ADVERTISEMENT

Stalking deer for photos

PlatteCoPoke

Heisman Candidate
Dec 21, 2001
I live in a newer subdivision that is surrounded by fields and trees. My house is on the edge. From my upstairs, I can get a good view of an adjacent field and I see does out there just about every night. Well Friday I spotted two bucks (only the second time I've seen a buck here in 3 years, first time I've seen two together). This evening I peaked out and saw them again, grabbed the binoculars and watched for a while. Then I saw a couple of other brown bodies and moved the view to them, two more bucks with a couple of does! So I have now seen 4 bucks at once, all of which are 6pt or bigger. I'm probably 150yards from where they graze. Can get a pretty good look with binoculars - really hope the only neighbors that can see me dont see me with those in the window. I want to get out and stalk one evening with the hopes of getting some photos. My wife has a good camera, but we're not talking a huge telephoto lens. Any tips other than "be quiet" on how to get closer to these guys? My only camo is for hunting in November, so I know I'll sweat my balls off if I gear up in that. Hopefully next weekend I can get some pics to post of these guys. Wife asked if I was going to orgasm over seeing them all out there... of course the answer is yes.

I'll repeat things you already know. Evening is best for you it seems. STay downwind of where you think they are coming from and would pass by. Being quiet is a must, including your camera, depending on the ambient sounds and wind noise. Avoid white clothing, darks with some pattern that breaks up your silloutte is best- it doesn't even have to be camo... I've seen some tropical shirts that might do nicely. Deer are color blind they say. Stay in the shadows, and having a little cover between you and them is a plus. Having a place to sit and be quiet and let them come to you is often better for whitetail. Stalking deer for closeups is very hard, in my experience. If you have some, put on some scentless bug spray and watch for snakes. ( I don't know if that is an issue where you live....) That's the obvious. A tree stand is nice. I know you also don't want to be seen by neighbors, I would guess. Stay until you can't take pics anymore and leave when the deer are already gone on their way, so you don't spook them for another day. Oh, if you put out some mineral or attractant in a place where you can see them from a concealed spot, it ups your odds dramaticaly. Good luck, and we'll be looking for pics!
This post was edited on 7/11 10:37 AM by TexasCowPoke

Some of those new razor side by sides run close to 80...test drive one of those and get a quickshooting camera. You will end up with some great action shots!

Month and a half later... And I've got nothin! Between being out of town M-Th every week and it being about a thousand degrees out... I never see them anymore. I did get one very quick glimpse two weeks ago, but it was only one of them and he was at least 300 yards away. Wasn't even gonna try, as I'd have been crossing a busier residential street in camo... Just too weird for me. Really hoping as it cools down I'll get a better look. My buddy keeps trying to convince me into taking a bow out there... But I just don't want to face any consequences if a neighbor sees me dragging a deer back home. Maybe I'll get lucky and hit ne with my Jeep ;). I do keep my field dressing knife under the seat.

I am really just a wildlife photographer. I just find that they hold still better when they are dead:)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT