ADVERTISEMENT

Southern Scuffle entries

And no Nic P. I wonder if that means Lamons is our scorer at 157, or if Joe is officially out of redshirt now. I guess we will know when we see Joe's singlet on Friday.

No Schafer either.
I only count 17 and originally track had 19. I wonder if there might be 2 more added.

When I do a search in Trackwrestling it tells me that information isn't available to the public yet.....

Where's the scoop on the guys going to the Scuffle? You guys are letting me down.....

Preseeds/Seeds haven't been released yet, so here's a list of the teams, and the starters of each team that could/should be participating.
Teams: http://www.wrestlestats.com/schedule/tournamentparticipants?eventId=4463
Wrestlers: http://www.wrestlestats.com/schedule/individualparticipants?eventId=4463
Anything I would say about those not going would be pure speculation. I would prefer to speculate about the success of those that are going. Naturally they are all going to place high and I will be there to cheer them on.

Reactions: osu83 and capanski
Is there some kind of error or are there late entries because Chance Marsteller was in practice today and didn't look hurt

NY Wrestler
That is good to hear. There may be some reason to hold Chance out. There will be all kinds of speculation, but my gut feeling is that he and the coaches have determined that 157 is just too hard to make and he just needs to sit it out until next year. You can tell by watching him wrestle that he is capable of amazing things, but just not at that weight. Chance is very strong and guys like that look very small for their weight. As I recall he wrestled in the 160's in high school.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
So Flo has reported that Joseph Smith is still wrestling unattached maintaining his redshirt. However, they are also reporting that Marsden is wrestling attached thus dropping his redshirt. This is from their radio broadcast yesterday.

Maybe Chance has an "injury" that might still give him a shot at 4NCAA tourneys?

NY Wrestler
That is good to hear. There may be some reason to hold Chance out. There will be all kinds of speculation, but my gut feeling is that he and the coaches have determined that 157 is just too hard to make and he just needs to sit it out until next year. You can tell by watching him wrestle that he is capable of amazing things, but just not at that weight. Chance is very strong and guys like that look very small for their weight. As I recall he wrestled in the 160's in high school.

If that was the case, why wouldn't he wrestle at 165 at the SS?

Not sure, but if he is in the room that is good news. Watching him wrestle last year at 165 you could tell that was the weight where he belonged. You can also tell that by watching him wrestle at 157 as well.
This has to be very hard on a High School superstar to come in behind a National Champion and drop 8 extra pounds. I would be very impressed with his mental makeup to be competitive next year at 165. I cannot remember the stud that PSU recruited from Allen TX that has not wrestled much this year, but making the team at these two schools is not a given for anyone.

Official release from Oklahoma State pretty much matches the previous list except for Joe Schumacher at 141. Also, if I am reading it correctly the starter at 157 is Lamons and the starter at 197 is Weigel. This should indicate the redshirts are still on for Smith and Marsden.

Not sure, but if he is in the room that is good news. Watching him wrestle last year at 165 you could tell that was the weight where he belonged. You can also tell that by watching him wrestle at 157 as well.
This has to be very hard on a High School superstar to come in behind a National Champion and drop 8 extra pounds. I would be very impressed with his mental makeup to be competitive next year at 165. I cannot remember the stud that PSU recruited from Allen TX that has not wrestled much this year, but making the team at these two schools is not a given for anyone.

Do you mean Bo Nickal Penn States 174 pounder from Texas? He has been their starter all season and is 11-0 with 9 by bonus points and is ranked very high by all rankings.

Chris Perry wrestled 184 as a freshman then 174 from then on. Now 163. 8 pounds is that big a deal? It obviously was for Dean Heil and now look at the groove he is in. So we should expect great things from CM next year. Could Chandler Rogers have something to say at that weight also? We have to find a place for that kid. He is fun to watch.

Do you mean Bo Nickal Penn States 174 pounder from Texas? He has been their starter all season and is 11-0 with 9 by bonus points and is ranked very high by all rankings.

Yes, my guess is that is who he was referring to...and at 157, Penn State has RS Freshman Jason Nolf from Kittanning, PA, who is also 11-0 with 8 by bonus points and is also ranked high by all rankings.

Nolf was always known as the wrestler around CM's weight class.

Last edited:
Is there some kind of error or are there late entries because Chance Marsteller was in practice today and didn't look hurt
Official release from Oklahoma State pretty much matches the previous list except for Joe Schumacher at 141. Also, if I am reading it correctly the starter at 157 is Lamons and the starter at 197 is Weigel. This should indicate the redshirts are still on for Smith and Marsden.
Marsden RS has been pulled as Flo has said, not sure who will be the scorer at 197 but they had a wrestle off beginning of week and for the second strait time Andrew controlled the match winning 14-7. Schafer and Marsteller are in Johns doghouse, time will tell with them.

Reactions: osu2082
Yes, my guess is that is who he was referring to...and at 157, Penn State has RS Freshman Jason Nolf from Kittanning, PA, who is also 11-0 with 8 by bonus points and is also ranked high by all rankings.

Nolf was always known as the wrestler around CM's weight class.

Nolf was a 3 time pa state champ with one high school loss. He wrestled 145 his senior year. He lost in the semis at the pa championship as a freshman.

CM was a 4 time pa state champ and finished his career undefeated. He wredtled 170 his senior year.

can t wait to see the brackets. Smith v Nolf would be an awesome matchup. Maybe they are seeded 2 and 3 or 4 and 5. Not sure who else is in the mix.

Nolf was a 3 time pa state champ with one high school loss. He wrestled 145 his senior year. He lost in the semis at the pa championship as a freshman.

CM was a 4 time pa state champ and finished his career undefeated. He wredtled 170 his senior year.

and ironically, they are both wrestling this year at 157 pounds ;)

Body type has a lot to do with weight cutting as well. For the case of CM, he is thick. From what I notice from Nolf and Smith is they are a little taller and longer arms and legs. My guess is that CM had to lose a lot of muscle mass to get to 157. Just making excuses!

Yes, you are correct it was Bo Nickal. I did not realize he was having that kind of a season. This tournament should tell us quite a bit. I did not realize that the freshman at PSU were doing so well.

We could have 3 freshmen (2 already RS pulled, with one tomorrow morning) starting on our roster, and we are still a title contending team! What a recruiting class.That is what I'm hearing!:)

Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT