ADVERTISEMENT

rivers and streams...of oil

Was that too harsh? It felt a little harsh.
Like hitting a garden slug with one of these...
mushroom-cloud.gif

When I was vice mayor the EPA changed the drinking water regulations regarding disinfectant and their byproducts. This caused us a lot of consternation getting compliant. I know way too much now about TOC (Total Organic Carbon) and how it reacts with Chlorine to create byproducts. You know those simple things like Haloacetic acids and trihalomethanes and the chemistry to manage them in a water distribution system.

But I'm sure that Toon knows much more about that process than me. Guess what Toon? Most likely your local municipality injects ammonia into your drinking water. Are you okay with that? Of course they do it so that it binds with the free chlorine to create chloramine in order to prevent the above byproducts from happening. Do you want to know about the sampling processes as well?

But what do I know? It's not like I work for a major oil company or have any experience with EPA regulations regarding clean water.

Here is a little light reading if he actually wanted to educate himself:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P1009Q0H.txt
https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/public-water-systems-disinfection-byproducts-and-use-monochloramine
https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/stage-1-and-stage-2-disinfectants-and-disinfection-byproducts-rules
img-dad7131c-030b-4224-9297-fe5ae03c08e9.jpg

When I was vice mayor the EPA changed the drinking water regulations regarding disinfectant and their byproducts. This caused us a lot of consternation getting compliant. I know way too much now about TOC (Total Organic Carbon) and how it reacts with Chlorine to create byproducts. You know those simple things like Haloacetic acids and trihalomethanes and the chemistry to manage them in a water distribution system.

But I'm sure that Toon knows much more about that process than me. Guess what Toon? Most likely your local municipality injects ammonia into your drinking water. Are you okay with that? Of course they do it so that it binds with the free chlorine to create chloramine in order to prevent the above byproducts from happening. Do you want to know about the sampling processes as well?

But what do I know? It's not like I work for a major oil company or have any experience with EPA regulations regarding clean water.

Here is a little light reading if he actually wanted to educate himself:
https://nepis.epa.gov/Exe/ZyPDF.cgi?Dockey=P1009Q0H.txt
https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/public-water-systems-disinfection-byproducts-and-use-monochloramine
https://www.epa.gov/dwreginfo/stage-1-and-stage-2-disinfectants-and-disinfection-byproducts-rules

giphy.gif

Read the article and while it lacks a ton of the details, it seems that’s because most of the details haven’t been finalized.

As someone who works in O&G, this action has been in the works for a long time and should certainly be considered. Per the article, the EPA, the O&G industry, and independent groups appear to be working together to formulate rules and regulations that will allow for an environmentally friendly way for producers to dispose of produced water in some manner other than injecting the water in deep injection wells where the water will never been heard from again and could cause seismic issues. I don’t see a loser here?

Other than the people that have to listen to the shrieking.

FYI...the midstream folks have been doing this for decades with hydrotest water.......SSSSSSSHHHHHHHH....don’t tell anybody though.

Read the article and while it lacks a ton of the details, it seems that’s because most of the details haven’t been finalized.

As someone who works in O&G, this action has been in the works for a long time and should certainly be considered. Per the article, the EPA, the O&G industry, and independent groups appear to be working together to formulate rules and regulations that will allow for an environmentally friendly way for producers to dispose of produced water in some manner other than injecting the water in deep injection wells where the water will never been heard from again and could cause seismic issues. I don’t see a loser here?

Other than the people that have to listen to the shrieking.

FYI...the midstream folks have been doing this for decades with hydrotest water.......SSSSSSSHHHHHHHH....don’t tell anybody though.

Filled, hydro tested and drained a new tank at Magellan in west Tulsa.

Hooked hose and a pump to a city hydrant, pumped it into the tank for 9ish days round the clock till the float reached the top and was full for a hydro test of the welds, then pumped out the drain into the stream bed in the back of the tank farm.

Hooked hose and a pump to a city hydrant, pumped it into the tank for 9ish days round the clock till the float reached the top and was full for a hydro test of the welds, then pumped out the drain into the stream bed in the back of the tank farm.

Okay. What’s your point?

YOU did it?

Yup. We actually pumped off 2 hydrants t-ed into a diesel pump into the tank. When draining pumped the water out and ran hose out to the back of the tank farm, stream bed back there. Was a pond in short order haha

Yup. We actually pumped off 2 hydrants t-ed into a diesel pump into the tank. When draining pumped the water out and ran hose out to the back of the tank farm, stream bed back there. Was a pond in short order haha
How do you possibly live with yourself after polluting groundwater. Monster.

So you put tap water into a clean vessel and then emptied it and you consider that contaminated water? Damn dude, you ever wash a car in the drive way? That's probably worse than what you say you did. That's a weak indictment of the oil and gas industry regarding pollution.

And again, that in no way makes you knowledgeable on drilling waste water disposal practices or the technology or chemistry involved in cleaning water to a degree that is acceptable by the EPA.

So you put tap water into a clean vessel and then emptied it and you consider that contaminated water? Damn dude, you ever wash a car in the drive way? That's probably worse than what you say you did. That's a weak indictment of the oil and gas industry regarding pollution.

And again, that in no way makes you knowledgeable on drilling waste water disposal practices or the technology or chemistry involved in cleaning water to a degree that is acceptable by the EPA.

He said Magellan has done this with hydro test water, and I answered because I know that doesn’t well represent a proper definition of “wastewater”, in comparison to that used in actual processes, such as cleaning and cooling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT