ADVERTISEMENT

rewards credit cards. let's talk about them.

kjcba8101

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I've recently made $33k worth of purchases on my capital one rewards card. I'll pay it off within 30 days
My question is this - is there a better card to use? I'm gonna a get some serious air miles and will continue to burn through a lot of money from my business.

I want to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my buck.

What do you boys use?

We use Southwest Rewards from Chase. I've considered switching, but have it for a long time and their rewards program is simple and pretty much hassle free. I don't fly as much anymore, but 2015 will be the 5th consecutive year for my wife (or whomever I designate) to have a companion pass so that is nice.

We use it like you describe using yours, although we've never run up $33 grand in one month. This year we did purchase double hung replacement windows for our entire house and charged them (in two stages), as well as a bathroom rehab job, and repair/rehab of our outside paver "piazza" and firepit install. Oh, and a trip to Sandals St. Lucia.

I use a Capital One as well. 2% rewards if redeemed for travel, 1% if redeemed for cash. I've never found anything better for our purposes. I know Discover does 5% in certain categories for limited time frames but I've never felt I'd come out ahead doing that.

Im buying equipment from a couple companies that are letting me pay by card. My goal is to buy $200-400k from them and get between 400-800k frequent flyer miles. That's a lofty goal and may be out of my league, but Im a big dreamer.

Is there a card that's better when you spend that much?

Ive searched it a little bit and didn't really yield any results.

A card that allows points for purchases is probably better than one that offers miles.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Frequently there is a cap on rewards. Be sure to check that.

We use a Fidelity Amex that gives 2% cash on everything.

Cap One Venture card for all personal matters. 2% back on a monthly $1800 daycare bill is nice.

Southwest Rapid Rewards Business card for work. Mainly because its easier to keep work separate from personal, and has a significantly higher limit than my Cap One card.

Originally posted by GoPokes43:
Frequently there is a cap on rewards. Be sure to check that.

We use a Fidelity Amex that gives 2% cash on everything.[/B]
Same here. See point above. Miles are nice, cash is better.

Dad used to buy all his materials for his construction company on a Cabelas card.

Christmas time at his house was the epicenter for UPS.

If you spend more than 110k a year on a credit card and want to travel the US and some near international destinations, the best card to have is the Southwest AIrlines Visa. The reason for the 110k threshold is that, if you spend at that level in a calendar year, you get a companion pass. A companion pass allows a person of your choice to travel with you on any SW flight that you are on. The pass is good from the day 110k points have posted to your Rapid Rewards account through the end of the FOLLOWING year. You must requalify on an annual basis. The companion can be changed up to 3 times per year. Since Jan 1, my family of 4 (i have 2 companion passes) has flown from TUL to San Diego, Seattle, Aruba, Houston and Phoenix roundtrip for the cost of the taxes only. Wife and I are currently in Dominican Republic by using the points and companion pass. Southwest recently starting flying here. I qualified for the second one by taking out 2 SW Visas in my wife's name in a short time period. Each offered 50k points once i met the minimum spend of 3k in 3 months. Only had to come up with an additional 4k in spending to get companion pass for my wife. I won't requalify for the second one this year so it will only be good through the end of 2015.

For 2015, I will requalify one pass by spending 110k on it then I will shift spending to other cards to maximize my travel return. There are entire websites dedicated to this topic. One of my favorites is frugaltravelguy.com. Check it out. He has his top 30 rated cards listed.

Frugal Travel Guy

I have the Capital One Venture card, I love the 3% on everything. And have used it 2 times for travel, the only problem is that you have to have the points for your ticket because they (travelosity) wont let you pay for the difference.

I travel quite a bit for work. Mostly drive company car for a week at a time. I have a Marriott Rewards card, because I prefer Marriott hotels. Provides me several free Marriott nights per year and free food and upgrades when travelling for work.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Chase freedom. I find, dollar for dollar, the cash adds up quicker than miles.

Thinking of looking into Amex blue cash preferred, discover it and also chase sapphire. We run dang near everything through the cards. A half percent more can add up.

Originally posted by inspoke:
If you spend more than 110k a year on a credit card and want to travel the US and some near international destinations, the best card to have is the Southwest AIrlines Visa. The reason for the 110k threshold is that, if you spend at that level in a calendar year, you get a companion pass. A companion pass allows a person of your choice to travel with you on any SW flight that you are on. The pass is good from the day 110k points have posted to your Rapid Rewards account through the end of the FOLLOWING year. You must requalify on an annual basis. The companion can be changed up to 3 times per year. Since Jan 1, my family of 4 (i have 2 companion passes) has flown from TUL to San Diego, Seattle, Aruba, Houston and Phoenix roundtrip for the cost of the taxes only. Wife and I are currently in Dominican Republic by using the points and companion pass. Southwest recently starting flying here. I qualified for the second one by taking out 2 SW Visas in my wife's name in a short time period. Each offered 50k points once i met the minimum spend of 3k in 3 months. Only had to come up with an additional 4k in spending to get companion pass for my wife. I won't requalify for the second one this year so it will only be good through the end of 2015.

For 2015, I will requalify one pass by spending 110k on it then I will shift spending to other cards to maximize my travel return. There are entire websites dedicated to this topic. One of my favorites is frugaltravelguy.com. Check it out. He has his top 30 rated cards listed.
I need to look into how I can get that 2nd companion pass for 2016.

Originally posted by Marshal Jim Duncan:

Originally posted by inspoke:

I need to look into how I can get that 2nd companion pass for 2016.

Feel free to email me at osufan1@cox.net to talk further. You will want to get started soon so you can have it for almost 2 full years.

That's one of the best cards to have too. Points are transferable to lots of other reward programs on a 1 to 1 basis and free rooms require less points than most other hotel programs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT