ADVERTISEMENT

Schools Bring Back Chocolate Milk as Trump Admin Eliminates Obama Lunch Restrictions

"A statement from the American Heart Association said “when it comes to our children’s health, there should be no ‘flexibility.’

“Failing to meet the science-based sodium standards for school meals originally adopted by USDA will put kids’ health in jeopardy,” the statement read.

NPR reports the daily sodium limit recommended by federal dietary guidelines is 2,300 mg, or just over 1,000 mg less than the average daily consumption of kids in the U.S."

The AHA has about as much credibility as Toon these days. The anti-salt crusade started with some non-science oriented idiots in the Senate using really bad science to create health scare gospel. A guy by the name of Lewis Dahl claimed he had found conclusive evidence that salt caused hypertension after feeding lab rats the human equivalent of 500 GRAMS of salt per day. Yes, that's 500 GRAMS. The vast majority of humans don't even consume 10 grams of salt per day, if even close to that. The science just hasn't supported that salt is bad over the years.

bad science + government = really stupid things

"A statement from the American Heart Association said “when it comes to our children’s health, there should be no ‘flexibility.’

“Failing to meet the science-based sodium standards for school meals originally adopted by USDA will put kids’ health in jeopardy,” the statement read.

NPR reports the daily sodium limit recommended by federal dietary guidelines is 2,300 mg, or just over 1,000 mg less than the average daily consumption of kids in the U.S."

The AHA has about as much credibility as Toon these days. The anti-salt crusade started with some non-science oriented idiots in the Senate using really bad science to create health scare gospel. A guy by the name of Lewis Dahl claimed he had found conclusive evidence that salt caused hypertension after feeding lab rats the human equivalent of 500 GRAMS of salt per day. Yes, that's 500 GRAMS. The vast majority of humans don't even consume 10 grams of salt per day, if even close to that. The science just hasn't supported that salt is bad over the years.

@CowboyJD see what I mean? “Attention whore”

Sort of like the study a couple of decades ago about Nitrosamines in bacon. Those poor rats were injected with the equivalent of someone eating like 30-40 pounds of bacon per day for several years to get the results the researchers sought.

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
As my MIL works in food service for a school district, I am glad these restrictions are being changed. From hearing her stories and complaints with the USDA/FDA and the appetites of the kids, the restrictions were a shit-show.

another outstanding anecdote of the failure of otard nation.

take away PE hours and feed these kids crap to compensate

my youngest was skipping lunch because he couldn’t bring his own, thank goodness that has past

As my MIL works in food service for a school district, I am glad these restrictions are being changed. From hearing her stories and complaints with the USDA/FDA and the appetites of the kids, the restrictions were a shit-show.
Back in the dark ages when I was in elementary school we would bring frozen cans (pre-poptops) of soft drinks to school for lunch. By the time lunch came they were thawed but still cold. We would use a can opener (remember them?) to open them up. That lasted about 2 weeks and the principal issued an edict to stop us. Nothing to do with nutrition but everything to do with they wouldn't burn in the incinerator. Again, back then all trash was burned on site and the cans took up too much space which meant the incinerator had to be cleaned too often.

we had an incinerator, no a/c
said the lord’s prayer and got our ass whipped with a paddle our PE teacher called the force at taft grade school

in these times department of homeland security would take the kids and shut it down

thank god we survived

oh ya and

vitamin D milk with maybe 3 fat kids in the whole school

Man, I’ve worked at schools in Oklahoma for 7 years, and the whole time they've served pizza, hamburgers, nachos, all sorts of unhealthy shit. Food looks better now than it did when I was in school.

Reactions: CSCOTTOSUPOKES
I still LOVE chocolate milk. Don't drink it often but I never denied it to the kids and a lot of times drank it with them. I also made sure they got lots and lots of outdoor time and play. They never have had any weight or serious health issues.

You want to make kids healthy take away the video games and smart devices or at least limit it to a couple of hours a day. Chocolate milk, pizza or sloppy joes for lunch isn't the problem.

we had an incinerator, no a/c
said the lord’s prayer and got our ass whipped with a paddle our PE teacher called the force at taft grade school

in these times department of homeland security would take the kids and shut it down

thank god we survived

oh ya and

vitamin D milk with maybe 3 fat kids in the whole school
We all ran and played at recess. Then ran and played at home since TV sucked and we had no cell phones, computers or video games to make us fat and lazy.

Man, I’ve worked at schools in Oklahoma for 7 years, and the whole time they've served pizza, hamburgers, nachos, all sorts of unhealthy shit. Food looks better now than it did when I was in school.

interesting

several western ok school districts serve crap now based on fda BS

interesting

several western ok school districts serve crap now based on fda BS

The big difference I’ve seen is vending machines have changed. No soda or chips from student accessible machines. Teachers however can still buy a $1.50 Dr. Pepper from the lounge. Michelle didn’t get her grubby hands on those.

I do work at a pretty well off district, so my experience certainly might not be the norm. I’m sure some smaller districts don’t pay for a Sodexo to do school lunches.

The big difference I’ve seen is vending machines have changed. No soda or chips from student accessible machines. Teachers however can still buy a $1.50 Dr. Pepper from the lounge. Michelle didn’t get her grubby hands on those.

I do work at a pretty well off district, so my experience certainly might not be the norm. I’m sure some smaller districts don’t pay for a Sodexo to do school lunches.

the districts i speak of are rural and have
30yr vet cafeteria ladies who brought home cooking to their kitchens and were told they were doing it all wrong smfh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT