ADVERTISEMENT

Special hunt results?

I got blanked this year . Last year drew in at McCalester and shot a skin head which means I got a free trip back if I want to go however, since I know nobody going I doubt I will.

Drew out to the Great Salt Plains... Anyone have any insight or info on those hunts?

Know several who have drew in there. What area?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

You know I don't know, and I'm not really sure how to tell. Just looked it up and it said we had been drawn and owed $20.00 before 9/1 How do you find out what area?

paid and did receive a map, however it does not indicate which area we will hunt and I know that there are several areas there. Just want to try to get all of the information possible for a succesful hunt

4 of us got drawn at Salt Plains last year, they did not tell us which area we had until the day of the hunt, you get your assignment and follow a ranger to the spot right then. The night before the hunt we drove around, saw at least 100 does and several bucks on the refuge area and were pumped up. When we got to our area the next day it was about 1.5 miles long by 3/4 miles wide and surrounded on 3 sides by private land with deer stands everywhere. Sand hills, thick creek bottom and tall grass, no food plots. We jumped a spike walking in Friday night and later that evening saw one doe hauling butt at about 200 yards. Sat morning I saw a nice 10 pointer in some thick brush, but didn't have my doe yet and wouldn't have had a good shot anyway. Saw a couple other spikes and some running does the rest of the trip. 1 out of the 4 of us shot a doe and a decent 8 point. We were drawn the last hunt of December, I don't think that helped our cause, but I would love to go back, there are some huge deer up there.

Did the four of you get to hunt together? Were there others in your hunt area? How did you know the paramaters of your hunting area? Did you take any stands or blinds? How many different hunt areas are there? Sorry for all of the questions.

The 4 of us that applied got to hunt together and we had the area to ourselves. Ours was fenced on 3 sides and they mowed a strip on the other boundary. You can take blinds or climbing stands as long as they do not screw into the trees. I think there were 10-15 areas around the lake and around 30-40 hunters. You must shoot a doe first, if you are caught with a buck down first or shooting does for others in your party there is a big fine and loss of hunting license, etc. They give you a cellphone number to call if you have a deer down and they will come pick it up if you wish. We camped behind the spillway, there were plenty of open spots available. Our hunt started on a Friday afternoon and was over at noon on Sunday. When are you going?

We are going 11/25 and really looking forward to it. Not sure if the hot dry weather will be hard on fall hunting or not, I don't suspect it will help. I have to say I'm a little discouraged seeing you only killed two deer. The kill percentage on the websight is well over 50% buck success. Anyway, it will be time in the woods in a place I am not accustomed to so that in and of itself will make it a good trip.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT