ADVERTISEMENT

Pre-Hillary Shopping Spree

longrangebunnykiller

2nd Team
Gold Member
Nov 12, 2004
After weeks of negotiations with my wife, I just completed paperwork on a small loan against my 401k intended to purchase super-scary black guns, killer bullets, and high capacity magazine-clips before Hillary is elected. Unfortunately, I seem to be slow to this realization as items are already disappearing off the shelves! In any case, I (now) have about $7,000 to spend - with my wife's blessing (!!) - and I would love your input as to what needs purchasing. I have about $1,000 budgeted for 5.56, .22, and 7.62 ammo and a dozen or so hi-cap mags (er..magazine-clips) and I would really like to pick up an M&P 15-22 as well...leaving about $5,500 to spread out amongst soon-to-be-scarce items. No handguns, glass, or hunting rifles. Should I go with a handful of stripped lowers? An AR-10? An SBR (.300 BLK) with a can? Are the Sig MXCs any good? I'm awfully tempted by the iconic "red furniture" AK-47, but I'm torn as to whether it is scary enough to be banned. Probably.

Any other suggestions? What have I overlooked? @dtspoke @Jeff J. @TexasCowPoke

p.s. In a few months, several of these items will be for sale. Let me know if you are prone to panic purchases (like me!!) and I'll see what I can do for you. :)

Get a Ruger SR556 and 762 and spend the rest on ammo is my immediate thought.

Some cheap upper and lowers isn't a bad idea either.

But realistically I think magazines are most likely to be banned in a Hill presidency, and ammo taxed out of sight.

I think some stripped lowers would be a good idea.

I'd consider components for an SPR build. I also have considered a Colt 6920 SOCOM.

Heck, while we are dreaming, how about a civilian FN M249?

I think also the only changes we'll see are high cap magazines, and like jeff said, increased tax on ammo or supplies even. Not seriously buying the end of the world stuff I hear. Lots of over-reaction, but it does help gun sales! I will stock up reasonably on some ammo though we're not talking thousands and thousands of rounds.

Definitely get mags. As we all know Colorado banned high cap mags in state, but you can purchase out of state and bring them in as long as they don't have a date stamp. It's completely unenforceable and LEO in state have said they don't even try.

If a guy shot up a place with a high cap mag, then that's another felony they could hang on him, but that's about it.

If they ban federally, then all bets are off and anything existing will need to be pre-ban.

Thanks everyone who replied; I'm off to the gun store tomorrow, check in hand. My ammo and mag allocation has gone up; top-end AR purchase down. SBR still under consideration...pics to follow.

Round 1...
2016-10-30%2021.48.40.jpg

The S&W MP 15 and MP 15-22 were in stock (no Rugers or Colt options locally). Ammo and magazines aplenty. Stripped lowers almost impossible to find anywhere.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
Great purchases.

Gunbroker has a pile of stripped lowers for sale right now at some pretty reasonable prices. There is an Aero Precision AR 10 I've been eyeing for a while.

Our local gun store was commenting on 9mm experiencing the beginnings of a run while .223 and .22 were "OK" but tightening. And I should have qualified last night: polymer ($50) and the expensive billet lowers ($350+) are locally available, but neither are in my quality/budgetary sweet spot. Looking at gunbroker, there does appear to be several good options available...round 2 coming up. :)

Separately, does anyone have recommendations and/or buying guidelines on an AK-47? Forged vs. stamped; pre-import ban vs post; American vs. Eastern Bloc, etc...Not technically an AK, but the Saiga-12 looks fun!

Found my lowers: two complete and two stripped; all 5.56/.223.
Colt-6720.png

Colt 6720.

Noveske.png

Noveske...always wanted one of these. A matching upper will certainly be pricey, but (theoretically) that can wait.

DS-Arms-DontTread.png

DS Arms...paid too much ($155) for this block of aluminum, but it matches a tattoo so we're practically soul mates.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
You tell you your wife that if she ever needs a new husband...wait, ummm, I mean uhh, that's awesome.

Seriously, anyone else here possess the ability to convince their wife they should let them take out a loan and buy a whole bunch of cool shit?

I don't have a wife...anymore...but if there are other women out there like this, I just may start looking!

You tell you your wife that if she ever needs a new husband...wait, ummm, I mean uhh, that's awesome.

Seriously, anyone else here possess the ability to convince their wife they should let them take out a loan and buy a whole bunch of cool shit?

I don't have a wife...anymore...but if there are other women out there like this, I just may start looking!

There are really no women like this sans heavy medication.

I don't know if any of you have the option to take out a loan against your 401(k) plan, but we can get a loan for up to 50% of our plan's current value at an interest rate of prime + 2% (not great)...where this option shines is you end up paying the interest to yourself instead of the bank. So I sold this as funding our retirement. :) Of course, I'll probably end up with a sewing machine or some other such nonsense when the same argument is thrown back at me...but for now, it's an "investment in our future." The only stipulation is I had to sell one of the guns and turn a profit...I can live with that.

Oh, and if Trump is elected, I ended up with several new guns and less stress concerning their immediate future. Win-win!

Reactions: shortbus
I don't know if any of you have the option to take out a loan against your 401(k) plan, but we can get a loan for up to 50% of our plan's current value at an interest rate of prime + 2% (not great)...where this option shines is you end up paying the interest to yourself instead of the bank. So I sold this as funding our retirement. :) Of course, I'll probably end up with a sewing machine or some other such nonsense when the same argument is thrown back at me...but for now, it's an "investment in our future." The only stipulation is I had to sell one of the guns and turn a profit...I can live with that.

Oh, and if Trump is elected, I ended up with several new guns and less stress concerning their immediate future. Win-win!

I've bought so many guns over the years I pretty much set a rule I follow. If I want a new gun, I have to let one go so I have a net zero gain in firearms. How many do I have? More than I regularly shoot but not too many. Maybe 35 or so. I've just taken to upgrading anything I have and like. So if I really like my cheap 243, I'll buy a really nice 243 and sell my cheap 243. Or if I like my nice 243 single shot, I'll step up and buy a nice repeater 243 and sell the single shot.

You get the idea. Anyway, I'd rather spend my coin on ammunition these days.

My firearms budget has effectively been nil for ten years. Sold a rifle a while back to pay for a handgun and an AR (or part of one, anyway), but that's about it until two weeks ago. Now I don't even have a place to put all the guns, parts, and ammo. Funny thing is, I purchased my first handgun, a Glock 19 under Bill Clinton right around the passage of the Brady bill...still have that handgun and original pre-ban mags and here I go again with another Clinton. Broken down by administration, I've probably purchased 90% of my firearms under Clinton(s?) and Obama...with the one exception being a hunting rifle I no longer own.

I've bought so many guns over the years I pretty much set a rule I follow. If I want a new gun, I have to let one go so I have a net zero gain in firearms. How many do I have? More than I regularly shoot but not too many. Maybe 35 or so. I've just taken to upgrading anything I have and like. So if I really like my cheap 243, I'll buy a really nice 243 and sell my cheap 243. Or if I like my nice 243 single shot, I'll step up and buy a nice repeater 243 and sell the single shot.

You get the idea. Anyway, I'd rather spend my coin on ammunition these days.

This is identical to what I do. I've sold almost 1/3 of my guns and I'm stil in the mid 30's

I"m guessing 35 guns is a bit above average if your not a collector. What might the average be for a regular guy? I probably only have about 13 or so.

Well, 35 is inflated. It would be about 15-20 for all rifles, handguns, and shotguns that I personally purchased. I also have several firearms of various styles that were inherited. While they're mine, I don't ever shoot them. Some of them are in unshootable form. Some are collectors like the pair of engraved Colt SAA's and a one is a sidearm of my great great grandfather. Some where damaged in a fire and are unshootable. Others are shotguns I'll never shoot and probably should just get rid of.

What I personally own and what I actively shoot are two very different things. I have about 7 handguns, 6 rifles and 3 shotguns that are my normal, active shooters. Everything else is just stuff.

To sort of illustrate what I'm currently upgrading. My 300 WSM had a Leupold VX-6 2-12 CDS scope on it. It has a fixed parallax which is set to 150 yards. I'm not consistent enough on my shooting form to shoot the scope properly. I've sold the Leupold and am buying a Swarovski.

Also, I've had a crappy spotting scope for years but would like to upgrade that as well. Those are the two things I am currently working on saving up for.

Camofire.com has had a Vortex Viper HD spotter listed on their daily sales several times in the last few weeks. Like 50% off.

Camofire.com has had a Vortex Viper HD spotter listed on their daily sales several times in the last few weeks. Like 50% off.

I'm going to be in the city next week and one of my primary goals is to get to Cabelas and test drive some scopes.

I've read good things about the vortex

I'm new to Vortex. Where do they fit in the quality / cost matrix? Leupold? Zeiss? I've been tempted by some of their cheaper low power optics for my AR, but never looked through one.

I'm new to Vortex. Where do they fit in the quality / cost matrix? Leupold? Zeiss? I've been tempted by some of their cheaper low power optics for my AR, but never looked through one.

I'm partial to them, mainly because my bro-in-law reps them so I get major discounts on stuff. However, I find their products to be very good. Most of these optics companies are putting out pretty good products these days, so I think it just personal preference and where you can find a good deal.

As for an optic for your AR, I put the Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 on my AR chambered in 6.8. I absolutely love that scope. I can turn it down to 1x and its like a red dot and I can shoot with both eyes open, and crank it up to 6x and comfortably shoot out to 250.

I'm going to be in the city next week and one of my primary goals is to get to Cabelas and test drive some scopes.

I've read good things about the vortex

In yesterdays flyer I got in the mail from Cabelas they have the angled Vortex Razor HD spotting scope (20-60x85) on sale for $999.

This week, I realized I was probably under insured on my new firearms. Has anyone else taken out an insurance policy (in addition to homeowners basic coverage) for your firearms?

I do. But I'm not sure it is worth it. I have about $50,000 worth of insurance for loss on anything else besides what the home owners policy covers. It's about $800 a year if I remember correctly and probably not worth it in Guymon since all mine are in safes.

Politicians will probably leave those alone - leaving only rust as your enemy. Nice set of rifles! Care to name and list?

Those 4 are all Henry Original Rifles chambered in 44-40.

From the top down:

The newest one, the Engraved Silver Edition, H011SD

2nd Edition Engraved Edition, H011D2

1st Edition Engraved, H011D

And the last one is the Iron Frame Edition, H011IF.

I shoot the iron frame gun, the other 3 are safe queens. If you know Henry rifles, then you will instantly know what these guns represent. But they are made out of all American materials, and I can honestly say they are fantastic works of art, and I have been around the Uberti versions (which are nice guns, but to me they don't quite stir the soul like these do). I have pondered using the iron frame as a deer rifle.

Last edited:
Oh, and I love my AR-15 and all the other battle rifles, but lever guns and revolvers...something about the old iron (or in this case, old style iron) that really gets me going.

Bunny killer, you were asking about AKs...have you thought about an SKS? They are still fairly cheap (as cheap as any military gun can be right now really besides a Mosin) and are just as reliable, with better accuracy.

I kinda gave up on finding a decent price on an AK and started buying up any SKS I find for a decent price. Once the supply dries up, I'm sure they will go the way that everything else military has went. Might be awhile, but in the mean time they are a decent gun to get a couple of if someone is into surplus rifles.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT