ADVERTISEMENT

Respect for JMW

BiloxiPoke

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jul 16, 2012
Since Boynton was fired and Lutz was introduced, I’ve become an even bigger fan of John-Michael Wright. He’s out of eligibility and I’m sure his collegiate career didn’t end the way he’d hoped. But he’s displayed good leadership in looking out for his Cowboy teammates, up to and including the moment he raised his hand to put Lutz on the spot during his introductory presser.

I saw these quote from an O’Colly article not long after the Lutz presser and wanted to share:

“All the guys that I spoke to who have the potential of leaving, I told them all of them to wait it out and see who the new coach is, and let him plead his case first. Because regardless whether your coach gets fired and you’re in the portal, you’re getting a new coach anyway," Wright said.

“So if you’re already established in one area, you might as well see who the new coach is, what his background is, see what he feels about you, maybe work out a little bit, so that now you both have an understanding of who each other are, and you have an easier way of navigating whether you want to leave or not.”

“I know we had a lot of young guys last year who are trying to return, and they never really experienced this,” Wright said. "And I've experienced coaching changes. And I know certain coaches come in and they want to play different styles, and they may not like a certain player, so I wanted it to be out there for everybody that (if the players were to say), 'OK, coach, if I decide to say and you don't like my game, will you tell me before May 1 so I can get in the portal or will it be like, beat around the bush, wait a couple of weeks, and then I'll make my decision?' And that's really what I wanted to get clear for the guys. You know, so they had a clear understanding of, OK, this is what he said in front of everybody, so when I have this meeting (with Lutz), it should be honest.”

Wright said in another article that he’ll always consider himself an OSU Cowboy and he was appreciative of the fans. He said while he’s still young, he wants to see if his playing career can continue. But he would like to be a coach some day. I wouldn’t mind it at all if he found his way back as an assistant coach in Stillwater.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News