ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Targets

Burkes seems like a great pick up. Can someone tell me the elite recruits coming in to OSU next year ( highschool seniors now) and the year after? John said the other day that OSU has to take its recruiting to the next level, recruiting back east with elite recruits to support the great kids we get in Oklahoma. Is there another Fix coming in the next 2-3 years?
Next year we have 2 elite recruits 157 Brevin Balmeceda and 133 Reese Witcraft and maybe good recruit Daniel Manibog. None of these recruits are as elite as the recruits we have coming in the year after. ( Dustin Plott, Trevor Mastrogiavanni, Jakason Burks, and Konner Doucett so far.

Reactions: osuind
Excellent Harley. Thanks! Those of us who don’t follow recruiting quite as closely get lost in all the names. I have attended OSU matches for decades and today was the best atmosphere I could remember dating back to the OSU- Doctor Death bedlam days.

Burkes seems like a great pick up. Can someone tell me the elite recruits coming in to OSU next year ( highschool seniors now) and the year after? John said the other day that OSU has to take its recruiting to the next level, recruiting back east with elite recruits to support the great kids we get in Oklahoma. Is there another Fix coming in the next 2-3 years?

2018 was a very good class as is 2019 but the 2020 class is elite. Overall national rankings below with weight class rankings in parentheses if no P4P rankings). The

Balmaceda - 17
Maniborg - 70
Witcraft - (3 at 132)
Mclane (9 at 145)
Willis
Lindsey
Newton

Plott - 2
Mastro - 10
Burkes - 15
Doucet - 24

2018 was a very good class as is 2019 but the 2020 class is elite. Overall national rankings below with weight class rankings in parentheses if no P4P rankings). The

Balmaceda - 17
Maniborg - 70
Witcraft - (3 at 132)
Mclane (9 at 145)
Willis
Lindsey
Newton

Plott - 2
Mastro - 10
Burkes - 15
Doucet - 24

One thing about Witcraft - Flo hasn't updated their 2019 Big Board since November. So Witcraft's win over Colaiocco at the Ironman isn't reflected. They have Colaiocco at #26, so I'm guessing Witcraft might be top 25 now.

In a Pistols Firing article Seth mentioned that in addition to AJ Ferrari, there was another high profile recruit in attendance. Anybody know who that is?

I think it might have been Amos. No insider knowledge here. Also seems like a bunch of the commits from 2020 were at the event along with other recruits from In state.

Reactions: skylinepoke
What weights do Amos, Doucet, and Ferrari wrestle in college? If Okie State was to land Amos and Ferrari, would one of the three be able to cut down to 84? Would Witlake or Plott be able to cut down to 65 to make room for one another at 74?

Was Braxton Amos confirmed as attending? I think he won a WV state title on Saturday night. Would he fly out to OK the next day?

Balmaceda - 17
Maniborg - 70
Witcraft - (3 at 132)
Mclane (9 at 145)
Willis
Lindsey
Newton

Plott - 2
Mastro - 10
Burkes - 15
Doucet - 24
If we were to get ferrari, not sure how we have money for all of them.

Last edited:
If we were to ferrari, not sure how we have money for all of them.
That likely would be a lot of money for 20 but our losses this year White, Weigel, Jacobe Smith, Rogers, Blaylock, Magaldo, Martinez and next year Joe Smith, Brock, Pic, Lewallen, Marsden and Shomers. So I think we gain more money from these guys leaving this year then we pay out for the 2019 class. Likely the only big money recruit would be Balmaceda and in November when wrestlers sign Witcraft was not that highly rated and so likely he was not very costly. None of the other recruits would have gotten much money. So I think with that surplus plus the heavy losses after next year I think we have the money. Plus if you can get Ferrari you find a way to get the money for him (scholarship). Plus some small money wrestlers on the roster will likely end up leaving in the next year and a half. That is how I see it.

What weights do Amos, Doucet, and Ferrari wrestle in college? If Okie State was to land Amos and Ferrari, would one of the three be able to cut down to 84? Would Witlake or Plott be able to cut down to 65 to make room for one another at 74?
I don't think any of those 3 could cut down to 84 in fact each of them wrestled 220. Although Ferrari just did that because when he transferred his school had a top 95 already. If we get Ferrari or Amos we are doing great. I would prefer Ferrari. Witlake could possibly cut to 65 because he cut to 63 last summer for the freestyle season after he got beat at 74. Wittlake is much shorter than Plott.

That likely would be a lot of money for 20 but our losses this year White, Weigel, Jacobe Smith, Rogers, Blaylock, Magaldo, Martinez and next year Joe Smith, Brock, Pic, Lewallen, Marsden and Shomers. So I think we gain more money from these guys leaving this year then we pay out for the 2019 class. Likely the only big money recruit would be Balmaceda and in November when wrestlers sign Witcraft was not that highly rated and so likely he was not very costly. None of the other recruits would have gotten much money. So I think with that surplus plus the heavy losses after next year I think we have the money. Plus if you can get Ferrari you find a way to get the money for him (scholarship). Plus some small money wrestlers on the roster will likely end up leaving in the next year and a half. That is how I see it.

I agree. Plus if Moore & Andersen leaving were a wash with Geer & Shomers coming, then we never really replaced the GWH & Moran scholly $. I think I asked once would our strategy be to go big on the 2020 class or play it safe with some transfers. Pretty clear now.

2021 will be interesting though - we need Picklo, little Mastro, Haas, and Young, but we only lose Geer & Hone (I think Wyatt gets a 6th year).

I don't think any of those 3 could cut down to 84 in fact each of them wrestled 220. Although Ferrari just did that because when he transferred his school had a top 95 already. If we get Ferrari or Amos we are doing great. I would prefer Ferrari. Witlake could possibly cut to 65 because he cut to 63 last summer for the freestyle season after he got beat at 74. Wittlake is much shorter than Plott.

I think Ferrari is perfect for 197 in college. But he did give an interview last month and said he weighs 203 and could make 182 for Bergen Catholic HS if necessary.

Not sure about Amos. Everyone says he'll be a 197. I think he might be a college heavy that goes 97 kg in freestyle. Similar to Snyder & Ty Walz.

Amos could go heavy easy. AJ could be a huge 184 but might be a hard cut by his junior year.

Rewatching Picc's match, you can see some guys in the background. Geer, Montalvo, etc. You can also see some commits/recruits.

Jakason Burks is there along with AJ Ferrari & his dad. Braxton Amos might be in front of them, I can't tell. Hard to recognize the other faces. Cool moment - Mr. Ferrari is a really big dude, when Picc gets the fall he leaps up in the air.

I agree. Plus if Moore & Andersen leaving were a wash with Geer & Shomers coming, then we never really replaced the GWH & Moran scholly $. I think I asked once would our strategy be to go big on the 2020 class or play it safe with some transfers. Pretty clear now.

2021 will be interesting though - we need Picklo, little Mastro, Haas, and Young, but we only lose Geer & Hone (I think Wyatt gets a 6th year).
When I look at 2021 recruiting year I clearly think we need to get Mastrogiavanni because after a redshirt year he could take Gfeller's place at 49. I also believe we need to get Picklo because he will be the star wrestler in Oklahoma that year likely by a bunch. If he keeps developing he could be as good as any wrestler in the Country that year. We should get Haas as an upper weight and he is related to our recruiting coordinator. He would be viewed now as a good recruit not a real good recruit. As Young grows he seems to struggle more although he is only a sophomore so who knows. If I was going to get 1 it would be young Mastro, 2nd it would be Picklo
Also 2021 our lineup could be if we get Ferrari. 25 Mastro or Burks Fr, 33 Fix jun. with an Olympic redshirt, 41 Witcraft Soph., 49 Gfeller Sen., 57 Balmaceda soph., 65 Wittlake Jun., 74 Plott Fr. , 84 Montolvo Jun., 95 Ferrari Fr., HWT Doucet Fr. With very good coaching and development this would possibly be a National Championship team. Also with young Mastro at 49 we would likely be even better in 2022 and on.

Reactions: Wrassler17
When I look at 2021 recruiting year I clearly think we need to get Mastrogiavanni because after a redshirt year he could take Gfeller's place at 49. I also believe we need to get Picklo because he will be the star wrestler in Oklahoma that year likely by a bunch. If he keeps developing he could be as good as any wrestler in the Country that year. We should get Haas as an upper weight and he is related to our recruiting coordinator. He would be viewed now as a good recruit not a real good recruit. As Young grows he seems to struggle more although he is only a sophomore so who knows. If I was going to get 1 it would be young Mastro, 2nd it would be Picklo
Also 2021 our lineup could be if we get Ferrari. 25 Mastro or Burks Fr, 33 Fix jun. with an Olympic redshirt, 41 Witcraft Soph., 49 Gfeller Sen., 57 Balmaceda soph., 65 Wittlake Jun., 74 Plott Fr. , 84 Montolvo Jun., 95 Ferrari Fr., HWT Doucet Fr. With very good coaching and development this would possibly be a National Championship team. Also with young Mastro at 49 we would likely be even better in 2022 and on.
G will be @ 141 by then.

In a Pistols Firing article Seth mentioned that in addition to AJ Ferrari, there was another high profile recruit in attendance. Anybody know who that is?

Think I know who it was...I didn't read that article, but I'm guessing if it didn't give a name then the coaches don't want it known just yet?

Man another fantastic pickup! Recruiting has been stepped up a notch the last 18-24 months.

And I think you know why. Two that are here. One that isn’t here.

I’ll also say we are doing a MUCH better job of selling the program holistically. I’m not sure people, even those fans of the program, understand what @ThatOneGuy brings to the table on the academic side. We are doing a fantastic job of showing kids, and especially their parents, how we take care of the wrestlers.

I’ll also say we are doing a MUCH better job of selling the program holistically. I’m not sure people, even those fans of the program, understand what @ThatOneGuy brings to the table on the academic side. We are doing a fantastic job of showing kids, and especially their parents, how we take care of the wrestlers.
We have a stud 2020 commit who would not be here for a fact if that guy was here still .
Rule 1 don’t tell Kid you can’t go practice with OSU cause you are ass hurt .
Rule 2 don’t forget to shake the kid and his fathers hand.
Rule 3 don’t be a jackass to the mother of said recruit .
John Smith should be complimented for changing how we recruit and how OSU sales themselves to recruits now. Zac is going to be a great head coach one day also

We have a stud 2020 commit who would not be here for a fact if that guy was here still .
Rule 1 don’t tell Kid you can’t go practice with OSU cause you are ass hurt .
Rule 2 don’t forget to shake the kid and his fathers hand.
Rule 3 don’t be a jackass to the mother of said recruit .
John Smith should be complimented for changing how we recruit and how OSU sales themselves to recruits now. Zac is going to be a great head coach one day also
Was Guerrero really that much of an a-hole?

IDK who ThatOneGuy is (& not asking it be revealed), but TBH, I thought he might be a bit of a crackpot poster based on his last couple of posts. Obviously that is not the case, so keep up the good work whoever you are.

Good to see the recruiting message taking shape. So many positives really...just a few...

- The greatest program in college athletics.
- The extended Cowboy family.
- Electric & rowdy environment at GIA the other day - hey OSU administration, "if you build it (RTC/facility), they will come".
John - the GOAT (listen to current & former athletes speak about him).
Zack - a master technician that creates a fun atmosphere.
Chris - intense competitor that knows the mental aspects as well as anyone.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
IDK who ThatOneGuy is (& not asking it be revealed), but TBH, I thought he might be a bit of a crackpot poster based on his last couple of posts. Obviously that is not the case, so keep up the good work whoever you are.

Good to see the recruiting message taking shape. So many positives really...just a few...

- Electric & rowdy environment at GIA the other day - hey OSU administration, "if you build it (RTC/facility), they will come".
It is no secret who "That One Guy" is and it is also no secret he is one of the best assets we have in the Oklahoma State wrestling Program. He is academic advisor Jeremy Cook and he is the reason we turn out scholar athletes every year in the wrestling program. BTW he used to post on this board with that moniker.

I think I remember 2 decades or more ago we weren.t winning Nationals. We weren't recruiting like we should and we replaced finally our top assistant who was said to be arrogant and gave recruits the message that they were lucky the Cowboys were considering them. I believe he influenced John to think this was an individual sport and team was not as important. So as long as we had a couple of National champs we were fine. Finally a difficult change was made in the coaching staff that lead to Team National Championships down the road. Hopefully this occurs again.

Oh he is very definitely a crackpot, until you meet him and then you’re certain he’s a sociopath. Then after you’ve known him awhile you recognize him for the scared little boy he is - deep down inside.

Looks like Obe (& others) were right, Braxton Amos was at the Iowa dual. I'm fairly certain that a transfer target was also in attendance.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Care to share? Teasdale maybe?

The reason for any reluctance is because sometimes you just don't know if it's ok to say anything.

Back in October when older Mastro & Doucet committed, Seth (Pokes2010) posted something like "the night isn't over yet". I replied back "the Plott thickens?" (because I'd seen some indications Dustin was about to commit). Seth then deleted his post, which left my post hanging there with his original quote still embedded. I thought this is a little weird, maybe the coaches want to keep it quiet. So then I deleted my post.

The reason for any reluctance is because sometimes you just don't know if it's ok to say anything.

Back in October when older Mastro & Doucet committed, Seth (Pokes2010) posted something like "the night isn't over yet". I replied back "the Plott thickens?" (because I'd seen some indications Dustin was about to commit). Seth then deleted his post, which left my post hanging there with his original quote still embedded. I thought this is a little weird, maybe the coaches want to keep it quiet. So then I deleted my post.
Yeah that's a good point.

I appreciate knowing that work is being done, possibilities are in play, and good things could happen. If specific details could sabotage the situation or even cause heartburn to one of the coaches or recruits, I can do without those specifics. Thanks for the tease. Good enough for me.

I was wondering can Surber be a 149 in college. Seems like he has that body type don’t know how tall he is.

I was wondering can Surber be a 149 in college. Seems like he has that body type don’t know how tall he is.
Surber might be the tallest 152 in the country. Also last year he was a 138 and went up to 152 this year. However I don't know what weight he will wrestle next year. I would suspect 160 with Plott still at 170 but who knows.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT