ADVERTISEMENT

Question For @Ponca Dan

my_2cents

Heisman Winner
Oct 13, 2017
@Ponca Dan, on the other thread, you stated we could have a discussion about your view regarding abortion another time. So here is a thread for such a discussion.

Do you support the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade? Should the Supreme Court allow numerous states to outlaw/criminalize abortions if they so choose?

@Ponca Dan, on the other thread, you stated we could have a discussion about your view regarding abortion another time. So here is a thread for such a discussion.

Do you support the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade? Should the Supreme Court allow numerous states to outlaw/criminalize abortions if they so choose?
Yes, I support the Supreme Court overruling Roe, I think it was a bad decision, it is a states rights issue.

Reactions: AC2020
Yes, I support the Supreme Court overruling Roe, I think it was a bad decision, it is a states rights issue.
Thank you.

So I take this to mean you support a state's right to ban all abortions, even in the case of rape and incest?

Thank you.

So I take this to mean you support a state's right to ban all abortions, even in the case of rape and incest?
No, philosophically I an an anarchist. As such I don’t support any state at any level having the power to make such a decision. But in the real world governments exist. There’s nothing I can do about that. So in the real world I support spreading the power far and wide, diluting it as much as possible. So if my choice is to have the decision made by the federal government or spread across 50 states, I choose the 50 state option.

Reactions: Medic007
No, philosophically I an an anarchist. As such I don’t support any state at any level having the power to make such a decision.
So why, as an anarchist, do you support the Supreme Court allowing abortions to be outlawed instead of the Supreme Court allowing this decision to remain with the individual women? You know, sovereignty of the individual. Wouldn't allowing women to maintain their individual sovereignty on this issue delute the power of government?

Also, isn't bodily autonomy a cornerstone of anarchist philosophy?

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
So why, as an anarchist, do you support the Supreme Court allowing abortions to be outlawed instead of the Supreme Court allowing this decision to remain with the individual women? You know, sovereignty of the individual. Wouldn't allowing women to maintain their individual sovereignty on this issue delute the power of government?

Also, isn't bodily autonomy a cornerstone of anarchist philosophy?
I’m all for letting a woman to choose. But you’re making a strawman argument. Giving the woman the freedom to choose is not an option. Either the federal government wants the power to regulate how and when a woman can have an abortion or state governments want to claim the power for themselves. That being the case I prefer the state governments.

Giving the woman the freedom to choose is not an option.
It is an option you or anyone else can hold and support though. Especially if it aligns with what your political philosophy is.

Either the federal government wants the power to regulate how and when a woman can have an abortion or state governments want to claim the power for themselves.
Then why don't you just oppose all federal regulation of abortion and oppose states having the option to ban all abortions?

Is this not the anarchist position on abortion, the one that most aligns with the commitment to bodily autonomy?

It is an option you or anyone else can hold and support though. Especially if it aligns with what your political philosophy is.

Then why don't you just oppose all federal regulation of abortion and oppose states having the option to ban all abortions?

Is this not the anarchist position on abortion, the one that most aligns with the commitment to bodily autonomy?
I apparently did not make myself clear earlier. Philosophically I do oppose both the federal government and the state governments regulating abortion. But my philosophical position is so far out in the hinterland, so rare, it will never be mainstream. In the real world we are given two options: feds or states, take your pick. I pick states.

I apparently did not make myself clear earlier. Philosophically I do oppose both the federal government and the state governments regulating abortion. But my philosophical position is so far out in the hinterland, so rare, it will never be mainstream. In the real world we are given two options: feds or states, take your pick. I pick states.
Abortion is unconstitutional. There are ways to amend our constitution. I pick states.

Philosophically I do oppose both the federal government and the state governments regulating abortion.
So then philosophically, you oppose the draft opinion by Alito and would support removing all governmental restrictions on abortion, correct?

But my philosophical position is so far out in the hinterland, so rare, it will never be mainstream. In the real world we are given two options: feds or states, take your pick. I pick states.
Do you hold this same position as it relates to vaccines, mask mandates, etc.?

So then philosophically, you oppose the draft opinion by Alito and would support removing all governmental restrictions on abortion, correct?

Do you hold this same position as it relates to vaccines, mask mandates, etc.?
I have not read what Alito wrote. I am
led to believe it is a rough draft that will be subject to much polishing and editing. But, yes, I would support removing all legal restrictions on abortion. Legal restrictions, not societal sanctions. I would have no problem with someone who opposes the act of abortion as a negation of human nature, as I do, refusing to have any contact, including refusal to provide goods or services to a woman they know to have had an abortion. And, yes, I have the same opinion about vaccines and masks.

But, yes, I would support removing all legal restrictions on abortion.
Ok, so this is what you truly support. Thank you.

Your thoughts on this have been illuminating. It seems, at least on this issue, your true philosophical view is in conflict with what you think is actual possible to achieve politically in our country. Therefore, you have a dualistic dilemma. In your mind, you oppose all limitations on abortion, but in practice (and what you would argue on this board), you advocate a right-wing states' rights position. Perhaps this is why you and I go back and forth so much on the issue of you being a right-winger. I read what you write in your posts and you take offense to the conclusions I draw because in your mind, philosophical, you really hold another position.

Of course this is only true if you do this consistently on other issues. Jettison your true philosophical viewpoint in the face of what you perceive to be political reality.

chubby-cheeks.gif
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: OUSOONER67
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT