ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the Board....

Deepfork

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Let's say things go to hell in a hand basket. You have a choice of 1 rifle for self defense and food. What do you get? Remember, it needs to be light and ammo needs to be easy to get.

Let's say things go to hell in a hand basket. You have a choice of 1 rifle for self defense and food. What do you get? Remember, it needs to be light and ammo needs to be easy to get.

Not sure why it has to be light or what exactly "light" is for you. For subsistence hunting and only 1 rifle, I would qualify my rifle for the geographical area I lived.

If I'm on the plains, I would want a relatively flatter shooting rifle like 270 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor. I would want a little heavier rifle because if you're shooting further away, a heavier rifle would be more accurate. Also, If I'm walking on pretty flat ground, I don't think a 10 or 11 pound rifle is a huge thing. Also, personal protection vs hunting power...if my weapon was used primarily for hunting I am using a larger cartridge because knock down and getting the meat is the most important thing. If I'm shooting people, maybe killing outright is less important than just taking them out.

If I'm in the mountains, the negatives of a heavier rifle begin to outweigh the benifits of a more stable platform. Also, in thicker brush or forest 300-400 yard shots can become much less common than 100 yard shots so cartridges that can reach out there are less needed. I'd be interested in cartridges that could be shot in shorter barrel rifles like a 308 or possibly 30-30 in very brushy forested areas.

None the less, if I had to pick one ultra-common for everyone and everything, you could do much worse that a 30-06 or 308. 30-06 if more hunting food and 308 if more hunting people, but both can be plenty accurate for any normal ranges and have lots of knockdown power.

You didn't ask about type of rifle. I would stick to the least complicated style. Probably a bolt action with a scope AND iron sights for back up if the scope is broken.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
I would be grabbing my HK 91. I'm a big guy, I have access to land out in the boonies, and I'm sort of "prepared" in some ways (well, I also have things stashed for different reasons, not like prep nut stashed, but kind of like a "case study" of sorts..)

Anyway, why the big damn gun? Because I can carrry 150 rounds of 308 in the distances I would need to travel and be fine. Plus, the HK91's design (roller delayed blowback) is such it's made for significant abuse (no gas system to worry about getting munged up) and is like a higher powered AK-47. I can configure it in different ways (long range, short range, night vision) with the claw mount system and keep a zero pretty well with the different scopes. I can even make it fully auto with just a few minutes with a saw (it's legal to own all the materials, just don't do it until SHTf). 308 will put down most animals and all men. Find me a guy who can handle a 308 to the chest and I'll stay the hell away from him lol.

About the only draw back with an HK91 is the way it tears the hell out of brass. But, If SHTF, who would have time to reload anyway? At least not in the immediate future. Would be too busy killing "zombies".

I would definitely have a .300 blackout rifle stashed somewhere with a suppressor. If someone did happen upon my little area, would rather pick them off without giving away my position as easily.

I would have a .22 stashed somewhere, as well a revolver or three. .357 hands down, 38 special and .357 are fairly common. My .22 of choice? American 180. Swarm of angry bees...

Lastly, I would be fine in my little area...as long as no one comes trying to put the f*%k to me, I wouldn't be out bothering a soul...

16688-DEFAULT-l.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT