ADVERTISEMENT

Ring doorbell

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
Anyone have one of these things and does it actually work? I just bought one and installed it and I've literally spent the last 2+ hours trying to get this thing to work. Is it just me?

battery powered or hard wired? Both should be pretty simple. 2 wires to connect or charge the battery.

I had ring and switched to Nest, better camera and better software. With ring I was getting video of peoples backs as they were walking away , I talked to support many times and they were never able to resolve the issue.

Made the switch to Nest and it was a much better picture quality and it's always recording.

I got a Eufy doorbell camera because there's no monthly subscription.

If your house is older (like 20 years or older), there is a decent likelihood you will need to change the doorbell transformer. I had to replace mine as the transformer wasn't powerful to keep it charged. Its a known issue that Ring doesn't bother to mention in its install directions. I found it by googling it.

Reactions: tcpoke
My problem is where the doorbell is located its off to the side and I simply don't want to grind the cement between the bricks and run new wiring to where I would need to put a Nest. I wanted one of those but Ring had the peephole camera. Finally got it working (no help to Ring), it's been ok for the day, you are right about the recording only getting people walking away. Live video is ok though.

My Only issue with Ring is that I get an alert and it takes 10-15 seconds before the video comes up. Not sure what the issue is but it’s very frustrating.

Reactions: Winston Havelock
I have a nest thermostat and it's great. It was no easy installation as seen on their website. Had it put in when a new a/c was installed...and it took them a while to get it up and running. Have a Ring doorbell and it works pretty good. Had issues with the battery only lasting a week or so and they just kept sending me new ones to fix it. It took 3 but it holds a charge for 3 weeks or so and notifies me when the battery is low.

I have a nest thermostat and it's great. It was no easy installation as seen on their website. Had it put in when a new a/c was installed...and it took them a while to get it up and running. Have a Ring doorbell and it works pretty good. Had issues with the battery only lasting a week or so and they just kept sending me new ones to fix it. It took 3 but it holds a charge for 3 weeks or so and notifies me when the battery is low.

That's the issue i had. If you change your doorbell transformer, it will keep the battery charged.

Reactions: tcpoke
That's the issue i had. If you change your doorbell transformer, it will keep the battery charged.
I didn't hard wire it...I have to have the battery version. The battery just wouldn't last very long. Now it does.

Reactions: inspoke
I've had both and much prefer the Nest , it's just my opinion. If your like Inky and you need the battery then Ring is your best option.

Ive been fine here but my hood is off a semi main road in SA. The two blocks closer to the road than me have had several Ford trucks stolen or vehicles broke into. My side hustle has gone pretty good lately and Ive bought some tools etc for the garage. Was thinking I really need to get some cameras etc out here and this thread caught my attention.

There is a dude two doors down who sells Ring, but the guy has always given me the pervert vibe so I wouldnt want to do business with him. Guess Ill be looking into Nest etc.

Make sure your WiFi is set to 2.4GHz. I don’t think they work at 5GHz.

I got mine hooked up pretty easy...BUT...my transformer was too powerful (just opposite of those that have too weak of one) and my doorbell hummed where I installed the Ring thingy. I have an upstairs and down stair doorbell so I switched it and it still hummed. Gave in went and bought a lower transformer and...it still hummed.
I just unhooked the up stair bell and things got better. Between my poor hearing and probably getting used to it...I don't notice the hum much any more. Oh and it is annoying to have to wait for the video to appear once you are notified. But other than, we like it. Well, except the racoon that triggers it around 2:15am occassionaly.

Reactions: HighStickHarry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT