ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting News?

Chittum is projected to be a 157-165 pounder I believe. I’m guessing the log jam we have from 149-174 didn’t help us out compared to Iowa just graduating like half of their senior starters. Which includes Kaleb Young at 157 and Alex marinelli at 165.

With Smith stating at HH it brings a question to my mind. Is it an NCAA violation for a High School coach to encourage his wrestlers to go to a particular university?
Ask Joey Dance, Devin Carter, both Epperlys, Chris Webber, and Kevin Dresser. VA Tech used Xtiansburg HS as a feeder program. In addition to the future AA's, Xtiansburg provided a ton cannon fodder for better recruits.

Thanks for the responses but, sarcasm aside, they don't really answer my queestion. I know there are other High Schools like Stillwater, I just want ot know if it is expressly forbidden for the the coaches for these schools to encourage thier wrestlers to go to a specific College. I mean, a lot of crap happens every day (RTC, Penn St...) that seems like it is/should be against the rules.

Hayden Simpson, Hwt from Guthrie, committed to the good guys today.
Flo's got an article about who's number 1 match between Brayden Thompson versus Zack Ryder at 182. Brayden also has junior Worlds coming up soon at 79 KG. He has loved Oklahoma State , John Smith, Chris Perry and especially Jordan Oliver since he was 8 years old. Brayden has been pulling out the close, big matches and hopefully that continues. He appears to be 1 of those wrestlers who could be real good in college. But some big matches coming up in the next month. Also seems like a quality person also ( based on short interview).

Flo's got an article about who's number 1 match between Brayden Thompson versus Zack Ryder at 182. Brayden also has junior Worlds coming up soon at 79 KG. He has loved Oklahoma State , John Smith, Chris Perry and especially Jordan Oliver since he was 8 years old. Brayden has been pulling out the close, big matches and hopefully that continues. He appears to be 1 of those wrestlers who could be real good in college. But some big matches coming up in the next month. Also seems like a quality person also ( based on short interview).
We really need to “hit” on some of these guys. Need a lineup with 7 big time point scorers to compete for a title.

Noticed a Rylan Hitt in the directory, same name as the state champ from Elgin. Anyone know if he was a late commit?

He's been the primary coach and training partner for a champ and the last two finalists at 149 lbs.... And two guys that are considerably less talented than our young stable from 149-157. No disrespect to O'Connor and Clarke. GW is just that good of a coach.
Also an Oklahoma legend should be great for recruiting.

I think having GW in the room and having a handful of other guys around is going to really benefit Carter, VV, Williams, Cutter Sheets, Mechler, and Travis Mastro.

Cutter and Mechler are wildcards. Have been told they make excellent training partners. Could see them do something in 3-5 years.

The others are all top 20 p4p recruits... Hell top 12 except for Carter... And they need to be in a position to AA or better in the next two years.

Yeah this seems like good news. Hopefully he can bring in some fresh perspective from a program that's on the rise! But is still from the OSU family which is apparently important :)

I am seeing others respond to his Tweet and saying that it is Carroll to Okie State. What weight does this guy wrestling in college? HWT?

If the rumors are true then I believe this will be Carroll's third school to commit to. Illinois then Penn, now OSU. I guess that would also mean we were not going after Jimmy Mullen very hard. But I also never really heard that we were gunning for him.
I don't know enough about either Mullen or Carroll to say which would be a better fit but I do know either would be an improvement on our current HWT situation.

Carroll was interviewed at Fargo last summer and was asked if he would be a 97 or a heavy in college. He said he was a little under 5'11", if he grew another couple of inches he would go heavy, otherwise probably 97.

It's possible we go 174 Thompson 184 Robb 197 Carroll 285 Mullen. That would be ideal. It feels like Mullen is holding out for football offers though, so I don't know how likely it is. Either way, I could see Carroll going 97.

Also, he's another one of those top recruits who has said the Olympics is his ultimate goal. UPenn probably has the 2nd best RTC after PSU. If he did flip to us, it would seem to indicate good things coming about the CWC.

Carroll was interviewed at Fargo last summer and was asked if he would be a 97 or a heavy in college. He said he was a little under 5'11", if he grew another couple of inches he would go heavy, otherwise probably 97.

It's possible we go 174 Thompson 184 Robb 197 Carroll 285 Mullen. That would be ideal. It feels like Mullen is holding out for football offers though, so I don't know how likely it is. Either way, I could see Carroll going 97.

Also, he's another one of those top recruits who has said the Olympics is his ultimate goal. UPenn probably has the 2nd best RTC after PSU. If he did flip to us, it would seem to indicate good things coming about the CWC.
Well, I just watched several of his matches including his Championship match in the Indiana State finals where he won by Tech fall. He is extremely athletic and moves great for a 220 pounder and BTW he is #1 P4P on Flo's big board at 220. He would be a great commitment for 2023. In looking at Flo's big board #18 ranked wrestler stood out. Angelo is ranked 18 and weight is shown as 160. He is wrestling out of Melissa, Texas which is 40 miles north of Dallas and near Allen. Apparently this is where the Ferrari's have landed for now.

Reactions: TheJimReaper

That’s my thought on Mullen as well

Willie says pump the breaks and “it’s far from a done deal” I’d like to see it, but it has a Kerkvliet feel to it.
Boy we could really use some good news by getting Carroll at HWT. At who's number 1 he was very close to the Ohio St. Hwt losing by a point against the number 1 wrestler in the 2022 class, while Carroll is the number 1 wrestler in the 2023 class. I watched some who's number 1 matches this year with Thompson winning on criteria in the 3rd overtime by escaping in less time than it took Ryder to get away. No takedowns in fact very few takedown attempts but Thompson gutted it out. Lockett stayed close to Shapiro at 52 and almost got several slick takedowns but just couldn't quite get control. Lockett has a great duck. He is a must get for us. Angelo Ferrari won his 1st matches against Scoles of Wisconsin with a solid win by dominating the 3rd period. Then Angelo painted his masterpiece by majoring Joe Sealey who this summer just won a Junior World title. He is the 3rd piece( the best) that we lost this summer and he is obviously a great high school wrestler who is number 1 in the 2024 class. We need Carroll or some other great recruit or recruits to get back to championship contender. Still the wrestling program has not responded to this summers and 2021- 2022 wrestling seasons setbacks.

Reactions: JAY45
Boy we could really use some good news by getting Carroll at HWT. At who's number 1 he was very close to the Ohio St. Hwt losing by a point against the number 1 wrestler in the 2022 class, while Carroll is the number 1 wrestler in the 2023 class. I watched some who's number 1 matches this year with Thompson winning on criteria in the 3rd overtime by escaping in less time than it took Ryder to get away. No takedowns in fact very few takedown attempts but Thompson gutted it out. Lockett stayed close to Shapiro at 52 and almost got several slick takedowns but just couldn't quite get control. Lockett has a great duck. He is a must get for us. Angelo Ferrari won his 1st matches against Scoles of Wisconsin with a solid win by dominating the 3rd period. Then Angelo painted his masterpiece by majoring Joe Sealey who this summer just won a Junior World title. He is the 3rd piece( the best) that we lost this summer and he is obviously a great high school wrestler who is number 1 in the 2024 class. We need Carroll or some other great recruit or recruits to get back to championship contender. Still the wrestling program has not responded to this summers and 2021- 2022 wrestling seasons setbacks.
Watched WNO and came away very impressed with Jax Forrest at 120 who came in at #1 wrestling Nathaniel Jesuroga #2. He decisioned Jesuroga from Iowa for the 3rd time in a row in an extremely exciting match. The phenomenal fact is that he is a Freshman in HS ranked #1. He also was silver medalist at the world 17U championships this year. He is unorthodox but highly skilled and is coached by former cowboy Josh Kindig in Pennsylvania. Definitely someone to look at in the coming years!

Maybe Angelo will come here in spite of his family. There’s precedence for that in the past 😆

Has it been confirmed that Carroll is even interested in OSU? I must have missed it but I have only seen it speculated here based on a Mineo rumor that he was flipping to a Big 12 school.

Jimmy Mullen gave an interview the other day and said he's leaning towards wrestling over football. Wants to play FB, but he's getting more interest in wrestling. Has wrestling offers from us, PSU, Michigan, VT, Rutgers & UNC. Has FB offers from Rutgers, Kent State, Temple, Duquesne & Army. Expects to make a decision soon.

I hope we are looking at junior Cody Merrill who is number 1 at 195 according to flo and won Fargo at 195 beating Rogers in the finals 7 to 1. He also beat Voelker, Mirasolo and Walters who are all ranked high. He is coached by Daniel Cormier.

I hope we are looking at junior Cody Merrill who is number 1 at 195 according to flo and won Fargo at 195 beating Rogers in the finals 7 to 1. He also beat Voelker, Mirasolo and Walters who are all ranked high. He is coached by Daniel Cormier.

Whoever gets Merrill is going to be a happy camper. Freak strength and will.

Heard that the younger Voinovich visited Iowa this weekend. If true, I guess he isn't a Cowboy lock.

ADVERTISEMENT