ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton

I believe we will beat them but just pointing out that they are a formidable team this season. Dakota will have a tough match.

They just beat Lehigh.
This could easily come down to the heavy weight match.
125 Nic Pic vs. Patrick Glory Dec. Pic
133 Reece Witcraft vs. Ty Agaisse toss up match but go with Travis team score 6-0
141 Kaden Gfeller vs. Pat D'Arcy If Kaden is able to wrestle MD team score 10-0
149 Boo Lewallen vs. Mike D'Angelo dec. for Boo Team Score 13-0
157 Wyatt Sheets vs. Quincy Monday MD for Monday team score 13-4
165 Witlake vs. Tiongson dec. for Witlake team score 16-4
174 Andrew Shomers vs. Parker dec. for Parker due to weight diff. team score 16-7
184 Montalvo vs. Stefanic dec. for Stefanic team score 16-10
197 Dakota Geer vs. Brucki dec. for Brucki in close match teamscore 16-13
285 Austyn Harris vs. Connor Toss up match ?

Reactions: JAY45
Nick needs to wrestle better than he did against the kid from Minnesota. He looked pretty gassed in the 2nd period so maybe it is a weight issue. Sad that our wrestling team schedules a dual the same time and day the 6A football finals are scheduled.

Really big match for Picc and seeding down the road.

Nick needs to wrestle better than he did against the kid from Minnesota. He looked pretty gassed in the 2nd period so maybe it is a weight issue. Sad that our wrestling team schedules a dual the same time and day the 6A football finals are scheduled.

To be fair, we didn't schedule the dual at the same time as a football game. I'm sure the dual has been on the schedule a lot longer.

I always like John"s humility in his statements about not being a wrestler anymore because of age. I also liked his statements about back in high school his sisters were beating him and so he couldn't have a big ego.

John always struck me as a guy that was extremely modest publicly, but supremely confident internally.

I remember Jamill Kelly talking about going live with John. Jamill had just won the 2004 Olympic team spot and he was having his way with everyone in practice. He said John just walked up to him one day and said "I know I would have made the Olympic team in 1996 & 2000, now I'm going to find out if I would have made the 2004 team". Jamill said John did that to raise his intensity and get him to another level for Athens.

This could easily come down to the heavy weight match.
125 Nic Pic vs. Patrick Glory Dec. Pic
133 Reece Witcraft vs. Ty Agaisse toss up match but go with Travis team score 6-0
141 Kaden Gfeller vs. Pat D'Arcy If Kaden is able to wrestle MD team score 10-0
149 Boo Lewallen vs. Mike D'Angelo dec. for Boo Team Score 13-0
157 Wyatt Sheets vs. Quincy Monday MD for Monday team score 13-4
165 Witlake vs. Tiongson dec. for Witlake team score 16-4
174 Andrew Shomers vs. Parker dec. for Parker due to weight diff. team score 16-7
184 Montalvo vs. Stefanic dec. for Stefanic team score 16-10
197 Dakota Geer vs. Brucki dec. for Brucki in close match teamscore 16-13
285 Austyn Harris vs. Connor Toss up match ?
As bad as I am at predictions, I think the team score will be more open than this. Monday will be favored over Wyatt. Think the final four will kind of be tossups also, but we will win 2 of those 4. Looking forward to the dual.

Hope Kenny can come. Think it would be kind of cool when they are announcing the names if Kenny and Mike went out and shook hands :)

Starting at 165, Princeton forfeits due to a failed skin test.

6-0 oSu

197 Dec Brucki 12-6 9-6 Princeton

Geer got outworked all match but got a reversal at the end to not give up the MD.

285 Dec Harris 5-2 9-9

Harris got a reversal and 2 back points in the 2nd which was the deciding factor in the match.

125 Dec 9-4 Glory 12 - 9 Princeton

Picc was down 6-4 and working on a TD but Glory got the TD to win the match.

157 Dec Monday 3 - 2

18 - 15 oSu

Not sure what to make of this team. I know G is out right now and Joe of course working on weight again.

157 Dec Monday 3 - 2

18 - 15 oSu

Not sure what to make of this team. I know G is out right now and Joe of course working on weight again.

Fix, Brock, G, and Joe all out. That is some firepower. You knew this was going to be a rough one this year. The good news is from next year on we will be as loaded as we have been since we hung a few banners.

Reactions: OSVICTOR
The sooner Joe Smith finishes his eligibility, the better off this team will be. Joe, although a Senior, is the farthest thing from a "leader". Don't need him passing his bad habits to the young guys IMO. It will be also good for Joe as he can be a regular civilian and do whatever he pleases. I'd be shocked if he considers wrestling at the senior level. He lacks the heart, desire, and talent to compete at that level.

Fix, Brock, G, and Joe all out. That is some firepower. You knew this was going to be a rough one this year. The good news is from next year on we will be as loaded as we have been since we hung a few banners.

Yeah, next year and the years to come looking very promising. I knew Fix was out for the Olympic Redshirt. What is Brock's injury?

Yeah, next year and the years to come looking very promising. I knew Fix was out for the Olympic Redshirt. What is Brock's injury?

Brock tore his ACL. G was hurt (lower leg) last week as he had just gotten comfortable and down to weight. Joe is working his way down via the dissension plan. Both G and Joe might go next week.

Me either. Are we just redshirting a lot of talent or poor recruiting the last few years?
Although the future looks good because of recruiting 20 and 21 classes, this year does not. We should get better this year if we ever get everyone who can wrestle for us this year, wrestling. Recruiting in the last 4 years has been substandard with 1 real standout ( Fix). In 2019 our class was rated 13th, in 2018 our class was rated 12th, 2017 we were 5th because we got Daton and 2016 class we were rated 12th. So our depth is not good. Gfeller and Smith not wrestling now hurts but they will be stars in our lineup when they finally start wrestling. One more thing we wrestled poorly as a team tonight. Probably the HWT wrestled the best and he probably would be rated 50th or worse at HWT in the country but he won a match tonight that was vital. By the way 2082 is very positive no matter what. I think he drinks orange kool aid 24/7.

Although the future looks good because of recruiting 20 and 21 classes, this year does not. We should get better this year if we ever get everyone who can wrestle for us this year, wrestling. Recruiting in the last 4 years has been substandard with 1 real standout ( Fix). In 2019 our class was rated 13th, in 2018 our class was rated 12th, 2017 we were 5th because we got Daton and 2016 class we were rated 12th. So our depth is not good. Gfeller and Smith not wrestling now hurts but they will be stars in our lineup when they finally start wrestling. One more thing we wrestled poorly as a team tonight. Probably the HWT wrestled the best and he probably would be rated 50th or worse at HWT in the country but he won a match tonight that was vital. By the way 2082 is very positive no matter what. I think he drinks orange kool aid 24/7.

I just know the realistic outlook of 2019 especially once Brock tore his ACL and Fix confirmed he was taking an ORS. This shouldn’t be a surprise....

Now if looking at the future with what we have returning and coming in the next two classes doesn’t excite you then I don’t know what to tell you.

Burks, Fix, Witcraft, Mastro, G, Boo, Balmeceda, Mastro, Witlake, Surber, Plott, Taco, Ferrari, Geer, and Haas. That’s is a bunch of high end high ceiling talent.

The sooner Joe Smith finishes his eligibility, the better off this team will be. Joe, although a Senior, is the farthest thing from a "leader". Don't need him passing his bad habits to the young guys IMO. It will be also good for Joe as he can be a regular civilian and do whatever he pleases. I'd be shocked if he considers wrestling at the senior level. He lacks the heart, desire, and talent to compete at that level.
Let's never miss an opportunity to trash Joe Smith, after all, he is a cheater, axe murderer, and serial rapist.

Oh..... actually no, he's none of these things, just a very very tiny bit more like the rest of us that weren't crazy dedicated, insanely tough psychopaths like other D1 wrestlers. On his behalf, I'd like to apologize for his merely being a multiple time all-american for OSU.

Trashing him at every turn has grown very old.

Let's never miss an opportunity to trash Joe Smith, after all, he is a cheater, axe murderer, and serial rapist.

Oh..... actually no, he's none of these things, just a very very tiny bit more like the rest of us that weren't crazy dedicated, insanely tough psychopaths like other D1 wrestlers. On his behalf, I'd like to apologize for his merely being a multiple time all-american for OSU.

just calling it like I see it...don't like it..too bad!! Use to defend the kid to a fault...but after awhile you get to a point where making excuses for literally everything he does isn't doing him any favors. Not like I didn't say anything that's not true. I've acknowledge his talent so I don't need a refresher. I see a lot people on here ripping football, basketball players and coaches and with a lot more malice, so please spare me the self righteous speech. That sh*t don't fly with me.

Last edited:
I just know the realistic outlook of 2019 especially once Brock tore his ACL and Fix confirmed he was taking an ORS. This shouldn’t be a surprise....

Now if looking at the future with what we have returning and coming in the next two classes doesn’t excite you then I don’t know what to tell you.

Burks, Fix, Witcraft, Mastro, G, Boo, Balmeceda, Mastro, Witlake, Surber, Plott, Taco, Ferrari, Geer, and Haas. That’s is a bunch of high end high ceiling talent.
Probably going to be a long year. Great talent for the future but until the NCAA comes down on Penn St (& others) for violations nothing likely to change at the national level.

I think the hopes the the greatest Wrestler of all time had offspring taking the mat has enhanced expectations of him.

It appears he is more like Pat Smith, post-competition than he is either John or Pat during competition. He does have a weight issue that he appears unwilling to make a commitment to and he likes college more than college Wrestling. Who could blame him? It's easier to be a special force soldier than it is to be a starter for John Smith.

For me, selfishly, I'd love to see a little commitment. The kid is so freaking good, I'd love to see him at full potential. Most likely, he will under-perform and be an AA.

Probably going to be a long year. Great talent for the future but until the NCAA comes down on Penn St (& others) for violations nothing likely to change at the national level.

We will be very much in the picture to win a title starting in 2021/2022 and then for the next 2-3 years.

We have added the caliber and number of high end talent that PSU has this past decade.

Reactions: JAY45
There's another piece to this, it's not only about Joe. He's not the first guy to suffer injuries and/or burnout. But his actions impact others and the team as a whole. From the outside, it appears like the staff is bending over backwards to accommodate him.

We all know about last year's debacle when guys were forced to change weights multiple times. But how do the coaches allow a repeat of that this year? Shouldn't Joe have been required to make weight in preseason? Instead he was the last one to certify (along with G) on 11/1. He was between 174.1 and 184. Two weeks later he weighed in at 185. So he actually gained weight post certification. Has anyone heard of that before? Geer should not have been at 197 last night. Dakota & John both said he doesn't have the horsepower for the weight. He's wrestling up to get Montalvo in the lineup and help the team win duals.

The media is very careful not ask John any direct questions regarding Joe, so we won't get any answers there. But from the outside, it's not a good look for the program IMO.

There's another piece to this, it's not only about Joe. He's not the first guy to suffer injuries and/or burnout. But his actions impact others and the team as a whole. From the outside, it appears like the staff is bending over backwards to accommodate him.

We all know about last year's debacle when guys were forced to change weights multiple times. But how do the coaches allow a repeat of that this year? Shouldn't Joe have been required to make weight in preseason? Instead he was the last one to certify (along with G) on 11/1. He was between 174.1 and 184. Two weeks later he weighed in at 185. So he actually gained weight post certification. Has anyone heard of that before? Geer should not have been at 197 last night. Dakota & John both said he doesn't have the horsepower for the weight. He's wrestling up to get Montalvo in the lineup and help the team win duals.

The media is very careful not ask John any direct questions regarding Joe, so we won't get any answers there. But from the outside, it's not a good look for the program IMO.

I don’t love the look of it but we also just don’t know everything so it’s hard to draw the conclusion the staff is bending over backwards for him. Let’s assume he hasn’t been injured or dealing with any injuries and is just struggling with weight. What is the staff supposed to do?

They are waiting for him to get to weight (they aren’t moving guys around because of him) and then he will do what every wrestler at every program does and that is compete for a spot. If he wins it, he will wrestle.

Last year the entire preseason plan was thrown off schedule because of Preston’s injury.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT