ADVERTISEMENT

Storm light archives

Cowguy

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2001
So I started reading these due to someone’s recommendation on here. Just finished the fourth. They are long, long, long books! Anyway, I feel like I have gaps that might have been filled in other books. Can someone recommend other books I should read to paint a fuller picture?

Really enjoying the books. Clever and compelling.

Reactions: Been Jammin
I think I have read most of his books if not all. People come up with a ton of stuff linking things that I would never have made the connection. In fact, I re-read the entire Stormlight Archive and a lot of the other books waiting for Rhythm of War to come out and still didn't catch on to some of the theories. I think a ton of stuff may come out when he does AMAs on reddit and other social media events. I'm just not that big of a nerd.

Reading his other works is highly recommended just because it's good stuff. But other than characters world hopping and seeing them show up in other books. It's more easter egg than plot imperative stuff.

Fun to discuss though, what did you have in mind?

FYI, I just finished he Way of Kings Prime - Sanderson's original story that he wrote for his graduate thesis. It was a hoot.

I should mention that reading the novellas might be advised. There's one between each book that tends to flesh out a character than plays a role in the interludes or becomes a bigger character in the next book.

His novelas are as long as normal authors regular books. Arcanium Unbound has a bunch of stories and the first novela in it. Although reading some of it before you read other Sanderson series would severely spoil plot points for Mistborn as an example.

I think I have read most of his books if not all. People come up with a ton of stuff linking things that I would never have made the connection. In fact, I re-read the entire Stormlight Archive and a lot of the other books waiting for Rhythm of War to come out and still didn't catch on to some of the theories. I think a ton of stuff may come out when he does AMAs on reddit and other social media events. I'm just not that big of a nerd.

Reading his other works is highly recommended just because it's good stuff. But other than characters world hopping and seeing them show up in other books. It's more easter egg than plot imperative stuff.

Fun to discuss though, what did you have in mind?

FYI, I just finished he Way of Kings Prime - Sanderson's original story that he wrote for his graduate thesis. It was a hoot.

Hoid (wit) is the perplexing piece to me. Im piecing together the Cosmere stuff. There is just so much and I don’t think I fully realized how much things intermixed. I need to probably read the novellas.

Hoid plays a very small role in most the other books. He shows up in almost every series, but rarely is it more than a single scene or two. More importantly, he's just as big of an enigma. We don't know any of his backstory yet.

He's in Warbreaker a little more and he even more in the Mistborn, but he's never a developing character like he is in the Stormlight archive.

Azure, the commander of the wall guard who teams up with Kaladen in Oathbringer, and Vasher, the Monk who teaches swords, are the two main characters in Warbreaker. Not that it brings a ton of information to the table.

People think there's a major character from Mistborn in RoW, but I don't want to spoil anything.

Hoid plays a very small role in most the other books. He shows up in almost every series, but rarely is it more than a single scene or two. More importantly, he's just as big of an enigma. We don't know any of his backstory yet.

He's in Warbreaker a little more and he even more in the Mistborn, but he's never a developing character like he is in the Stormlight archive.

Azure, the commander of the wall guard who teams up with Kaladen in Oathbringer, and Vasher, the Monk who teaches swords, are the two main characters in Warbreaker. Not that it brings a ton of information to the table.

People think there's a major character from Mistborn in RoW, but I don't want to spoil anything.
I’ve read all the mistborns. You’re not spoiling anything.

Damn @Cowguy ... seems like you read all 4 of those quickly. Impressive. I haven't started the 4th book yet. I read the first 3 as they were released, and had a tough time remembering what happened in the prior books due to so much time passing in between. I should probably read the first 3 again before the new one, but that sounds daunting to me.

I have read Mistborn, but none of the other Cosmere books. I'm an ASOIAF guy, and have read everything multiple times and feel like I have a really good handle on all the small details there. Not sure I have enough space in my brain to do the same with Cosmere. Sounds like @PDT816 has done the deep dive and is able to keep all the details straight. I know @TheRedSon also falls into that boat, but I'm not sure if he is still around. Haven't seen anything from him in a long time.

Kelsier

well isn’t that interesting? I just assumed them evil. The K involvement makes me question. PS. I like the first mistborn immensely more than the wax and Wayne’s

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT