ADVERTISEMENT

Solving problem at HWT?

I think Stevenson is done from what I have heard. I think AJ could win at either weight, but it will be harder at heavy weight. He is a very rare athlete.

Reactions: turfpoke
Does he having issues cutting? I mean he did just win tonight, why move up when you give that much up?
I remember Vision Quest where the wrestler cur so much weight that he struggled with nose bleeds. AJ's nose was constantly bleeding. Maybe he has to cut too much weight? If he is you even need to give him more credit. Although he does not looked sucked out in any way and also has lots of energy after his matches to flex and stuff so who knows.

Reactions: EvilPOKES
AJ hinted he may be moving up. Problem solved.
Curious, what is the "heavy weight problem?"

The problem that needs to be addressed is how to score more points. AJ at 197 is almost a lock for NC next year and he should be able to wear guys out and score back points, majors to pins, he almost turned Amine. On a team like this year if you can score 2+ points at HWT thats a positive (how did we do there?), dont have to have 10 AAs to win a team title. There is the talent on this team to score more bonus at the tournament, theres no hurry to bump a sure thing at 97 up the 285.

Reactions: JAY45 and turfpoke
If Austin Harris improves as much next season as he did from last he is a solid heavy. He took down the 3 and 11 seed and made the round of 12. Maybe he’ll hang out with AJ in the weight room, that will push him to the next level. Add to that the confidence he had to have gained this past week. I don’t see anyone we currently have other than AJ scoring more than that. I wouldn’t bet against AJ at HWT, but I’d like for him to stay at 197 unless we have a finalist type to come in at 197.

I’ll repeat, I don’t see AJ at heavy weight. He doesn’t have the frame to bulk up. He’s skinny strong, which is perfect to be strong in a lower weight class, but he would be battling huge behemoths like Gable and Parris. At 97, he is quick and strong at HW, he would only be quick

Reactions: JAY45 and Mrgrapple
I’ll repeat, I don’t see AJ at heavy weight. He doesn’t have the frame to bulk up. He’s skinny strong, which is perfect to be strong in a lower weight class, but he would be battling huge behemoths like Gable and Parris. At 97, he is quick and strong at HW, he would only be quick
Skinny strong?

Reactions: driad
So, if we put AJ at HW, then who do we put at 97? AJ is a perfect fit at 97, so let’s go find a heavy. Why take a chance at hin at another weight when we have for sure points with him at 97. How did it workout for Sebastian Rivera to go up? I’m not saying he’s as good as AJ, I’m saying why take a chance when you have a for sure thing. Plus, Harris rocked it this year in the championships, I couldn’t have been happier for him

I think AJ can walk around at 220-230. I think Snyder wrestled HWT at around 230. Cassar beat Gable with speed. I’m pretty sure AJ is just as strong as anyone out there. He has man strength.

Since we're speculating, the only heavy I would favor over a 230 pound AJ is Gable Steveson. Gable is also super athletic and weighs around 265.

I would call Mason Parris a pick-em, he's big and athletic, but AJ seems more explosive to me.

Reactions: JAY45
I think AJ can walk around at 220-230. I think Snyder wrestled HWT at around 230. Cassar beat Gable with speed. I’m pretty sure AJ is just as strong as anyone out there. He has man strength.
Cassar was a Career 197 Who beat Gable Stevenson twice, but as a Heavyweight cassar lost To OK States Derek White, who had been 197 up to that year.

AJ is a lot better at 197 then Cassar or D. White ever were, Doesn't men AJ will beat Stevenson next year, but it is possible.

Reactions: JAY45
I think he waits until Gable is gone for sure and probably Parris as well. He wouldn’t be 220 HW. Snyder wasn’t either. AJ would be damn near 250, easy 240, and cutting down to 97kgs. 197 is way deeper but HW has two or three really good guys. Gable destroys him right now (as he should). When he’s 240 or bigger and Gable is in the wwe then we can talk. Until then it’s 197lbs.
Ferrari is an odd one but he’s good for wrestling.

Cassar was a Career 197 Who beat Gable Stevenson twice, but as a Heavyweight cassar lost To OK States Derek White, who had been 197 up to that year.

AJ is a lot better at 197 then Cassar or D. White ever were, Doesn't men AJ will beat Stevenson next year, but it is possible.
Cassar beat a baby fat Gable. Can you not see the difference in how he looks from last year to this year? Let alone this year and his freshman year? He couldn’t duplicate that result.
I think Cassar was a little more explosive than AJ is. AJ has the bigger frame. I think he could be 10-20lbs bigger than Cassar tho. I’d like to see it tho lol

Reactions: djb914
I think he waits until Gable is gone for sure and probably Parris as well. He wouldn’t be 220 HW. Snyder wasn’t either. AJ would be damn near 250, easy 240, and cutting down to 97kgs. 197 is way deeper but HW has two or three really good guys. Gable destroys him right now (as he should). When he’s 240 or bigger and Gable is in the wwe then we can talk. Until then it’s 197lbs.
Ferrari is an odd one but he’s good for wrestling.

One benefit Snyder had was the day before weigh-in rules for freestyle. That changed in 2018 to same day. So Snyder could be around 230 at Nationals and still cut to 97 kg a few weeks later for the US Open. Someone like Ty Walz from VT wrestled in the mid 240s in college. He didn't drop to 97 kg until after graduating.

I think AJ would have to go either 230/97kg or 260/125kg.

Looking at it a little more seriously, you'd think it was either a senior looking to use the extra year or a very good underclassman who can beat out Doucet/Surber/Haas(?) over the next few years.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT