ADVERTISEMENT

Question for panhandle...

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
What kind of shooting rest do you use? I had a Primo Group Therapy (bought it at Walmart when I was needing a rest quickly), but it never felt that stable. Would like to get one to help sight in some of my old war guns.

I have a 42 Remington 1903 project I'm working on currently, trying to tune the old bastard up a little and need a good rest. Did some tightening of the receiver screws per recommended specs and am going to work on some non-invasive things to do for the stock next.

Sorry. I haven't checked in here in a while with all the drama in basketball.

Let's start with the bench. I have:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/739045/san-angelo-sure-shot-portable-shooting-bench

It's ok, but the elevation between the seat and the bench is too narrow for me. I end up having to prop my rest on something to raise the rifle.

I want something Ike this:

http://www.btibrands.com/product/the-stable-table/?mobile=true

But I won't buy one without first sittin at it to see if it fits better.

Right now my favorite rest is a something like this:

http://www.btibrands.com/product/tackdriver-bag-filled/?mobile=true

It allows you to wedge the rifle in there and it holds it pretty solidly. The butt rarely needs much support, but it sometimes needs a little something under it to get it still. Then I use rags or something like the small one:

http://www.btibrands.com/product/deadshot-boxed-combo-front-rear-bag-filled/?mobile=true

I also have the front bag from that and don't like it at all. It also has a hole in it and leaks sand everywhere.

I have this and don't care for it.

http://www.btibrands.com/product/lead-sled-dft-dual-frame-technology/?mobile=true

It doesn't really let you shoot the gun so you don't know if your eye is properly lined up in the scope. I'm sure it has it's uses though.

I would like to try

http://www.btibrands.com/product/rock-br-competition-front-shooting-rest/?mobile=true

With a nice rear rest. I think it could be good too and it would allow you to shoot any style of rifle with the rest.

Hope that helps

Yes that does help, it's good to know that I have been contemplating the same things, especially since I have seen the results of your efforts and you seem to take your time and do things right.

The Lead Sled seems an awful lot like that damned Group Therapy rest I had that I got from Walmart. It was awful. Never could get it to tighten up enough to get off what I felt were stable shots. I ended up using a combination of duct tape and rags with that silly thing, and usually was almost "laying" on the back of the gun to get the stock stuck into some sort of "crevice" so I could get off any kind of a stable shot.

I have seen some folks discuss the merits of shooting from rests and feel that sand bags are the best since totally locking down a gun isn't realistic...but, although it's not realistic, to me it would be be beneficial to getting as close to zero as possible with glass or irons. Perhaps the best would be to still allow the gun to rise and "vibrate" as it's supposed to during the shot, but at the very least have he butt supported well and be comfortable.

The Primos Group Therapy sled just never felt comfortable to me, always felt like I was chasing the rear of the gun into position.

I would love to get a rest that allows for lever action. I have been looking around, there's really not anything I would consider to be top notch when it comes to shooting rests. Perhaps it's time to design something...

http://www.btibrands.com/product/fire-control-full-length-rest/

This may be a better option for someone that wants a whole support rest. It allows you to get behind the rifle more like you would when shooting without a rest while supporting the whole rifle, but without sitting behind it, I don't know.

The problem with the X shaped sand bags is that if you want to shoot something like AR15 or even many bolt action rifles with a detachable box magazine, it is less useful. The magazine just gets in the way too much.

One of the things I have found to help me get way more steady is if the rifle is sort of gripped by the support. On the "Rock BR" the sides of the rest can become more and less narrow, pinching the forearm of the rifle just a bit to keep it more steady. The X shaped bags do that very well but can also contact the barrel which you don't want to have happen.

On my 300 WSM the bottom of the forearm is wide and flat which is pretty nice when shooting off of things. It gives a pretty stable platform, but weirdly, it doesn't fit so well into the X bag. The top V of the bag is too tight and I have to sort of wedge it in there. Smaller, less wide, more rounded forearms work very well with it, though. I have some 5 shot groups with my Cooper 17HMR from 100 yards in the dime size range and some 50 yard 22 even smaller off the X bag. Honestly, for the price, it would be my recommendation. The downside is sand bags just weigh a lot.

The 2nd half is the shooting table. Mine is ok as I stated. It has 4 contact points which means that its rarely perfectly flat on the ground. Three legs are always perfect, which is why most these days are. Also, you want the table to be pretty heavy or you need to add weight. A heavy table is a steady table. While my table is very heavy and a little short, it folds up into a very flat space which is great for storage. It's a finger smashing son of a bitch, though. If you don't have to buy a table, then don't worry about it much, but if you do, try to go to a Cabelas or Bass Pro where they might have a table or two assembled for you to sit behind. Mine is so short I really have to hunch over if I don't set the X bag on some 2x4's. It's annoying as heck. One of these days, I'll set everything up and show you what I mean. It really is a silly set up as much as I like to shoot. I should just buy a new table.

Sorry. I don't have a computer at home and have to type everything on my Iphone which is seriously annoying.

And please let me know what you buy and if you like it. I'm always interested in this stuff.

I certainly will share, I might even "build" a rest. I have access to lots of metal and wood, and a welder (I can weld a bit as well), so I might do that instead of buy. I want to make something that will accommodate large mags and levers, yet be able to use with my 30.06 shorter rifle and older military guns.

Amazon product ASIN B002APAWY2
might be worth a try for lever guns. I have a set and didn't like them too much but probably should have let more sand out to make them more pliable. Now the front one has a hole in it and leaks sand so I don't use it much any more but it would allow more versatility for what you're looking for and it isn't expensive.

They're awesome. I don't have one and have never used one but I've watched them being used. The downside is your ability to see multiple targets with one set up. IE: let's say you take 3 rifles you want to shoot from 100 yards. I think to be able to see very clearly you'll have to readjust the camera onto each target rather than being able to cover multiple targets each time. It isn't a huge thing until you get several hundred away and it takes a long time to get back and forth.

This one is HD so you may have enough resolution to cover more than one target.

Here is a review of the system. I couldn't listen to it but the guy looked happy haha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT