ADVERTISEMENT

stuff- geese yotes racoons and possums

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
Just because it's outdoor stuff:
It's that time of year....predators very active feeding on all the newborn of the year... Yesterday, I went out to feed the chickens and found one dead, eaten in that particular manner that suggest a raccoon. Also Yesterday, I finally saw what I've been waiting 9 years to see.... baby geese hatched on our pond, with one more goose still sitting on eggs (3 pairs total). Everything will want to eat them (esp the goslings), including turtles and big bass, but also the land predators and hawks. We'll see if they can survive a few weeks and get big enough to have a chance. I've been keeping the 6.5 CM handy by the door looking for yotes who might come looking for a good dinner, and sure enough I saw one this afternoon late and, from the back porch, shot I dead at about 175 yds. An easy shot with my new rifle. Then this evening about dark I put up the chickens in their house to protect them, and came back 30 min after dark, to find a raccoon and a possum both looking for dinner at the hen house. The raccoon was inside the fence, having managed to dig under the fence and hoping a repeat meal from last night, and the possum was looking in from the outside. The 20 Ga auto took the possum first as he made a run for it (slow mo cause he's a possum!), and then the raccoon in the pen, hauled both off tonight....... Now I just need to get that skunk that's been hanging around...smell him occasionally but haven't seen him yet. Yup, Everybody likes a chicken dinner (or goose if they can catch them). G'night all. ;)

Last edited:
Last year at the golf course I saw a snapping turtle pull a full grown Canada goose under. I didn't know that could happen to a full grown goose!

a really big turtle can! with the baby geese, when they are swimming along, I see about 3 or 4 turtles following them. so far they have made it a week, and getting around pretty good, but I won't trust that they make it until they're half grown.

I didn't read your post but a good barometer is if it flies, it dies. If it has 4 legs, it's a communist.

Reactions: Rulz
Just had to revive this thread...just shot a possum that was eating up the deer corn. He’s the 3rd one in a couple nights.

Nothing like a suppressed AR and a flashlight at 11 pm on a school night...

Now if I can keep from walking into those damn monster spider webs :eek:

Could have been a trick of light, but I swear I saw one take a huge dump that looked like the size of a house fly...maybe something fell out of the tree.

Man those things are huge. Some at least. And we have tarantulas on my hill too.

I like spiders since they help rid the air of the blood sucking buttholes, but I draw the line on cuddling up to one unknowingly....

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT