ADVERTISEMENT

Projector or large led/lcd

squeak

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Jun 11, 2001
My media room is wired for a projector. I have enough space for at least a 90" screen. Any preferences or recommendation for a projector?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm in a similar boat and from what I'm gathering, an led at 90in will likely give you more versatility and value for the buck. You can get a stellar 90in flat screen for what it'd take to get a projector plus you would keep the ability to keep the room somewhat lightened. There are not any reasonable led options after 90in right now, thus anything bigger, the cost benefit swings to the projector.

I had the same dilemma a couple of years ago. I went with the 80" Sharp Aquos 3D. Great television. I know they have it in 90" now and the price has come down.

squeak,

There's a point to where the screen size can actually hinder your viewing, rather than enhance it (your eyeballs can't adjust to take in everything on the screen.)

There's a couple of websites out there that let you calculate the largest screen you would want, based on the size of the room, your distance from the screen, etc. You may want to take a gander at one to make certain your choosing the best sized screen for you viewing pleasure.

Is plasma approaching extinction?

I still love my 60" Pioneer Elite I bought in 2006, and while LED/LCD have improved I have yet to see better overall quality than a high end plasma.

Heck I'm not even sure who makes plasma anymore, which is odd given how many consumers love them.

Thanks fellas. My room is painted black but we use it everyday. Got a bar in the back where we eat dinner and watch tv some. Usually have some lights on. LCD or LED is probably the way to go. I saw a 75" Samsung on sale for $2k and I may get one of those in the next few months or see if the price comes down on the 80".

Originally posted by The Duke:
Is plasma approaching extinction?

I still love my 60" Pioneer Elite I bought in 2006, and while LED/LCD have improved I have yet to see better overall quality than a high end plasma.

Heck I'm not even sure who makes plasma anymore, which is odd given how many consumers love them.
Yes, I think it was this past winter Samsung halted production of their Plasma's.

Anvil needs to chime in. We are having audio dementions do his theater room and they have been great to work with.

I'm not sure what projector they are using but it will be nice.

boxter, that's one of the great Freudian slips of all time: Audio Dementions (as in demented individuals) rather than Audio Dimensions.

Sorry, I may have to steal that one as the name of my band.

I have an old Sony Grand Wega 60inch LCD projection from 2005. I paid 30 bucks and changed the lamp, and my wife and kids love the hell out of it.

Still has a damn good picture for being almost 10 years old.

Originally posted by Rulz:
I have an old Sony Grand Wega 60inch LCD projection from 2005. I paid 30 bucks and changed the lamp, and my wife and kids love the hell out of it.

Still has a damn good picture for being almost 10 years old.
I got the 55" version in 2005 and still using it.....ain't nobody stealing that baby either....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT