ADVERTISEMENT

Solar?

Chillwell

Heisman Winner
Jun 16, 2001
I've been thinking about solar for our home. Does anybody have thoughts about the different companies, etc.?

I've been thinking about solar for our home. Does anybody have thoughts about the different companies, etc.?
I’d like to know in Oklahoma how much assistance you get. Thought I had heard that it’s one of the worst states as far as credits for installing solar. But I’m sure there are federal incentives

We have a 48-panel, 15.6 kW SolarCity system that was installed in late 2017. Technically its a Tesla Solar system as the acquisition of SolarCity was complete around that time.

We took advantage of both the federal incentive as well as a good Austin package (which has dropped off since then). It’s awesome to see our power generation, about 20 Megawatts per year.

At some point I want to invest in a few Powerwalls to use our power directly (currently we sell it back to the grid).

It’s been zero maintenance and whenever we sell the house it will certainly add significant value which is a nice perk

Last edited:
curious how many dollars 20 megawatts gets you?

I think the current buy-back rate is 9.7 cents per kW/hr.

Looking at my Tesla app, we generated 78.7 kWh yesterday, so we made about $8 if my quick math is correct....which is about what we see on the monthly paperwork - $200 to $300 per month. So it's not a gold mine but it does knock down our electricity bills significantly (at times nearly to zero). Goal of putting it in was to reduce monthly opex on our house so in that regard we've been happy with performance.

Ultimately would like to get those Powerwalls, as it would be more cost effective to use our own power directly and only draw from the grid when we need extra. But don't want to throw money at that....not yet anyway.

I think the current buy-back rate is 9.7 cents per kW/hr.

Looking at my Tesla app, we generated 78.7 kWh yesterday, so we made about $8 if my quick math is correct....which is about what we see on the monthly paperwork - $200 to $300 per month. So it's not a gold mine but it does knock down our electricity bills significantly (at times nearly to zero). Goal of putting it in was to reduce monthly opex on our house so in that regard we've been happy with performance.

Ultimately would like to get those Powerwalls, as it would be more cost effective to use our own power directly and only draw from the grid when we need extra. But don't want to throw money at that....not yet anyway.
Ya power walls plus solar would prob be in the 50 range. I say the solar tiled roof looks awesome. By that would prob be 65000

If Tesla comes out with a Powerwall 3 that shows as much improvement as the step from 1 to 2 it might to start making economic sense to a lot more folks. For now our setup is pretty nice.

We have a 48-panel, 15.6 kW SolarCity system that was installed in late 2017. Technically its a Tesla Solar system as the acquisition of SolarCity was complete around that time.

We took advantage of both the federal incentive as well as a good Austin package (which has dropped off since then). It’s awesome to see our power generation, about 20 Megawatts per year.

At some point I want to invest in a few Powerwalls to use our power directly (currently we sell it back to the grid).

It’s been zero maintenance and whenever we sell the house it will certainly add significant value which is a nice perk
What roughly does this kind of set up cost?

you have to figure a 10 year return...I mean it will take 10 years to get your money back. Isn't that about right? I had a company come out and give me a quote, and that's about how long it would take. They preferred putting those panels on the ground instead of on the roof which I didn't like...I don't think I like those ugly panels on my roof or my property. And that 10 year return was after the tax play. They put it up, financed it, and maintained it.

What does a hail storm do to a panel and what about insurance premiums on them?

you have to figure a 10 year return...I mean it will take 10 years to get your money back. Isn't that about right? I had a company come out and give me a quote, and that's about how long it would take. They preferred putting those panels on the ground instead of on the roof which I didn't like...I don't think I like those ugly panels on my roof or my property. And that 10 year return was after the tax play. They put it up, financed it, and maintained it.
You in NE ok?

What roughly does this kind of set up cost?

Out of pocket cost for us was $36,000. We had the option to finance the system as well, so with Tesla you have an option to get solar at zero up front cost.

I think the system cost in total was around $45k before local and federal incentives.

Easily 10+ years till payoff. I bet in 10 years you will sink more money in the setup.

Easily 10+ years till payoff. I bet in 10 years you will sink more money in the setup.

That’s what it seems like to me. My electric bill is less than $3600 per year and I’m 100% electric. I considered it because I like the idea of not being dependent on the utility companies but just can’t justify it. Maybe in 5 years the economics will change.

We achieved our goals - reducing monthly opex on the house and taking advantage of green energy generation. And potentially virtual independence from the grid if we wanted to equip batteries at some point. No additional investment in the existing system is expected.

We will also see increased value in our house when we sell it - some of that initial investment will come back years down the road.

Plus electricity rates will inevitably increase in the years ahead, where we have some protection from that.

You lost me at green!

That’s fine. Point is this was more than anything a decision to reduce monthly costs and that has been a success. Helping with clean energy is a nice perk but it wasn’t part of our math.

Resale value is also significant.

Reactions: Dally1up
That’s fine. Point is this was more than anything a decision to reduce monthly costs and that has been a success. Helping with clean energy is a nice perk but it wasn’t part of our math.

Resale value is also significant.
duke what do your setup cost?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT