ADVERTISEMENT

Suriano Redshirt

Dugan2035

Redshirt
Aug 5, 2019
133 is going to be a toss up this year. Who is the favorite since the top guys are redshirting? It would be awesome if Kaid was able to make it back later in the year . If not Witcraft should be in the hunt for an AA.

Returning NC Seth Gross will be the hands down favorite and likely would have been had Suriano not taken a RS.

Somebody posted that Kaid was out for the year with a knee injury, I hope this is not correct.

Looks like Daton won't get a chance to avenge his loss to Suriano this year.

Pat Mineo tweeted he will take another ORS and train for the trials with Mark Perry at ASU's RTC. Interesting move because Perry is very familiar with Daton, Gilman & Lee.

IMO Suriano has a very high ceiling in freestyle. Wouldn't shock me to see him win the 57 kg spot.

Don't believe he needs to take a RS, correct?

I think so. He never used his regular redshirt, so I believe his eligibility clock allows him another year to compete. Mineo didn't actually say ORS, that was just assumption on my part.

Suriano has been making the rounds. He also spent time with Kendall at the NYCRTC and trained in Russia.

I think so. He never used his regular redshirt, so I believe his eligibility clock allows him another year to compete. Mineo didn't actually say ORS, that was just assumption on my part.

Suriano has been making the rounds. He also spent time with Kendall at the NYCRTC and trained in Russia.
Pretty sure this year does not count against eligibility thus no one needs to (nor will they) take a redshirt.

Pretty sure this year does not count against eligibility thus no one needs to (nor will they) take a redshirt.

That's true for a regular redshirt. An ORS allows you to train full-time without being enrolled in school. Evan Wick is taking one.

That's true for a regular redshirt. An ORS allows you to train full-time without being enrolled in school. Evan Wick is taking one.
IDK why? What would prevent any kid this year from taking the year off to work a job or train freestyle if that's what they want? Why use an ORS?

IDK why? What would prevent any kid this year from taking the year off to work a job or train freestyle if that's what they want? Why use an ORS?

Not really sure. The primary benefit of an ORS is that it pauses your eligibility clock. But you're right, that doesn't matter this year.

Maybe an ORS also allows your travel & training expenses to be covered by the RTC? Or it allows you to compete in certain events, like the Yarygin?

@OkieSpladle or @west2east would probably know if there's a reason.

Looks like Daton won't get a chance to avenge his loss to Suriano this year.

Pat Mineo tweeted he will take another ORS and train for the trials with Mark Perry at ASU's RTC. Interesting move because Perry is very familiar with Daton, Gilman & Lee.

IMO Suriano has a very high ceiling in freestyle. Wouldn't shock me to see him win the 57 kg spot.
He got crushed by Vitali Arujau this last summer. I am not enamored with him. I fall asleep every time he’s on the mat. People love the drama that surrounds him.

He got crushed by Vitali Arujau this last summer. I am not enamored with him. I fall asleep every time he’s on the mat. People love the drama that surrounds him.

When did he get crushed by Arujau? Vito won 2-2 on criteria last December at Senior Nationals.

Suriano's style might not be exciting, but it's effective. He has elite defense/re-attacks and he controls the center of the mat. Not unlike J'den Cox actually.

The two big questions with him are (1) can he handle the cut to 57 kg and (2) can he overcome his lack of freestyle experience. We'll find out.

Fair point with the Arujau loss, I thought it was worse. Keeping center is the only way he may compare to J’den Cox. He may or may not pan out in freestyle, but first he needs to learn to initiate his offense. You are correct, he doesn’t have much freestyle experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT