ADVERTISEMENT

Sobering numbers

Jeff J.

Jul 6, 2003
Records for teams that bolted one conference for another. OU or UT the one to break the trend? OSU, assuming a move occurs?

Reactions: PokeAlum12
I would think most everyone here has a pretty good idea how A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado were before they left. And a pretty good idea on WVU and TCU

I think most everyone here had a pretty good idea how they've been since they left too.

I wonder what their records were in their previous conferences for comparison. Surprised on Louisville. Nebraska was on their way down already, but I expected with the division they went to that they could get going again. Rutgers and Maryland have pretty much sucked for a while. A&M is actually on the way up. I'd bet their record is pretty similar as it was compared to when they were in the Big XII. They were always middle of the pack. TCU isn't surprising at all. I know everyone thinks Patterson is some guru, but he was in the MWC. Utah was in a small conference too. Probably Mizzou's best coach ever had to retire for health reasons and they moved from a pretty weak division. I thought Colorado would get their stuff together and get it going again. It seems like the butt whooping we put on them in their bowl game broke their other coach who was getting some bravado going beforehand.

i think A&M has made great strides since joining the sec, and jimbo came aboard. their late history is much more telling than their early history in the sec.

How often does the SEC West play the powerhouses in the East? Feel like scheduling protects them from any sort of routine matchups....

For example, A&M has played Tenn (2016), UGA (2019), and FLA (2020) one time since joining the conference. This is why I think 9 game conference schedules at 14 teams makes the most sense for the SEC. Should they go 16, go quadrants and play 2 out of each other quadrant and rotate them yearly.

By the same degree, they've played...

MIzzou - 3 times
UK - 1 time
USC - 7 times (I assume this is the built in rivalry)
Vandy - 2 times

Reactions: SUPERPOKES
I think that speaks to the transition of going from one set of conference traits to another conference with players recruited for the original conference. In other words, A&M went with a bunch of Big12 kids that were mostly fast to the SEC where interior line play is king. They are recruiting to that and are improving. To a degree, I would expect the same thing to happen to OSU if we go B1G - they play a different style up there and we'll have to adapt. True, in bowl games we can shine, but just not certain that advantage will exist week in/week out. I don't think it will be that different if we go PAC - basically the same style of football, with the exception of Oregon, IMO.

Reactions: PTaxPoke
Lived in KC at the time and had a great time explaining to Mizzou people how they would have good deal of success initially and then fall of a cliff when their TX High School recruits graduated. Lots of fun throwing “told ya so” around the golf course.

Reactions: bwel9339
How often does the SEC West play the powerhouses in the East? Feel like scheduling protects them from any sort of routine matchups....

For example, A&M has played Tenn (2016), UGA (2019), and FLA (2020) one time since joining the conference. This is why I think 9 game conference schedules at 14 teams makes the most sense for the SEC. Should they go 16, go quadrants and play 2 out of each other quadrant and rotate them yearly.
I think the standard if conferences go to 16 teams, should be to have two divisions and four pods of four. Play everyone in your pod every year, and two teams from the other 3 pods for 9 conference games. You would play every team twice from the other three pods over a four-year period.

i think A&M has made great strides since joining the sec, and jimbo came aboard. their late history is much more telling than their early history in the sec.
Their first two SEC seasons were strong with Johnny Manziel

I don’t think we are built for week to week play in the B1G. We are going to have to get more beef on the interior of our Oline, and Dline. We also need to improve our middle linebacker recruiting. Hopefully joining the B1G will open recruiting doors to some of the Midwestern corn fed OL that Wisconsin always trucks out there. I do think our schemes will present lots of problems for a majority of the B1G teams. I think we will certainly do better than Nebraska has done in our first years in.

Going to the BIG would also open more doors in Texas and Oklahoma. Kids want to play on the biggest stage like SEC and the BIG. It would help negate the advantage SEC schools have in recruiting.

Reactions: o-state 78
I don’t think we are built for week to week play in the B1G. We are going to have to get more beef on the interior of our Oline, and Dline. We also need to improve our middle linebacker recruiting. Hopefully joining the B1G will open recruiting doors to some of the Midwestern corn fed OL that Wisconsin always trucks out there. I do think our schemes will present lots of problems for a majority of the B1G teams. I think we will certainly do better than Nebraska has done in our first years in.
Speed kills. We are faster than any team minus Ohio St and Michigan.

I wonder what their records were in their previous conferences for comparison. Surprised on Louisville. Nebraska was on their way down already, but I expected with the division they went to that they could get going again. Rutgers and Maryland have pretty much sucked for a while. A&M is actually on the way up. I'd bet their record is pretty similar as it was compared to when they were in the Big XII. They were always middle of the pack. TCU isn't surprising at all. I know everyone thinks Patterson is some guru, but he was in the MWC. Utah was in a small conference too. Probably Mizzou's best coach ever had to retire for health reasons and they moved from a pretty weak division. I thought Colorado would get their stuff together and get it going again. It seems like the butt whooping we put on them in their bowl game broke their other coach who was getting some bravado going beforehand.
Utah, over the last few years, has been doing well.

Reactions: CentralPoke
Speed kills. We are faster than any team minus Ohio St and Michigan.
Don’t get me wrong, I agree we have top of conference speed. It’s just going to take a few years to retool and develop the depth for the week to week physicality we will see in the B1G. I think we would definitely be in the upper third of teams from day 1.

Don’t get me wrong, I agree we have top of conference speed. It’s just going to take a few years to retool and develop the depth for the week to week physicality we will see in the B1G. I think we would definitely be in the upper third of teams from day 1.
We have an OL issue in our conference now. We need to show we are starting to get that corrected this year. Our DL depth is pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT