ADVERTISEMENT

Student loan debt.

Let's be honest and try to be understanding enough to see the other sides position on student loans. IMO some of these kids do have a legitimate argument and many were mislead and taken advantage of. I am in no way saying these people are not responsible for the debt but the government and many of the Universities bear some of the responsibility as well.
I saw an article the other day about Poland giving young people a huge break in their taxes in order to try and influence them to remain in Poland, instead of going abroad to make more money. it got me to thinking that maybe part of the solution to the student loan problem is for the government to provide tax incentives to help these kids payoff some of their debt. IMO that would be a compromise that would be a much better solution than the crap these Democrat Presidential candidates are throwing around.

Let's be honest and try to be understanding enough to see the other sides position on student loans. IMO some of these kids do have a legitimate argument and many were mislead and taken advantage of. I am in no way saying these people are not responsible for the debt but the government and many of the Universities bear some of the responsibility as well.
I saw an article the other day about Poland giving young people a huge break in their taxes in order to try and influence them to remain in Poland, instead of going abroad to make more money. it got me to thinking that maybe part of the solution to the student loan problem is for the government to provide tax incentives to help these kids payoff some of their debt. IMO that would be a compromise that would be a much better solution than the crap these Democrat Presidential candidates are throwing around.
I agree that these taxpayer funded universities don't have enough skin in the game, and should bear some liability.
But to just arbitrarily zero out the debt is untenable and flat wrong.

Another example of why the government should have never got into the student loan business (like so many other things)......in fact the ex-rodent in chief goat herding anti-American POS made it even worse https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...government-is-to-blame-for-high-college-costs when the moron signed legislation in 2010 to stop government subsidies to banks for the purpose of student loans with the result being the government became the first stop option for loans.

Notwithstanding the smartest president ever not understanding the implications, the government should not have been involved in this at all or ever. The background noise about forgiving debt now is simply another sop to the cretin's who believe they are victims instead of taking responsibility for their actions, including signing the dotted line for thousands upon thousands of dollars they will have to pay back.

My only suggestion is the student loan funding should be tied to projected market projections for future careers and the level of education you attain (BS, MS PhD etc). You want to be a doctor, engineer or teacher and so on then you should get a low rate and a higher max loan amount than if you want to go be a liberal arts major, a ____________ (insert any ethnic) studies, economics or any such other nonsensical type of degree field. Universities should be required to bid for "x" number of slots, from lenders, for veterans to get a higher ed degree as long as they pursue a degree field that has a lot of places at the table.

Another example of why the government should have never got into the student loan business (like so many other things)......in fact the ex-rodent in chief goat herding anti-American POS made it even worse https://www.usnews.com/opinion/arti...government-is-to-blame-for-high-college-costs when the moron signed legislation in 2010 to stop government subsidies to banks for the purpose of student loans with the result being the government became the first stop option for loans.

Notwithstanding the smartest president ever not understanding the implications, the government should not have been involved in this at all or ever. The background noise about forgiving debt now is simply another sop to the cretin's who believe they are victims instead of taking responsibility for their actions, including signing the dotted line for thousands upon thousands of dollars they will have to pay back.

My only suggestion is the student loan funding should be tied to projected market projections for future careers and the level of education you attain (BS, MS PhD etc). You want to be a doctor, engineer or teacher and so on then you should get a low rate and a higher max loan amount than if you want to go be a liberal arts major, a ____________ (insert any ethnic) studies, economics or any such other nonsensical type of degree field. Universities should be required to bid for "x" number of slots, from lenders, for veterans to get a higher ed degree as long as they pursue a degree field that has a lot of places at the table.
That's not bad.
Has considerable merit.

How about we go back to companies sponsoring students who would meet their employment needs? Company says they'll pay for your college if you become an accountant, teacher, engineer, whatever they need. When you graduate you've committed so many years to the company to pay back the investment in you. If you don't graduate, don't go to work for that company, or don't stay your committed time then you are liable for the difference in the cost.

Oh, and we already have free college. It's called the GI Bill.

This is definitely something I can get behind. I would also add that if you get a job w said degree, or any job really, and make payments on time, the interest rate goes down to basically zero. You should always have to pay back loans but should get more help w interest rates if you are paying back on time.

I think a lot of these hapless morons would be better served attending a trade school.
I knew a guy that made good bank as a MRI technician. (mechanic, if you will)
College isn't the be all to end all it used to be.
Besides, like Mike Rowe said...
"There are never any snow flake protests at trade schools".

I think a lot of these hapless morons would be better served attending a trade school.

20 years ago Dem party would have seen Rowe as a champion.

Not the fuk anymore. They are better than him and who he's trying to help.

I had a vet student with me last year and he was talking about the student loans that he and his wife (also vet student) had taken out. Between the two of them they had $620,000 in student loans. He had $220,000. She was at $400,000. ONLY the government would loan that much money, with no collateral or even a "plan" to pay them back. These two graduated last year and both got jobs. He has already quit his first job to go out on his own and within one year will be making more money than his first job and have the ability to be making extremely good money within 2-3 years. She is already wanting to quit her job. She is "burned out" and wanting to either manage her husbands practice or go back to school for another advanced degree (and more student debt).

We were talking one day and their student debt got brought up in conversation. Her idea was to make minimum payments for 25 years then take the government write off. They would be charged a tax penalty for the forgiveness and move on.

Many vet students I talk to just love animals so much that they aren't worried about what the cost will be or how they plan to repay their loans. And at least at OSU, they don't see it as their responsibility to completely inform the students on everything. They believe that a 21-24 year old should know what is heading their direction and make the best personal choices.

I had a vet student with me last year and he was talking about the student loans that he and his wife (also vet student) had taken out. Between the two of them they had $620,000 in student loans. He had $220,000. She was at $400,000. ONLY the government would loan that much money, with no collateral or even a "plan" to pay them back. These two graduated last year and both got jobs. He has already quit his first job to go out on his own and within one year will be making more money than his first job and have the ability to be making extremely good money within 2-3 years. She is already wanting to quit her job. She is "burned out" and wanting to either manage her husbands practice or go back to school for another advanced degree (and more student debt).

We were talking one day and their student debt got brought up in conversation. Her idea was to make minimum payments for 25 years then take the government write off. They would be charged a tax penalty for the forgiveness and move on.

Many vet students I talk to just love animals so much that they aren't worried about what the cost will be or how they plan to repay their loans. And at least at OSU, they don't see it as their responsibility to completely inform the students on everything. They believe that a 21-24 year old should know what is heading their direction and make the best personal choices.

Oh my.
That's brutal.

Reactions: iasooner1

Long ago, a brother earned a degree from Wichita State U. Oops! He changed his mind, went to a trade school and became a machinist. I'm certain brother enjoyed a much more lucrative career with his machinist skills. Four daughters graduated OU at his expense. No student loans.

My dad went to one year of college and as he puts it was asked to not come back. He then went to a trade school and became a technician for one of the oil companies in the state. Fast forward 20 years -he and mom saved enough to send 4 kids to OSU. I will pass along that gift to my kids if they choose to go to college.

One last note, he was able to retire at 59-so not everyone succeeds going to college. He and my mom did get granted honorary alumni status from OSU for all they have done for the school.

My dad went to one year of college and as he puts it was asked to not come back. He then went to a trade school and became a technician for one of the oil companies in the state. Fast forward 20 years -he and mom saved enough to send 4 kids to OSU. I will pass along that gift to my kids if they choose to go to college.

One last note, he was able to retire at 59-so not everyone succeeds going to college. He and my mom did get granted honorary alumni status from OSU for all they have done for the school.
You need to post more often.

After retiring from the army, my dad went to barber school on the GI bill. He retired as a barber at Snow Hall at Fort Sill. He just couldn't get away from the army. He once told me, as a teen the army was all that would take him.

I was stuck in a blizzard in Winchester, Virginia for my father's military funeral at Fort Sill. My wife said she had never seen anything like it. The Africans (Buffalo Soldiers), Comanches and Pales in attendance were something to behold.

The only thing my parents paid for was the gasoline in my car. I was able to pay for everything else, including car payment and insurance, with the GI Bill, savings and less that $6,000 in loans. Paid it back in 3 years.

Yes, tuition costs, rent, car payment, insurance, groceries, booze money, and all else was less than today. However, salaries were too. It's all relative.

lovethempokes is the only lady posting here that I'm aware of. In a forum dominated by masculine and emasculated stupidity, she's a voice of reason and insight.

Thank you for the kind words. There are times when I do want to post something but then step back and think do I really want to go down that rabbit hole that a few posters want to take things down.

Wow. Just curious but what is the typical cost of a full education in vet med from a school like OSU?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT