ADVERTISEMENT

Sons of Liberty - History Channel

MegaPoke

May 29, 2001
Tulsa
www.shipmanphotos.com
Fun. Not accurate. Shameless transparent advertising vehicle for Sam Adams beer.

I like it though. Not as historical fiction as much as an allegory for modern libertarian ideals against an oppressive government. The central character - Sam Adams is presented as an action hero who literally performed an Assassins Creed cutscene in the first episode, but I still really enjoyed it in a "Merica" kind of way.

And I totally picture this as having been pitched to the History Channel by a savvy young beer company exec. And that's ok.

Hank from Breaking Bad as Ben Franklin though... Terrible.

Anyone else watch it?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I liked it as well.

My only disagreement is that I thought "Hank" did a mostly okay job as BF.

Watched it. It definitely had an entertaining quality to it, but as you stated, was not that historically accurate. The show made it seem that almost every colonist was for independence, but we all know that was not the case. Breaking from Britain was a hard sell, not just among the wealthy but with almost half the population as a whole. Sam Adams was also portrayed as a generally well-liked guy among all the colonists. Not the case at all. He was seen by many as a trouble maker that was causing the Brits to clamp down on Boston. He does brew a decent beer, though.

I kind of feel like this the way I did about the fake shark "documentary" on Discovery Channel.

I would appreciate it if the History Channel actually stuck to history, what these guys did was quite dashing, heroic and exciting enough, no need to "gussy" it up with a bunch of factually inaccurate "lies." Thought it would be something I could watch with the kiddo, but I thought he has been exposed to a bunch of inaccurate history as it is, no reason to confuse him even further as to what the actual facts and historical record show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT