ADVERTISEMENT

Rex

slickr3

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2011
Just watched John’s coaching show and got the full Rex experience. Rex can’t help but hold the mic as close as he can to his mouth and it’s basically inaudible.

Do we have any hope of getting a new radio guy?

Just watched John’s coaching show and got the full Rex experience. Rex can’t help but hold the mic as close as he can to his mouth and it’s basically inaudible.

Do we have any hope of getting a new radio guy?
Amen.Either he is drunk all the time or loves the mic flavor.This did not just start.I have thought this for years.John will decide when it is time for new blood.

Where you do watch the coaching show?

To nerd out a bit, his mic technique can be compensated for at the sound board. Reduce the input gain/trim, reduce the lows/bass, then boost the signal at the output stage.

Have watched the coaches show as well and can confirm that Rex in fact drinks beer and eats chips and queso during the broadcast. As a previous poster mentioned, he holds the mic (headset) extremely close to his mouth, damn near swallowing it. I think he does this because he doesn't want to pick up any outside interference while at a loud restaurant. The direct sound to the mic produces something called a "proximity effect" and explains the exaggeration of the low frequency sounds in his voice and breathing. The best way I can explain it is trying to hear someone speak on their cell phone when they are outside with hard blowing wind into the phone mic.

My annoyance is with his voice. It sounds very nasally when he talks, like his nose is completely congested and he can only breathe from his mouth out of desperation. I wonder if that was how radio guys were trained to speak years ago? As long as he's been doing this, I wouldn't expect anything to change. Luckily, John sounds totally clear and fine and that is who you want to hear talk anyway. Oh well, no hard feelings to Rex, just constructive criticism.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
I do not know what the rift was between J Carl and the program was, but he was the best. He understands and is a major fan of wrestling. There may not be a rift, but just want to use the "OSU guy" I love the broadcasts that Leroy Smith and J Carl do together. Being an out of stater this is important to me.

Reactions: oberebo
I do not know what the rift was between J Carl and the program was, but he was the best. He understands and is a major fan of wrestling. There may not be a rift, but just want to use the "OSU guy" I love the broadcasts that Leroy Smith and J Carl do together. Being an out of stater this is important to me.
H Moore with J Carl is better. Lee Roy is losing it a bit. Young guy with an old guy ok for now but we need two younger guys that know how to call a neutral match.

H Moore with J Carl is better. Lee Roy is losing it a bit. Young guy with an old guy ok for now but we need two younger guys that know how to call a neutral match.
Kind of on theme with the "get fresh energy around the program" vibes

It has been fun watching duals as more and more get broadcast. There is a wide variety of announcers. I find myself enjoying when at least one of the announcers knows wrestling and likes explaining what's going on. Even though I've been a fan since the 90s there's so much I don't know and it's cool to grow my knowledge.

Are you referring to Hardell Moore? I have not heard his broadcast, but sat by his parents at Nationals one year and they were very sharp and grasped wrestling. If Hardell is as bright as Mom and Dad he could give incredible insight.

Reactions: bwel9339
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT