ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Pruitt and Devon

WCPoke

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Does Scott Pruitt have others write all of his correspondence? What happens if Devon is ever adverse to the State of OK? Bad precedent.

Scandal?

And if you don't think he doesn't already have a nice cozy job lined up for him with one of those energy companies (he's basically working for already) when he leaves office you're delusional. Why don't we just cut out the middleman and amend the state's Constitution to end running for office and just put them up to the highest bidder?

You think the other side isn't doing basicay the same thing? The EPA is a joke.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by hollywood:
And if you don't think he doesn't already have a nice cozy job lined up for him with one of those energy companies (he's basically working for already) when he leaves office you're delusional. Why don't we just cut out the middleman and amend the state's Constitution to end running for office and just put them up to the highest bidder?
That's the best part about getting elected. How many members of Congress went to work for big pharma or their lobbyists after Medicare Prescription D was passed? It was a bunch. How many members of the current Congress will end up working/lobbying for insurance companies after their time is done? Do the special interests a favor while in office and they take care of you when you're out.

Our government is bought and paid for....is this news?

Originally posted by WCPoke:

Originally posted by squeak:
Doesn't absolve him IMO.
Absolve him of what? It seems to further advocate for his position, he used information provided to him for that purpose.

Originally posted by GoPokes43:

Originally posted by WCPoke:

Originally posted by squeak:
Doesn't absolve him IMO.
Absolve him of what? It seems to further advocate for his position, he used information provided to him for that purpose.
Do you support the actions of Pruitt? I don't think the AG needs to a lobbyist while in office.

I guess I have a different view of the way the government operates. Don't constituents ask their politicians for help and if the politician agrees with them, he or she does what is asked? Where in the government does this NOT happen?

This post was edited on 12/8 3:25 PM by GoPokes43

WC, Shortbus - Still wondering what is so awful or unexpected here and how it differs from any other part of the political process.

Seems to me the NYT decided to look at attorney generals and consider how their offices are used and then made a series of articles about it (I think the first was in October). Of course, to make the reading enticing, they make it seem outrageous. Sure, some could be really problematic (e.g., Washington and Oregon AG's purported solicitations of 5-hour energy to make lawsuits go away), but otherwise it seems that the AGs have banded together to pursue changes at the federal level that they support. Not surprisingly, the democrats and republicans support different things. And, not surprisingly, they receive donations from individuals and businesses that support those same changes, and receive support in drafting language for letters, drafts of bills and regulations, etc.. This is part of every level of government. Private individuals and companies provide language for substantially all bills and regulations. Industry weighs in on proposed regulations, etc.. It's not like the politicians sit alone and come up with their own ideas for laws and regulations - they are doing what their constituents ask.

Yes, GO POKES and when some of those "Constituents" are capable of donating millions of dollars, form an organization specifically for the purpose of providing money to the campaigns of those AG's and then in return the AG's seem to do exactly as they are requested by those particular "constituents" it seems blatantly obvious to the rest of us "constituents" that they only way they are going to get their views heard or given any consideration is to get on the "pay to play" standard as well.

If I had a particular concern about a regulation, law, etc. and sat down and wrote a legal brief supportive of a regulation I thought important to protect the water, the air, or environment (and it went against what Devon Energy supported) do you honestly think that in a million years the OK AG would take my brief, change nary a word in it and forward it on as the State's position? Even if I got 10's of thousands of my fellow citizens of OK to support it, it would go in the trash can if it would upset the energy companies control over the AG.

This is an example of the Govt no longer being about what the people want or need, it's about what the corporate (paying) interest want, the classic "Golden Rule" - in that those who have the Gold get to make the rules. And if you truly believe that public interest groups like Sierra Club, etc. are even playing in the same ballpark when it comes to trying to rally up congressional or other governmental support on things when compared to their counterparts at Exxon-Mobil, you are sadly mistaken.

Also, if you believe that most of our elected public officials will take the side of the "people" and move to protect them in the face of lobbying, campaign contributions and crony nepotism by huge corporations, I would simply point to the incredible dangers and slipshod enforcement of even the minimal of environmental standards that has been going on in NC for the last 30-40 years in regard to coal ash storage. Duke energy has basically poisoned a river or two, the state of NC (read: Taxpayers) is likely to end up paying for most the cleanup and it appears that little or nothing will be done to the company or the execs who caused the problem. It pays to have friends in the state house and governor's mansion. But if you or I did 1/100 of the damage done by Duke Energy by storing old chemicals, oil, etc. on our property and it leaked out and contaminated a river or surrounding property, you can bet your ass we would get the bill, and likely a prison sentance, because we don't have the resources $ to make those sorts of friends.
This post was edited on 12/9 9:51 AM by hollywood

This post was edited on 12/9 9:52 AM by hollywood

This post was edited on 12/9 9:54 AM by hollywood

Again, I'm asking how this is different from the rest of political process? What about this AG is different than any other elected politician and the way our government works from the HOA or local school board to the President and Congress?

The problem I have with this is that the AG's job is to represent and defend the state in legal actions. The AG's job is to advise state agency's as to the law and issue official opinions when requested. It's not to be an advocate for private individuals. He's not normally a policy maker, lawmaker, or lobbyist anywhere but in legal matters.

His role is fundamentally different than legislators.

Originally posted by hollywood:
He's not planning on leaving office anytime soon. It is well known that he has aspirations for much higher office....Governor and then who knows how high?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT