ADVERTISEMENT

Retirement

OSUFanbigtime

2nd Team
Jun 28, 2002
Looks like the company that I work for is going to have a great severence package to be offered in the first quarter of 2016. I'm seriously thinking about taking it.

After graduating from OSU in 1981 and working for the same company it's hard to believe retirement is just around the corner. Been a great ride.

For those who have just retired what are the things that you have encountered that surprised you the most?

I decided to live in Cedar City, Utah. Lots of outdoor activities, small clean city, low cost of living. St. George is 80 miles to the south and is a retirement Mecca.
I based my living on 4% rate of inflation, not taking a cut in pay. My retirement salary will be the same as my 2016 salary.
Never to touch my principle.

Off topic, OSUFan, but how do you like Utah? My wife may end up dragging me to that area of the country, sort of, if she goes the Academia route. Well, a little more north than that, Boise, but I would assume lifestyle, weather, etc., would be similar.

Good luck in your soon-to-be retirement!

I picked SW Utah because of the outdoor activities. The winters are really mild because the air is so dry. When the temperatures are in the 20's, the sun is shining and there is no wind it's incredible weather. The summers are not to hot.

I like the vast openness of the west that are surrounded by forests and mountains. Lots of great skiing, hiking , fishing and hunting.

I lived in NW New Mexico for 11 years and really enjoyed all the aspects of that lifestyle, except for the lack of college football. NM is horrible in regards to college football.

I'm not retirement age, but congratulations to you on working for a company that rewards loyalty and hard work. I have several customer's and acquaintances who have retired and to my surprise they say the first one to two months are the hardest. They say going from being occupied all day to not is something they didn't expect. One of the biggest things they missed was interaction with coworkers and customers.

Thanks tpoke as I've heard the same. My super. Retired last month and it took him two weeks just to unwind

I have 25 or so years until retirement... but after a couple months off, I fully intend to work at Home Depot part-time. I'd go insane with nothing to do. Hope that helps.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT