ADVERTISEMENT

Stillwater Gets a Brewery!

GreenEggPoke

Redshirt
Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Sad that I had to learn this from my daughter that recently turned 21 but apparently Stillwater Brewing Company is setting up in town and will serve Iron Monk. I don't have a link for it but if you search Iron Monk in Facebook you should see it. Supposed to have their first beer ready in February.

Cheers!

Someone filled a bill that would allow liquor stores to sell cold beer. Of course I think there is a 1% chance it actually passes but hey ... it is something I guess.

You forgot one key coalition too ... rural. A lot of it is coming down to urban vs. rural legislators also.

The Liquor Lobby is likely the most powerful special interest group in OK. They are old and extremely well funded. The key players are a few families from OKC and Tulsa that are in the wholesale/distribution side of the business. One of them is much like the mafia in terms of power, control, finances and operation.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yeah, I don't know all the history behind it but what TC said is 100% true. The distribution side of the equation are extremely powerful and are the biggest roadblock to changing things.

Distribution strongholds are everywhere.

Chicago has some of the worst, yet they have had breweries for a while.

This is great!

Did the city give them a handout, like it did for Olive Garden or Academy? If not, then I'm assuming this is a substantial financial risk. But I think it can work. The production facility and tap-room model is the way to go. Can't wait to try it out when I'm back this summer.

Where did the brewers cut their teeth?

Is it downtown? Lots of properties on the southern part of downtown that look like prime locations for a small brewery.

Speaking of Chicago distribution, Prairie is reentering the market this week. I'm going to a tap takeover event at a place near me tomorrow. Can't wait.

Originally posted by tcpoke:
The Liquor Lobby is likely the most powerful special interest group in OK. They are old and extremely well funded. The key players are a few families from OKC and Tulsa that are in the wholesale/distribution side of the business. One of them is much like the mafia in terms of power, control, finances and operation.
The Lebanese liquor mafia in OKC is basically the Neifeh family. Really good people just "stingy". Had drinks with one of them the other day and they tell me high point beer sold in liquor stores cold, as well as liquor in grocery stores is inevitable. Said maybe not this cycle but on the ballot in 2020. There's hope.

Can you blame them? I can't. I CAN blame our politicians who are bought and sold likes whores.

Originally posted by Anodyne:

Is it downtown? Lots of properties on the southern part of downtown that look like prime locations for a small brewery.
On 6th (near Husband) I believe ... technically downtown and part of the BID, but not "Main Street" downtown.

Originally posted by squeak:
The old library?
Actually, across the street to the east of there. It's the old AT&T office building. Pretty plain. Brick exterior. Catty-cornered from the Thai Cafe (and backs up to Larry Gosney's State Farm Insurance to the north). I did a drive-by there this morning. No signage of any kind yet to let you know what's there.

Pics and stuff from their FB page:

This post was edited on 1/27 1:51 PM by Go Pokes

Iron Monk

Originally posted by Go Pokes:

Originally posted by squeak:
The old library?
Actually, across the street to the east of there. It's the old AT&T office building. Pretty plain. Brick exterior. Catty-cornered from the Thai Cafe (and backs up to Larry Gosney's State Farm Insurance to the north). I did a drive-by there this morning. No signage of any kind yet to let you know what's there.

Pics and stuff from their FB page:

This post was edited on 1/27 1:51 PM by Go Pokes
That interior has some real potential, judging from the pics. High roof, exposed beams (orange!), and I love the mismatched bricks--very mid-century modern.

My local pub owner received an invitation for a tour and tasting Friday. I got invited along.

Originally posted by CowboyJD:
My local pub owner received an invitation for a tour and tasting Friday. I got invited along.
Thats because I gave them a heads up on Facebook to holler at Graham and get their Iron monk beer in Skinny's.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IRON-MONK/418911608273142

facebook page

Originally posted by cactusjackosu:

Thats because I gave them a heads up on Facebook to holler at Graham and get their Iron monk beer in Skinny's.

And because Graham likes me more than he does you. Haha.

I saw where you did that. I told Graham that's why they called him out of the blue. Wanna hop in the car with us Friday? We're leaving around 3p or so.

Any ideas on what brews they are considering outside of the announced Milk Stout?

On their FB page, they also say they're planning to bottle an IPA which pleases me. It'll be fun to see what else comes out of there.

I saw where you did that. I told Graham that's why they called him out of the blue. Wanna hop in the car with us Friday? We're leaving around 3p or so.
I will be disappointed if this ends in anything less than having a seasonal or special release beer inspired and/or named in honor of the Non-Sports Board.

Any other week besides Super Bowl. My friday will be a long day and Saturday will start too damn early. I'd love to go though. Give him a tour of Stilly.

You're going to Skinny's with the gang for the Super Bowl, right?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT