ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Strategy

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
Thought I'd start a thread about recruiting strategy. Can we do things differently? Should we? Curious what others think.

As has been pointed out before, we've only landed a total of 3 top 30 recruits in the past 4 years combined (2016 - 2019). Daton (#1) and Kaden (#15) for 2017, and Wittlake (#6) for 2018. There were none for 2016 and none so far for 2019, although the book isn't closed yet with Kharchla, Balmaceda, and Lovett still available.

My intent isn't to bemoan our results, complain about PSU/tOSU/Iowa, or rant about RTC $ and wrestling facilities - hopefully the long-term plans are underway to address that stuff. But can adjustments be made in the short-term? Here are some things mentioned before plus a couple of other ideas.

Make a play for the top 10 guys of course, but if they don't respond with serious interest early on, then pivot and move on to the 11-30 type guys and hit them with big scholly offers. It just seems wasteful to spend a lot of time and effort recruiting the guys that will likely end up at PSU or tOSU (for now).

Place a greater focus on regional recruiting KS, TX, and CO (produces a lot of talent), and on the west coast (CA, OR, WA).

Target recruits that have MMA aspirations. DC & Johny have a lot of connections and have mentored our guys before (look at Crutchmer now). Maybe even one of them opens up a MMA facility near Stillwater? I think Frankie Edgar has a place near Rutgers.

Until the RTC investment kicks in, identify the guys that primarily do folkstyle, like Heil, Piccininni, and Brevin Balmaceda. IMO, John is the best freestyle coach in the country, he can develop those type guys in freestyle if they show an interest.

Thoughts / ideas?

I think you have already seen a regional focus and pushing for kids outside of the blue chips who they see as kids with potential.

Harper, Newton, Witcraft and Wills as well as few regional kids they have visiting mostly all fit this profile.

It's a necessary evil until we establish a well funded RTC.

I think you have already seen a regional focus and pushing for kids outside of the blue chips who they see as kids with potential.

Harper, Newton, Witcraft and Wills as well as few regional kids they have visiting mostly all fit this profile.

Speaking of recruiting I see Intermatwrestle has an article on the top 2019 recruiting teams. I can not read it but are we number 1?

I don't see that as a change in recruiting philosophy. Witcraft is ranked #97 overall and the other 3 are outside the top 100. We have always recruited local/regional guys like that. Witcraft and Newton are similar recruits to Nolan Boyd coming out, Harper and Wills are similar to Zac Gentler. You hope for an AA, but history says those caliber recruits rarely score any meaningful points at nationals.

I'm talking about going hard after the top 10 PFP guys that are closer, like Schultz (#2), Alirez (#4) and Robison (#8) out of Colorado. We have a better chance of out recruiting Troy Nickerson and Zeke Jones than Cael and Ryan.

I don't see that as a change in recruiting philosophy. Witcraft is ranked #97 overall and the other 3 are outside the top 100. We have always recruited local/regional guys like that. Witcraft and Newton are similar recruits to Nolan Boyd coming out, Harper and Wills are similar to Zac Gentler. You hope for an AA, but history says those caliber recruits rarely score any meaningful points at nationals.

I'm talking about going hard after the top 10 PFP guys that are closer, like Schultz (#2), Alirez (#4) and Robison (#8) out of Colorado. We have a better chance of out recruiting Troy Nickerson and Zeke Jones than Cael and Ryan.

Sorry I though I read that as you wanted us to ht the closer regional guys who don't fall into the top tier category which is why unsafe we are already doing that (and will continue to increase those efforts).

I do agree that if we want to truly compete for elite level guys consistently (not born and raised in OK) we need to hit those regions closer to us and not traditional recruiting bases for PSU, OhSt and Iowa as we are taking a knife to a gun fight against those programs right now for elite level guys.

Thought I'd start a thread about recruiting strategy. Can we do things differently? Should we? Curious what others think.

As has been pointed out before, we've only landed a total of 3 top 30 recruits in the past 4 years combined (2016 - 2019). Daton (#1) and Kaden (#15) for 2017, and Wittlake (#6) for 2018. There were none for 2016 and none so far for 2019, although the book isn't closed yet with Kharchla, Balmaceda, and Lovett still available.

My intent isn't to bemoan our results, complain about PSU/tOSU/Iowa, or rant about RTC $ and wrestling facilities - hopefully the long-term plans are underway to address that stuff. But can adjustments be made in the short-term? Here are some things mentioned before plus a couple of other ideas.

Make a play for the top 10 guys of course, but if they don't respond with serious interest early on, then pivot and move on to the 11-30 type guys and hit them with big scholly offers. It just seems wasteful to spend a lot of time and effort recruiting the guys that will likely end up at PSU or tOSU (for now).

Place a greater focus on regional recruiting KS, TX, and CO (produces a lot of talent), and on the west coast (CA, OR, WA).

Target recruits that have MMA aspirations. DC & Johny have a lot of connections and have mentored our guys before (look at Crutchmer now). Maybe even one of them opens up a MMA facility near Stillwater? I think Frankie Edgar has a place near Rutgers.

Until the RTC investment kicks in, identify the guys that primarily do folkstyle, like Heil, Piccininni, and Brevin Balmaceda. IMO, John is the best freestyle coach in the country, he can develop those type guys in freestyle if they show an interest.

Thoughts / ideas?
Not trying to be a prick, but just an update... according to Flo... Balmaceda;s final two are NCST and Iowa.

We won’t win any titles with that level of recruiting

Not trying to be a prick, but just an update... according to Flo... Balmaceda;s final two are NCST and Iowa.

I saw that on your board and it could certainly be true, but I didn't see where that was reported. I know he has a visit with you guys this weekend, but where was NCST mentioned as the 2nd team? I listened to about 10 minutes of FRL (if I hear Pyles for more than that I want to stab a fork in my ear). Willie said it was down to 2 teams, but wouldn't say which two.

Last edited:
I saw that on your board and it could certainly be true, but I didn't see where that was reported. I know he has a visit with you guys this weekend, but where was NCST mentioned as the 2nd team? I listened to about 10 minutes of FRL (if I hear Pyles for more than that I want to stab a fork in my ear). Willie said it was down to 2 teams, but wouldn't say which two.
Yeah that's where I stole it from. Now a poster is saying you guys and Iowa.
Maybe I should just leave. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT