ADVERTISEMENT

Postseason vs Regular season

Wrassler17

All-American
Mar 20, 2017
Thought about this when I saw Minny had bumped 4 guys up in weight this year. Has a team ever had 3 or more guys go down in weight just for the postseason? We know it's hard to make weight for 5 months, why not shorten the season then?

I am NOT recommending this, just using our team as an example for illustration purposes. Imagine that Picc & Shomers are not on the roster and we don't have NCAA point scorers at 125 & 157. Hypothetically, at the end of January, Daton, Kaid, Boo & Joe could start their descent down in weight to get ready for Big12s. That means backups would man the 133 & 141 spots for duals in February (G would jump in at 149). Then at Big12s the lineup would be Daton @ 125, Kaid @ 133, Boo @ 141, G @ 149, Joe @ 157. Has a team ever tried something like that? Could it work? I can think a few potential drawbacks - weight certifications, losing conference qualifiers, risks to at-large selections, accused of downplaying duals, etc.

Thoughts?

Thought about this when I saw Minny had bumped 4 guys up in weight this year. Has a team ever had 3 or more guys go down in weight just for the postseason? We know it's hard to make weight for 5 months, why not shorten the season then?

Thoughts?

Sure back in the 60s. Now, bad idea.

Before last year wrestlers had to “certify” (similar to high schoolers weighing in flat at whatever weight they wrestle regionals at) their lowest weight by February 15th. Last year that was done away with, now as long as their lowest allowable weight is scheduled before “postseason competition” they can weigh in. But they can only lose 1.5% of their current weight each week.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Before last year wrestlers had to “certify” (similar to high schoolers weighing in flat at whatever weight they wrestle regionals at) their lowest weight by February 15th. Last year that was done away with, now as long as their lowest allowable weight is scheduled before “postseason competition” they can weigh in. But they can only lose 1.5% of their current weight each week.

Meaning before you needed to make weight by 2/15 and that is no longer the case?

Ou had a few about 6 years ago when Rutt moved from 197 to 184 and Howell from 184 to 174. It seemed like they only did this so Howell could avoid Chris Perry before the big XIIs.

Reactions: Wrassler17
Time to dust off this thread.

With Joe winning the 165 spot, we have now meet the criteria - at least 3 guys dropping down in weight for the post season. Couple of things. First, I'm amazed we pulled off these weight shifts and still remained undefeated in duals. And second, Chris said something interesting tonight about the automatic qualifiers. He said that if (when) Joe, Jacobe, & Dakota steal spots, the other conference guys will likely get at-large selections.

I'm damn curious to see how this all plays out and if it will change how teams plan for the post season in the future.

Reactions: osuind
ADVERTISEMENT