. This corporation, even though they pushed cross selling, also didn't cough up bonus one for that effort. Mind you not one of the people giving me these numbers had ever worked in our field, was familiar with our customer base or had even been on a sales call with me.

That sucks....last year got a boss just like this. Had been with my company for 12 years (3 as a technician) this guy had never been in the field. Complete 100% narcissistic jackass! I ended up leaving because had a new job offer for more money, home office and back to international work. This guy was a micromanaging POS as well, still baffles me how he ever got hired. He took credit for my work, clients and jobs I brought in. He would cut me out of meetings with my clients for jobs I had coming up, so he could look like the big guy. He and I got into it numerous times and at one point he wrote me up, which where I worked was like writing on the wall, that your time was limited. What was worse was the guy who I had worked with before rolled over and let this guy treat everyone like shit....in the end did document all his transgressions and his attempts to make himself look great and everyone around him look small, but corporate had decided that he was the guy who would dig us out of the hole and that was that. Even our HR rolled over even though by federal government standards I was a protected species at 56.

Almost a year out now, look back with a bit of nostalgia in that miss the people I worked with although nearly everyone has left, but it was a great ride. Ironically enough that jackass was let go in December of 2017 because he hadn't moved the needle at all and I guess some of the upper management blowhards saw he was pretty useless. Found out later that his wife did a ton of his work for him, especially all his PPT work and scripted his presentations. Figures.....use to call the guy "little Nicky" because he looked just like that character.

Things definitely turned out better by leaving, but man what a bunch of chickenshits it turned out I worked for. Management just rolled over and let the little folks get pounded. That company has lost over 300 years of tribal knowledge in the last 3+ years, and most of the upper management people I would let put mustard on a hotdog was eating.

See if you can outlast the jackass and good luck man. I know its a grind, but hang in there.
If i stayed in the area. I would probably have to completely switch my profession. Because industry I work for usually has one company per territory. I have had several ideas. Try an insurance agency, loan officer, really anything. It would be hard to start over because of the family but would prob be happier.

Reactions: windriverrange
ostate I was miserable for the 6 months I was around this moron and it definitely affected my attitude at the casa as well.

What ended up being my motivation to move on while I still had a job was you have quite a bit more negotiating power then if you’re unemployed. It was a gut wrenching decision but (and as I said above) the writing was on the wall and my sanity was starting to wane. It’s hard to move on though....but don’t sell yourself short either, you may walk into something you had no idea would be so fun and cool.

There are two books I read lately that also were helpful when it came time to pull the trigger and move on. Don’t remember the authors name but one is “The No Asshole Rule,” and the other is “Good Boss Bad Boss.” Insightful stuff and chalked full of common sense, which is why am sure none of the clowns in the old corporation had or read them.

Where are you located and what do you do right now if you don’t mind answering?

efftard sounds like princess darling nikki

Reactions: windriverrange
ostate I was miserable for the 6 months I was around this moron and it definitely affected my attitude at the casa as well.

What ended up being my motivation to move on while I still had a job was you have quite a bit more negotiating power then if you’re unemployed. It was a gut wrenching decision but (and as I said above) the writing was on the wall and my sanity was starting to wane. It’s hard to move on though....but don’t sell yourself short either, you may walk into something you had no idea would be so fun and cool.

There are two books I read lately that also were helpful when it came time to pull the trigger and move on. Don’t remember the authors name but one is “The No Asshole Rule,” and the other is “Good Boss Bad Boss.” Insightful stuff and chalked full of common sense, which is why am sure none of the clowns in the old corporation had or read them.

Where are you located and what do you do right now if you don’t mind answering?
Sent you a pm

When I was in high school, I had a pretty crappy boss. Immature, vulgar, dorky looking guy who would do all kinds of inappropriate crap like kicking me in the ass if I bent down to grab something and then laughing like a weasel. Board gets tired of him and cans him. Next guy comes in and I'm grateful because I might have a real boss. This guy is a total prick doucebag that treats me like crap, cuts my hours, etc because I was from the previous regime even though I hated that guy. I finally get pissed enough to quit and go work at The Gap in the mall thinking it would be the coolest job ever. WRONG! Main manager and her asst manager sidekick don't like me for some reason, other 2 managers love me though. Always riding my ass for doing exactly what they asked me to do. Terminated me without telling me, and I show up to work and look like a complete dumbass. So at this point I'm pretty down. Can't find a job for a few months, so my dad hires me to work in the sports dept of the newspaper. Turns out to be the funnest job ever. Covering HS football, basketball, soccer and OSU fb games, interviewing coaches, calling guys like Bill Teegins and BBJ and swapping scores with them. So I've had 3 horrible bosses my first 3 jobs, and great bosses ever since.

If i stayed in the area. I would probably have to completely switch my profession. Because industry I work for usually has one company per territory. I have had several ideas. Try an insurance agency, loan officer, really anything. It would be hard to start over because of the family but would prob be happier.
If you’d like, I can take a shit into a box, cover it up with those foam peanuts and ship it to him. Let him start digging in there to see what it is. If your office is near his, you’ll know when he receives it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT