ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board

TexasCowPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 22, 2003
Small ranch North of Denton, TX
Here's the deal. Texas parks and wildlife dept just sent a notice for public reaction to proposed changes in some hunting regulations. I know my reaction was positive to some no-brainers but wasn't positive overall. Here's my beef, or at least what I question the wisdom of.

1) They referenced following the manufacturer$ association$ suggestion that all limits/regulations as to minimums for archery equipment be dropped. This includes the 7/8 inch broadhead requirement (thus it is unclear whether a requirement for even having a broadhead will be included), and no poundage limits for bows or crossbows. Etc. They referenced just leaving up to the good judgement of each archer, since a 6 to 8 hour bowhunters class is required for young bowhunters. I have huge ethics concerns about this.

2) There was a proposal (from someone on the board I suppose, some powerful supporter) to allow any and all airguns and airbows for alligator, furbearers, and non-migratory birds, specifically Including quail, pheasant and Chacalaca. (This includes pigs, exotic big game, etc.) No restrictions except it has to be .177 diameter or larger. No fps or energy, etc. is mentioned. I can take out my trusty Red Ryder and hunt anything!!!!) Again, my ethics hackles get up without any minimums to keep people sane and reasonable. My public comment included the issue of whether or not the law on "pot shooting" pheasant and quail on the ground was going to change, because that is the only way a pellet gun is going to bag those species. I'd certainly be willing for airguns of a certain fps of a specific grain projectile being legal for rabbit, squirrel, and other small game. High quality Airguns have about the same energy and speed as a 22 LR. I've never messed with an Airbow.

I'd like your thoughts, esp since its a slow sports time.

Last edited:
I used my trusty red rider on anything that moved back in the day. It lived or it died, with that gun, nothing was in between.

I don't have a problem with the dropping poundage requirements for bows. Mostly because it's sort of hard for them to test the equipment to see if it is proper poundage. And I doubt many people test their bows to see if the poundage labeled is what is actually delivered. I have a bow limbs that are labled 35 lbs but pull about 45 on my riser. 45 is about the max amount any state sets as the minimum for a bow, but because it is a traditional recurve, I doubt I could convince most game rangers that it is 45 lbs with out a scale to prove it. There just aren't enough folks into trad archery. Also, with as many different forms of "bows" out there, it is harder and harder for enforcement to stay abreast of new, different and often, more efficient bows. I remember when over draws were all the rage to get more FPS out of your bow. Now, you have 85% let off so a ten year old can hold a 60# bow back if he can get it back. It's all very confusing and complicated.

Most hunters will attempt to be ethical in their hunt and not try to kill a deer with inadequate equipment. We also know that no matter the rule or law, some with ignore all of them (willfully or through ignorance) and hunt unethically. It is probably just a matter of no ability to reasonably enforce the rules so why have them?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT