ADVERTISEMENT

Spencer Lee vs Daton Fix

In a Ricky Bobby sense, you are correct.
A rare few are locks to make the finals every time they step on the mat. Lee and Fix are among that group.
Your statement was “light years”. Lee is not light years ahead of Fix.
You are right and I am wrong. Lee is not "light years" ahead of Fix. I do think Lee is "significantly better and more accomplished" than Fix. He is absolutely more dominant. Thoughts?

This right here. There are several things to complain about... Daton is not one of them. He wins. He scores bonus points. He has a world silver medal while wrestling at OSU. He's an all time great wrestler at Oklahoma State and still has a great chance to win two NCAA titles and become an Olympic champ.
Agreed, nothing to complain about Fix at all. He's been a very good wrestler and outstanding young man. I'm guilty of buying into all the hype from before he arrived in Stillwater. Spencer Lee's career has turned out how I thought Fix's was going to. Currently Fix is not in "all time great" status at OSU yet. You can't get that title at OSU without a NC. When he wins a national championship or two his status will elevate. He should, he will be 25 at this year's tournament and 26 if he wrestles next year! I hope he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: JAY45
Agreed, nothing to complain about Fix at all. He's been a very good wrestler and outstanding young man. I'm guilty of buying into all the hype from before he arrived in Stillwater. Spencer Lee's career has turned out how I thought Fix's was going to. Currently Fix is not in "all time great" at OSU. You can't get that title at OSU without a NC. When he wins a national championship or two his status will elevate. He should, he will be 25 at this year's tournament and 26 if he wrestles next year! I hope he does.
If Fix wins it all this year and next I would put him pretty high on the OSU list. Winning 2 with 5 chances has to be taken into account. He only has 4 career losses. One less than Spencer Lee. Daton’s losses have just been at the wrong time.

Reactions: OAMC99 and osu2082
Agreed, nothing to complain about Fix at all. He's been a very good wrestler and outstanding young man. I'm guilty of buying into all the hype from before he arrived in Stillwater. Spencer Lee's career has turned out how I thought Fix's was going to. Currently Fix is not in "all time great" at OSU. You can't get that title at OSU without a NC. When he wins a national championship or two his status will elevate. He should, he will be 25 at this year's tournament and 26 if he wrestles next year! I hope he does.

We really need him to win a NC here. It will really help all parties and I hope like hell he wins 2 of them.

Reactions: JAY45 and OAMC99
You are right and I am wrong. Lee is not "light years" ahead of Fix. I do think Lee is "significantly better and more accomplished" than Fix. He is absolutely more dominant. Thoughts?
Still disagree, but that’s ok.
Don’t want to take anything away from Lee as he is phenomenal.
He hasn’t had an RBY in his division.
Both are World Class.
If Fix has one NC, are we still having this conversation?
Agree that you need to win an NC to be all time great at OSU.
Fix is in a category by himself of near all time great, with no NC.

Here's the real question. Why didn't Daton pin his guy sooner on Sunday? More importantly, why won't Daton ever pin a heavyweight? Pretty sus

Reactions: DPJ
Don’t want to take anything away from Lee as he is phenomenal.
He hasn’t had an RBY in his division.
Both are World Class.
If Fix has one NC, are we still having this conversation?
Good points actually. If the ref did his job, Daton would have won in 2019 and the conversation would be different.

Something else to consider... Lee's best win at Nationals is over Suriano in 2018. But Suriano was likely not at 100%. He missed his last 4 duals and spent a week in the hospital with an infection just prior to conferences. At Big 10s, he won his first match and then defaulted out. I think Suriano dropped to 125 last year because he wanted another shot at Lee.

Good points actually. If the ref did his job, Daton would have won in 2019 and the conversation would be different.

Something else to consider... Lee's best win at Nationals is over Suriano in 2018. But Suriano was likely not at 100%. He missed his last 4 duals and spent a week in the hospital with an infection just prior to conferences. At Big 10s, he won his first match and then defaulted out. I think Suriano dropped to 125 last year because he wanted another shot at Lee.
I believe we are having this conversation due to our status in the team race for the past several years. We only have one wrestler we can talk about in an elite class and that is Daton Fix. We have one wrestler who can make it to the finals. I can remember in over 60 years of watching cowboy wrestling many times going to Nationals believing we would have 4-5 or even 6 wrestlers that would be in the finals. Fix is our only wrestler that has been in the finals 3 times. Knowing Daton this does not put any more pressure on him. If he never wins a national title he is still an elite class wrestler and an elite class human being. We are fortunate to have him at Oklahoma State and his future effect on our program will most certainly be great due to his skill and character.

Lee is even better at freestyle than he is at folk style. If his knees are healthy he is going to win an olympic gold medal

I don't even think he's wrestled FS in a few years tbh. Maybe not since his freshman year?

Iowa will win the dual that’s a sure thing. So bump Spencer up to wrestle Daton. Don’t think it will happen but would be very interesting to all the wrestling fans around the country.

Reactions: turfpoke
I don't even think he's wrestled FS in a few years tbh. Maybe not since his freshman year?
Yep, 3 years. He won Senior Nationals in December 2019. Beat NaTo in the finals & Vito in the semis.

Before that, he last wrestled freestyle in 2016 when he won his 2nd junior world title. So only 2 competitions in about 6 1/2 years.

Watching Iowa - Penn St. Lee gives up a quick TD then scores 18 straight points in 2 minutes for a TF. RBY hooks up a cradle against Teske in the final 20 seconds and gets the fall. RBY has looked really sharp the few times I’ve seen him this year

Penn St is always wrestling on the big stage either home or away. They put on a big production at home. Makes sense why PSU always delivers in the NCAA finals. They mimic that atmosphere.

Reactions: JAY45
16k in Happy Valley to watch Penn St - Iowa. Great for wrestling.

Overall a pretty boring dual for the average fan that tuned in.

To much riding, not enough TDs and a missed chance for a once in a decade matchup.

Overall a pretty boring dual for the average fan that tuned in.

Too much riding, not enough TDs and a missed chance for a once in a decade matchup.
The Ohio State - Michigan match right before had much more action. Matches between highly ranked wrestlers often tend to be rather boring to the average fan imo. Low scoring and highly technical.

Reactions: slickr3 and osu2082
The Ohio State - Michigan match right before had much more action. Matches between highly ranked wrestlers often tend to be rather boring to the average fan imo. Low scoring and highly technical.

Which stinks because that is dual that attracted of casual eyeballs.

Stole the below from Pyles but…

There wasn’t one match in that dual where both wrestlers scored a TD (Lee had a reversal and course tilted the heck out of the guy).

Iowa failed to score a TD in SEVEN weights last night.

PSU failed to score a TD in FIVE weights last night.

Which stinks because that is dual that attracted of casual eyeballs.

Stole the below from Pyles but…

There wasn’t one match in that dual where both wrestlers scored a TD (Lee had a reversal and course tilted the heck out of the guy).

Iowa failed to score a TD in SEVEN weights last night.

PSU failed to score a TD in FIVE weights last night.
The winning wrestler scored 4 or fewer points in 7 of the 10 matches last night. I believe all of those matches featured wrestlers in the top 20.

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT