ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits visiting

osu2082

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2006
Looks like Carson Kharchla will visit Oct. 12. He may be the hottest recruit in the country right now.

Also another Fargo breakout star Ridge Lovett will visit middle to late Oct. he knocked off Bartlett and almost upset Decatur.

Flo had a good segment on Kharchla yesterday. They all initially on instinct picked Kharchla to the good guys. Then they back tracked and changed to Ohio State because they really thought Tom Ryan wouldn't let a local kid like that leave.

They brought up an interesting debate about if we would take Kharchla over Plott. Obviously Kharchla right now is the better wrestler but would you pass on a local stud, especially OSU who doesn't lose the blue chip, instate talent? I kind of just assumed, if Kharchla wanted to come here we would take them both.

Flo had a good segment on Kharchla yesterday. They all initially on instinct picked Kharchla to the good guys. Then they back tracked and changed to Ohio State because they really thought Tom Ryan wouldn't let a local kid like that leave.

They brought up an interesting debate about if we would take Kharchla over Plott. Obviously Kharchla right now is the better wrestler but would you pass on a local stud, especially OSU who doesn't lose the blue chip, instate talent? I kind of just assumed, if Kharchla wanted to come here we would take them both.
I do not think it is an either/or situation. They will not be the same weight in college. I want them both and do not feel we have to choose one or the other. Yes, there is an argument that Tom Ryan would want to recruit a nearby recruit but then it all comes down to the wrestler and who he wants to represent and who he wants to coach and whether or not he is comfortable living farther away.

From the little scuttle that is out there I do think we are the leaders and yes OhSt will be tough to beat but we have been on him the longest and he and his dad seem like the type where that will really mean something.

I agree and think we absolutely would take both as I just don't see them being the same weight in college.

There is some good momentum going right now. Hopefully we can close the deal on 3 or 4 of these guys.

A prospect/ID camp is open to everyone, but tend to be heavily filled with kids looking to get noticed by a program, or kids specifically invited by coaches. It gives coaches opportunity to see how kids practice, & their work ethic over a weekend. It also gives the kids a chance to be on campus, go through practice with the coaches and see how they teach/run practice. We have been to them at Cornell, Campbell, UNC & Lehigh.

Reactions: Wrassler17
A prospect/ID camp is open to everyone, but tend to be heavily filled with kids looking to get noticed by a program, or kids specifically invited by coaches. It gives coaches opportunity to see how kids practice, & their work ethic over a weekend. It also gives the kids a chance to be on campus, go through practice with the coaches and see how they teach/run practice. We have been to them at Cornell, Campbell, UNC & Lehigh.

Got you. Don't know if we hold them, anybody else know? They sound like a good idea, especially since wrestlers from some states don't get a lot of national exposure.

Flo reported that Jace Luchau has a visit scheduled for 10/12, the same date as Kharchla.

Luchau is a double Fargo AA placing in both Greco and FS and is ranked by Flo as #2 at 152#. He visits Fresno st. 8/31, Maryland 9/15, North Carolina on 9/23 and OK State on 10/12. He is from Selma, California.

There's no official visit scheduled yet, but it looks like ASU could be making a push also. Chris Pendleton and Lee Pritts just visited Selma HS.

Daniel Kerkvliet commits to Ohio State...good news is that we'll still rack up big XII titles. Bad news...we're far from contending for a national title. Should at least challenged in the top 4 over the next couple seasons so there's that.

Damn we can’t get back to the top unless something changes with Recruiting. That’s a huge loss for us

Who should our next target be? Braxton Amos or maybe Nash Hutmacher? I saw that Konner Doucet Is predicted to be a heavyweight.

Daniel Kerkvliet commits to Ohio State...good news is that we'll still rack up big XII titles. Bad news...we're far from contending for a national title. Should at least challenged in the top 4 over the next couple seasons so there's that.
Terrible news. We don't even have a work out partner for him and so you can't blame him too much. This was a tremendous loss for us which is not rare for us. Ohio State has far surpassed us along with Penn. St. It appears that for the last 3 years Iowa has out recruited us and out programed us. But we are taking our time making changes that should have been made long ago. Very upsetting. In 3 years of recruiting high school kids we have 3 real good wrestlers and 1 maybe. Nobody yet this year. Good wrestlers ( Fix, Gfeller and Whitlake) and the maybe is Montalvo.

It is going to become increasingly difficult for us to sign the truly elite recruits if we do not dive head first into the RTC arms race.

We have missed an opportunity and have been passed by. We need to get serious about it in a hurry if we want to continue to compete for NC's as a university.

Does Kerkvliet seem kinda impulsive to anyone else? This is his 3rd school he's committed to. I can understand decommitting from Minny cause he would have to be behind Gable but he committed to them fairly early in his high school career. Then when he decommitted there he committed to OSU almost immediately. Then it kinda seems like he got bored with us and decommitted. And he didn't really take his time like he said he would before committing to Ohio State

Last edited:
Does Kerkvliet seem kinda impulsive to anyone else? This is his 3rd school he's committed to. I can understand decommitting from Minny cause he would have to be behind Gable but he committed to them fairly early in his high school career. Then when he decommitted there he committed to OSU almost immediately. Then it kinda seems like he got bored with us and decommitted. And he didn't really take his time like he said he would before committing to Ohio State
Definitely impulsive or can’t deal with the pressure. Trackwrestling posted an interview one week ago today where he said he was going to take visits and listed 5 schools that he could remember which implied he planned to take more than 5. He listed PSU, OhSU, NCState, Neb, and SCSU (not sure who that is but he may have meant SDSU). He took one visit and then committed. I wouldn’t close the door on his recruitment if I were one of the schools above.

I was actually pumped at the Kerkvliet news. Anywhere but Penn State. He was never coming back to OKState after de-committing. I don't care how much we invest in our RTC the we were never giving him the chance to train with Synder.

Reactions: osu2082
I was actually pumped at the Kerkvliet news. Anywhere but Penn State. He was never coming back to OKState after de-committing. I don't care how much we invest in our RTC the we were never giving him the chance to train with Synder.
I prefer Ohio State also but losing a commitment to Ohio St. especially an all world talent is where are Program is. Left behind.

I don't disagree. My only point is the day he decommited is the day we were no longer option. He was never going to recommit here. People shouldn't be bummed out for a second time.

I agree, there was basically no way he was going to recommit.

I still think NC State makes a lot of sense. Snyder is a great training partner, no doubt. But he's also the competition if Kerkvliet stays down at 97 kg. At NC State, he would have Gwiaz (125 kg), Jacob Kasper (97 kg) and Mike Macchiavello (92 kg) for training partners. I wonder if this is a sign that he plans to go 125 kg internationally.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
hey Harley, can you send me some of those lemons? I need some lemonade, I'm thirsty.;)
11 years of lemons, yes I will send you some. I am tired of drinking lemonade. However I think I got years more of lemons coming as wrestling looks today.

11 years of lemons, yes I will send you some. I am tired of drinking lemonade. However I think I got years more of lemons coming as wrestling looks today.
18847_0

Reactions: Air_Thurman

I gotta admit Harley, that's a pretty funny reply. Stings a little, but funny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT