ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders' Internals

my_2cents

Heisman Winner
Oct 13, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: Bitter Creek
Lol they are all claiming Victory.

No, Biden's campaign isn't claiming victory. They are spinning that the results may not matter now, integrity of the vote, etc.

If Biden ends up in a distant fourth, all of this is a life line for him. It may not last long, but it completely changes the narrative from what it could have been had we got the results last night.

Sanders' Internals

We've known about Sanders' internals for years...

e899d3303309a6328094d674533879a5--full-of-shit-funny-pics.jpg

From the Sanders' campaign in Iowa, their internals show this:

Sanders 29.7%
Buttigieg 24.6%
Warren 21.2%
Biden 12.4%

Buttigieg's campaign claims their internals are showing they finished in first. Which I wouldn't be shocked is the case (are a very close second) once the party bosses decided to release the results.

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/04/sanders-campaign-release-caucus-numbers-iowa-buttigieg/

This is why I never bet on things. I really thought that Joe was a slam dunk for the nomination coming into the new year.

This is why I never bet on things. I really thought that Joe was a slam dunk for the nomination coming into the new year.

Just curious, but why did you think this?

I think it has been clear for some time that Biden's campaign was struggling in the early states.

From the Sanders' campaign in Iowa, their internals show this:

Sanders 29.7%
Buttigieg 24.6%
Warren 21.2%
Biden 12.4%

Buttigieg's campaign claims their internals are showing they finished in first. Which I wouldn't be shocked is the case (are a very close second) once the party bosses decided to release the results.

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/04/sanders-campaign-release-caucus-numbers-iowa-buttigieg/

Warren has already been picked comrade. Get used to it.

Biden's campaign put out a statement of more endorsements from the Democratic establishment in Super Tuesday states.

Meanwhile, no results from Iowa.

Just curious, but why did you think this?

I think it has been clear for some time that Biden's campaign was struggling in the early states.

He just seemed like an establishment pick. I never thought that Trump would get the Republican nomination for the same reason.

He just seemed like an establishment pick.

He definitely was/kinda still is the bosses' pick. But I think he clearly has them worried and they are now given serious consideration to Bloomberg and Buttigieg.

Biden could still win this nomination, he isn't out of it yet. But IMO, Biden made a mistake by running to the center in the primary and alienating progressive voters. His hope remains South Carolina, but what, are the party bosses going to withhold results in New Hampshire and Nevada too?:confused:

He definitely was/kinda still is the bosses' pick. But I think he clearly has them worried and they are now given serious consideration to Bloomberg and Buttigieg.

Biden could still win this nomination, he isn't out of it yet. But IMO, Biden made a mistake by running to the center in the primary and alienating progressive voters. His hope remains South Carolina, but what, are the party bosses going to withhold results in New Hampshire and Nevada too?:confused:

That was Bidens mistake?

Not the grift?

Reactions: launch
That was Bidens mistake?

Yep.

Biden should have came out and embraced the progressive left, just like Obama did in 2008 (that is how he beat Clinton). Instead, he tried to play the centrist card while essentially questioning the progressive left. I don't know why he thought that would be a winning strategy.

Caveat: Biden isn't out of this yet. The fact that we still don't have results from Iowa makes one wonder if the party bosses might be willing to take the whole **** party down in order to stop Sanders. But I think Biden would have been in a much stronger position today had he embraced the progressive left.

Yep.

Biden should have came out and embraced the progressive left, just like Obama did in 2008 (that is how he beat Clinton). Instead, he tried to play the centrist card while essentially questioning the progressive left. I don't know why he thought that would be a winning strategy.

Caveat: Biden isn't out of this yet. The fact that we still don't have results from Iowa makes one wonder if the party bosses might be willing to take the whole **** party down in order to stop Sanders. But I think Biden would have been in a much stronger position today had he embraced the progressive left.

I disagree with this. I really don't think that the country has a large enough voting progressive base in the swing states for Bernie to win the general election.

I disagree with this. I really don't think that the country has a large enough voting progressive base in the swing states for Bernie to win the general election.

No offense, but you also thought Biden was a slam dunk for the nomination and that Trump wouldn't get the nomination in 2016. Maybe your assumptions are a little off?

It is politics 101 that in a primary, you run to your base. Then, in the general, you pivot towards the center. Biden is running the opposite direction of where his base is during the primary. That makes no sense IMO. Maybe it will eventually pay off, but I think Biden hurt himself in these early states with that strategy.

As for Sanders winning in the general election, Sanders has built (is building) a passionate movement (similar to Obama in '08 and Trump in '16). He inspires young voters and brings new voters into the process. Sanders plays well among blue collar voters and even among some who held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016.

Sanders has the passion and movement potential to beat Trump. The 2020 election is going to be about turnout. Sanders can inspire the type of turnout that Democrats are going to need.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/3/21083839/bernie-sanders-trump-conservatism-iowa-2020

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/02/upenn-bernie-sanders-2020-politics-daily-pennsylvanian

Reactions: Bitter Creek
No offense, but you also thought Biden was a slam dunk for the nomination and that Trump wouldn't get the nomination in 2016. Maybe your assumptions are a little off?

It is politics 101 that in a primary, you run to your base. Then, in the general, you pivot towards the center. Biden is running the opposite direction of where his base is during the primary. That makes no sense IMO. Maybe it will eventually pay off, but I think Biden hurt himself in these early states with that strategy.

As for Sanders winning in the general election, Sanders has built (is building) a passionate movement (similar to Obama in '08 and Trump in '16). He inspires young voters and brings new voters into the process. Sanders plays well among blue collar voters and even among some who held their nose and voted for Trump in 2016.

Sanders has the passion and movement potential to beat Trump. The 2020 election is going to be about turnout. Sanders can inspire the type of turnout that Democrats are going to need.

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/3/21083839/bernie-sanders-trump-conservatism-iowa-2020

https://www.thedp.com/article/2020/02/upenn-bernie-sanders-2020-politics-daily-pennsylvanian

What are your thoughts on the overall Dem voter turnout?

Both. I'm a Ben Shapiro fan/listener. He made a comment today about how the Dem turnout was way lower than what was expected.

He registered that as the Iowa Democrats not being excited about any of the candidates.

We don't know what the turnout was. In a statement early last night, the IDP said the turnout was tracking with '16. Some are estimating it will be between '08 and '16 figures. I personally don't think one should read too much into the turnout number at this point.

Come November though, the Dems are going to need a slightly better turnout than they had in 2016 of course. That is why they need to pick a nominee who will inspire and can bring the passion.

More updated internals from Sanders' campaign with 60% reporting:

First Round
Sanders 29.08%
Buttigieg 21.63%
Warren 19.51%
Klobuchar 12.27%
Biden 12.04%

Second Round
Sanders 29.4%
Buttigieg 24.87%
Warren 20.65%
Biden 12.92%
Klobucher 11.18%

Both. I'm a Ben Shapiro fan/listener. He made a comment today about how the Dem turnout was way lower than what was expected.

He registered that as the Iowa Democrats not being excited about any of the candidates.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/04/iowa-caucus-low-turnout-110674
The biggest problem for Democrats wasn’t the vote count
In Iowa, the party was counting on Barack Obama-levels of enthusiasm. They got Hillary Clinton-level turnout instead.

More updated internals from Sanders' campaign with 60% reporting:

First Round
Sanders 29.08%
Buttigieg 21.63%
Warren 19.51%
Klobuchar 12.27%
Biden 12.04%

Second Round
Sanders 29.4%
Buttigieg 24.87%
Warren 20.65%
Biden 12.92%
Klobucher 11.18%

Looks like Bloomberg isn’t getting much bang for his buck.

Looks like Bloomberg isn’t getting much bang for his buck.

Bloomberg didn't compete in Iowa.

His strategy is to wait on Biden's campaign to collapse and become the party bosses' favorite to stop Sanders. He is focusing on the bigger states and Super Tuesday.

Reactions: iasooner1 and 22LR
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT