ADVERTISEMENT

Realistically speaking

oberebo

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2005
Shawnee,OK
IMO it is highly doubtful there will be a 20/21 season. Some sports can be played next year but wrestling is several steps beyond most sports in personal contact. I hate this because obviously it is my favorite sport and at my stage in life I don't have that many more seasons where I can go to all the matches. I fervently hope I am overly pessimistic.

IMO it is highly doubtful there will be a 20/21 season. Some sports can be played next year but wrestling is several steps beyond most sports in personal contact. I hate this because obviously it is my favorite sport and at my stage in life I don't have that many more seasons where I can go to all the matches. I fervently hope I am overly pessimistic.
IMO really no reason to worry about it till we see what happens with football.
no football - no wrestling
football but issues - prob no wrestling
football with no issues - wrestling dual meets only thru half/two-thirds season then re-evaluate

Should be pretty common to test teams all over the place by fall at the latest. Pro, college, etc. Which should provide a nice measure of reassurance for all sports.

Predicting negative outcomes for the future really hasn't panned out often thru this whole deal.

Should be pretty common to test teams all over the place by fall at the latest. Pro, college, etc. Which should provide a nice measure of reassurance for all sports.

Predicting negative outcomes for the future really hasn't panned out often thru this whole deal.
Money for testing has to come from somewhere, pro teams have money and potential revenue.
If no students on campus then no sports.
If students on campus then universities are going to first spend money on testing for students, faculty, staff, service providers etc.
It's not clear that any college sports will generate revenue this coming season. If football can then perhaps $s available for testing non-revenue sports. Will the million dollar and 6 figure coaches take say a 40% pay cut to free up dollars for testing and financially surviving the 2020/21 season, we will see.

Other than sports no question. The affect this has had on the sporting landscape from professional down to college has been pretty negative and somewhat surprising IMO.

Money for testing has to come from somewhere, pro teams have money and potential revenue.
If no students on campus then no sports.
If students on campus then universities are going to first spend money on testing for students, faculty, staff, service providers etc.
It's not clear that any college sports will generate revenue this coming season. If football can then perhaps $s available for testing non-revenue sports. Will the million dollar and 6 figure coaches take say a 40% pay cut to free up dollars for testing and financially surviving the 2020/21 season, we will see.
The cost is an tiny fraction compared with the football revenue at hand in accomplishing the testing.

Testing entire companies, teams, groups of all sorts is not a matter of if, but when.

There is a 0% chance OSU does not test every athlete coming back to campus in August. As will every other school.

The cost is an tiny fraction compared with the football revenue at hand in accomplishing the testing.

Testing entire companies, teams, groups of all sorts is not a matter of if, but when.

There is a 0% chance OSU does not test every athlete coming back to campus in August. As will every other school.
It's not just one single test.

Most "revenue sports" will be losing money (non-revenue) next year, thus most DIA will be in the red next year. The university's number 1 obligation will be keeping the university afloat and safe.

Agree. If they have football, they will have wrestling

I thought they were talking about making wrestling a spring sport for 2021?

They are discussing it at the NWCA level. It has support but the only hesitation is the hard date of the NCAA for the next two (and maybe 3) years.

In an ideal situation of wrestling being a spring sport the championship would be moved back to the middle of April.

Moving the season to the spring semester has been discussed for ages. I hope it happens, but it won't happen for at least 3 years due to NCAA championships dates/locations already being set... unless they decide to condense the season into January through March until they can push the NCAA tourney to April, but I don't see that happening either.

I really thought they were serious about moving the season last time this topic got hot again a few years ago. Then they released the dates of the next 3 or 4 NCAA championships (still mid-March) and the topic gets pushed to the backburner again. And on it goes...

This really needs to happen to support wrestling. Sports has dead seasons and April is generally a dead season with the exception of Pro hockey, Pro Basketball, and baseball.

Reactions: osu2082 and oberebo
This really needs to happen to support wrestling. Sports has dead seasons and April is generally a dead season with the exception of Pro hockey, Pro Basketball, and baseball.

Don’t forget softball! It may be our hottest sport on campus. Tennis is pretty damn good also.

The only thing I don’t like about this is that currently the tournament usually lands on spring break. Since my wife is a teacher, it makes going really easy. I doubt we’d be able to attend, if the tournament was in April.

The only thing I don’t like about this is that currently the tournament usually lands on spring break. Since my wife is a teacher, it makes going really easy. I doubt we’d be able to attend, if the tournament was in April.

That’s true. The other side though is it wouldn’t be competing with the opening weekend of March Madness and would be on its own platform.

I think it would benefit the athletes to just compete during one semester.

That’s true. The other side though is it wouldn’t be competing with the opening weekend of March Madness and would be on its own platform.

I think it would benefit the athletes to just compete during one semester.

Totally with you. My complaint is purely about my personal satisfaction lol.

Reactions: osu2082
Totally with you. My complaint is purely about my personal satisfaction lol.

I love it also because my wife just knows I am worthless from Thursday to Sunday that weekend with my iPad and TV on watching wrestling and basketball. If they change it that will spread out to two weekends in the spring and will test my limits haha!

Reactions: oberebo and Cowguy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT