ADVERTISEMENT

Recommend a Self Defense Rifle

Deepfork

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Okay guys, I'm ignorant about "assault weapons". I'd like to buy a rifle for self defense. Something along the AR-15 lines or similar platform. Everything I have is for hunting or a few hand guns, 9mm and .380. What are your recommendations or things to look for?

If you’re dead set on an AR for self defense, I’d recommend an SBR or pistol set up. Shorter and easier to maneuver, with a flashlight on the end.

But if i was an intruder and heard someone racking a 12g as i walked in I’d shit myself.

You can pick up a Remington 870 super mag for cheap.

Reactions: TexasCowPoke
If you’re dead set on an AR for self defense, I’d recommend an SBR or pistol set up. Shorter and easier to maneuver, with a flashlight on the end.

But if i was an intruder and heard someone racking a 12g as i walked in I’d shit myself.

You can pick up a Remington 870 super mag for cheap.
I've got shotguns and handguns for the home. I'm talking shit hits the fan self defense.

Gotcha.

I’ve got a Daniel Defense Ambush chambered in 6.8 SPC. It’s got a vortex strike eagle 1x6, Geissele trigger, with a Sig SRD762 suppressor on the end. I absolutely love it.

You can piece an AR-15 together from PSA for really cheap. Just throw in a Geissele or CMC trigger group and you’re good to go.

Pokes 15, how difficult is it to build it myself. I can shoot 'em, just don't know anything about building them.

Not hard. You can find lots of tutorials online if you want to build from scratch, or you can buy finished uppers and lowers and pin them together for an easy build.

Checked out an FN AR 15 DMR ll today. Quality rifle just under the DD prices. 18" barrel get's it out there a little farther and faster than the 16".

Well, I wound up getting a Ruger AR 15 566 MPR (multi Purpose Rifle) with the 16" barrel. Reviews were very good on it and have enough money for accessories and ammo. Ordered a Romeo5 Red Dot and Maypul MBUS iron sights (actually polymer).

Well, I wound up getting a Ruger AR 15 566 MPR (multi Purpose Rifle) with the 16" barrel. Reviews were very good on it and have enough money for accessories and ammo. Ordered a Romeo5 Red Dot and Maypul MBUS iron sights (actually polymer).

You’ll be happy with that

Honestly, with AR's there's just so many quality options it really is a buyer's paradise. I have 2 AR's but I'm not really an AR guy. My brother has a pile of them, though. They've made them so accurate that they're good for about whatever you want to do with them.

Waiting for my Romeo 5 red dot sights and the Magpul MBUS sights to come in. Then, it's off to the range to get'er sighted in.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Waiting for my Romeo 5 red dot sights and the Magpul MBUS sights to come in. Then, it's off to the range to get'er sighted in.
Those Romeo 5 sights are priced right! If I needed another red dot, I'd have to take a look.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT