ADVERTISEMENT

Post here if you've seen Rogue One.

Yeah, I thought the trailers were almost misleading. I think there was a shot of her running in one of them holding the 'cassette' and both the robot and the dude were with her. There was also the one of her limping towards the TIE fighter on the high platform.

We just watched #4 cause the kids wanted to see how it tied into Rogue One.

First off, my kids thought #4 was insanely boring for quite some time. At points, I can't say I disagreed with them. Much slower pace than any of the others.

As far as the storm troopers, they weren't just plain whities in the first one.
- On Tatoonie the whites all had the orange shoulder pad. Also, there were all manner of various gear they carried, from backpacks to squad assault weapons to nothing. Really no 2 seemed outfitted the same.
- During the scene when they are trapped in the cell block hallway, several of the troopers running in were black.
- TIE pilots were black with air tubes.

So this leads one to believe that there was a differing outfit for each type of troopers, because we only really saw space garrison, deployed, and air crew. Therefore in the future when we saw variations, they usually came in different types of climate (snow, jungle, beach), different types of weapon systems (speeders, AT-AT), and so forth. I don't think the variations were THAT much of stretch.

star-wars-rogue-one-ghost-pic.jpg

Sure enough... there's the Ghost.

Reactions: gopokes2003
CHOPPER-IN-R1.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

And Chopper.

I believe this scene right here is when the name "General Syndula" can be heard on the base's comm system.

Loved it. At minimum, it's the third best movie of the franchise behind IV and V. Possibly better than IV.

Most grown up, realistic and best written movie. If not for IV, V wouldn't have been as good etc.

Great characters. Very little in the way of cheesy catch phrases and nostalgia cameos. Total time spent on that probably 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Too lazy to look it up.....is this some ship from the old non-official prequel novels or cartoon star wars show(s)?

So... you don't watch Rebels? Are your kids watching it?

It's good stuff, and it's as official as Rogue One.

Like Rogue One it takes place between episodes III and IV (about 4 or 5 years before IV).

Saw Gerrera was also from one of the cartoons (The Clone Wars in his case)
that is also officially Star Wars Cannon. I do not like that show as much as Rebels personally, but it's a lot better than the prequels. Anakin'a path makes a little more sense based on events in that show though. Lucas flirted with the idea of a live TV show based on Saw Gerrera.

That is awesome, great shots.

Rebels is a great Star Wars cartoon; not just good, but great.

Clone Wars was good but one of the biggest problems I had is that nothing was chronological; it just jumped around so bad you wondered where you were.

Reactions: TheRedSon
Saw it for the second time, went with some church guys. I liked it even better than seeing it at the premiere. I noticed the music MUCH more tonight, all I can say is that I miss John Williams.
Also noticed the relative lack of space dogfights, and was perfectly okay with that given the other aspects.
Held up well the second time, probably will go one more time with the wife.

That is awesome, great shots.

Rebels is a great Star Wars cartoon; not just good, but great.

Clone Wars was good but one of the biggest problems I had is that nothing was chronological; it just jumped around so bad you wondered where you were.

I did not want to over sale it... but yes, Rebels is great. The first 6-8 episodes are basically good kid TV in a Star Wars setting. From Empire Day through the end of season 2 is fantastic.

Rebels is much better than the Clone Wars for hundreds of reasons. Both of these shows have done something Star Wars just wasn't doing until these last two movies though, and that's put strong female characters (more than one) into the story, and for reasons other than the hero needs a chick. I really like Ahsoka Tano, and, more importantly, she is my daughter's favorite Star Wars character.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
@TheRedSon , @SouthWestOKPoke and others that watch Rebels and/or The Clone Wars. Have you watched the Clone Wars Lost missions on Netflix? It is thirteen un-aired episodes. Really good stuff so far. We just started watching last week.

Reactions: SouthWestOKPoke
@TheRedSon , @SouthWestOKPoke and others that watch Rebels and/or The Clone Wars. Have you watched the Clone Wars Lost missions on Netflix? It is thirteen un-aired episodes. Really good stuff so far. We just started watching last week.

I have not watched them.

I haven't seen all of The Clone Wars at all yet. The lost missions are at the end of series?

I have not watched them.

I haven't seen all of The Clone Wars at all yet. The lost missions are at the end of series?

They take place throughout the timeline. so far they do a pretty good job of filling in some of the plot holes.

I really like Ahsoka Tano, and, more importantly, she is my daughter's favorite Star Wars character.

I was really hoping Ahsoka would show up in one of the new movies. Now that there has been 'official' crossover from the toons to the movies, perhaps she might.

She left the Jedi Order, so she would not make a liar out of Yoda/Ben when they were talking about last hope and/or one more.

She was included in the starter pack (with Anakin) of the Infinity game console series, so most kids are going to know who she is.

And to top it off, she was Vader's padawan before he was Vader so she could help tie everything else together. Actually, she was the first reason Anakin had for beginning to doubt the Jedi Order when they falsely imprisoned her.

Unless, of course, they have plans to kill her off in Season 3.

I don't really see how they can avoid killing her off at some point.

Unless she just refuses to confront Vader again.

She is just as important to Anakin as Obi Wan, but without the lies and suspicion planted by Palpatine.

I was really hoping Ahsoka would show up in one of the new movies. Now that there has been 'official' crossover from the toons to the movies, perhaps she might.

She left the Jedi Order, so she would not make a liar out of Yoda/Ben when they were talking about last hope and/or one more.

She was included in the starter pack (with Anakin) of the Infinity game console series, so most kids are going to know who she is.

And to top it off, she was Vader's padawan before he was Vader so she could help tie everything else together. Actually, she was the first reason Anakin had for beginning to doubt the Jedi Order when they falsely imprisoned her.

Unless, of course, they have plans to kill her off in Season 3.

I don't really see how they can avoid killing her off at some point.

Unless she just refuses to confront Vader again.

She is just as important to Anakin as Obi Wan, but without the lies and suspicion planted by Palpatine.

You don't think she is already dead?

You don't think she is already dead?

Well... maybe.

I think they threw out some clues that she may have escaped that situation.

I do think it's possible that she's not ever the same afterward (as in there might be a character change that makes her refuse or incapable of doing that again).

Well... maybe.

I think they threw out some clues that she may have escaped that situation.

I do think it's possible that she's not ever the same afterward (as in there might be a character change that makes her refuse or incapable of doing that again).

I can't decide which way I am leaning with that.

Rebellion, Road to Rogue One.

This is a fan made video. It captures just about everything we know about the growing resistance in the Galaxy between III and IV in current cannon.

Includes Saw Gerrera's Partisons, Free Ryloth movement, legitimate Imperial Senators organizing, the role of Ahsoka Tano, how they gained hardware (Alderaanian, Corellian and Calamari starships as well as the X-Wing star fighter) and where the Lothal Cell shown in Star Wars Rebels fits in.

So-so. I think this one lost me as a Star Wars 'fan'.

Reason being, I can't keep up with this silliness. Who in the hell are these people and why, after so many years, am I supposed to care? I went in expecting Luke Skywalker and walked out thinking 'who the hell was that chick?'

When I was, oh, 7 or 8, I thought Star Wars was the coolest thing in the world and Star Trek was goofy. Now, fast forward 40 years, I actually found the latest Star Trek Beyond more entertaining and easier to follow. Sure the special effects were great but so was Passengers.

The premise of the movie kind of self-spoiled most of the suspense for me. You know the ending before the movie starts. The big battle at the end of the movie to get the signal out was okay, but we've known they get the plans out since 1977. It kind of defeats the suspense they're trying to build.

It was the typical, really good star wars movie except for that. Keep em' coming.

Finally saw it Christmas Eve. Thought it was great. I would probably rank it my third or fourth favorite.

I guess I just don't care about the whole star wars saga vs star wars story thing. The best description I've hear is that its Episode 3.5. It fills in a part of the back story and does so a lot better then the first three to me. Yes you know they at going to get the plans in the end but you also knew Anakin Skywalker was going to become Darth Vadar for three films. The mystery is how it happens not the ending. Its about the journey not the destination.

The only thing that didn't flow seamlessly into IV for me was that in IV Vadar clearly know Leia is on the ship when he boards, her significance and is specifically seeking her. There was no tie in or acknowledgement of that. She's never mentioned in the entire movie except a vague reference by Jimmy Smits until she dramatically appears in the last minute. Like somehow we are supposed to be surprised she's on the ship.

Obviously all the characters had to die. They've made four sequels with no mention of any of them.

To me the CGI was much better then the first three. The test of CGI is if as in Game of Thrones if flows into the point that you don't notice what's CGI and what isn't. Tarkin was as good as I've ever seen. Not sure Princess Leia had much CGI. They just put a look a like actress in the role and she only had 15 seconds of screen time.

Thought the greatness was they managed to create these character, make you feel for them, and create suspense even though you knew the ending and were pretty sure they were all going to die. That and it had so much better the look and feel of the original then the first three episodes did.

Heard an interview Thursday with one of the writers. Main take ways was the process of the story development. Disney's approach to these new films is that there is no "star wars cannon" outside of the six Lucus films. They may borrow some characters from the books or cartoons but they aren't bound by any of the outside storylines. Everything about these character was a blank slate when they started the story.

Finally saw it Christmas Eve. Thought it was great. I would probably rank it my third or fourth favorite.

I guess I just don't care about the whole star wars saga vs star wars story thing. The best description I've hear is that its Episode 3.5. It fills in a part of the back story and does so a lot better then the first three to me. Yes you know they at going to get the plans in the end but you also knew Anakin Skywalker was going to become Darth Vadar for three films. The mystery is how it happens not the ending. Its about the journey not the destination.

The only thing that didn't flow seamlessly into IV for me was that in IV Vadar clearly know Leia is on the ship when he boards, her significance and is specifically seeking her. There was no tie in or acknowledgement of that. She's never mentioned in the entire movie except a vague reference by Jimmy Smits until she dramatically appears in the last minute. Like somehow we are supposed to be surprised she's on the ship.

Obviously all the characters had to die. They've made four sequels with no mention of any of them.

To me the CGI was much better then the first three. The test of CGI is if as in Game of Thrones if flows into the point that you don't notice what's CGI and what isn't. Tarkin was as good as I've ever seen. Not sure Princess Leia had much CGI. They just put a look a like actress in the role and she only had 15 seconds of screen time.

Thought the greatness was they managed to create these character, make you feel for them, and create suspense even though you knew the ending and were pretty sure they were all going to die. That and it had so much better the look and feel of the original then the first three episodes did.

Heard an interview Thursday with one of the writers. Main take ways was the process of the story development. Disney's approach to these new films is that there is no "star wars cannon" outside of the six Lucus films. They may borrow some characters from the books or cartoons but they aren't bound by any of the outside storylines. Everything about these character was a blank slate when they started the story.

Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons are full cannon, per Kathleen Kennedy, head of Lucas Film.

Reactions: gipraw

Agree with all of your points other than this one. I don't have an issue with this. My feeling is that Vader contacted the freighter and tried to get them to stop and allow him to board. They responded back that they were a diplomatic vessel and Leia spoke to the Star Destroyer herself. He knows they have the plans and he knows that she is lying. He pulled up "google" to find out who she is and concluded that she must be working on behalf of the rebellion, but is also too important for him to just kill her and make a martyr of her. I don't really see how it would have been interesting to show us contact between Leia's ship and Vader's ship prior to him coming on board. Would have ended the movie with a let down.

I guess you are saying that you would have liked to see some reference to Leia as a key figure within the Rebellion during Rogue 1, but that would have diminished the impact of the final scene, IMO. I purposely stayed away from spoilers, and wasn't expecting to see
"Carrie Fisher" in this film, so that final scene really resonated for me. It really took me back to 1977, when I was 11 years old and watching SW for the first time (saw in thrice in the theater).

Here's a question....what is Leia "Princess" of? Her father is not a king, he is a diplomat. Maybe "Princess" is a diplomatic title in the SW universe?

).

Here's a question....what is Leia "Princess" of? Her father is not a king, he is a diplomat. Maybe "Princess" is a diplomatic title in the SW universe?

Princess title is very vague. Apparently in the original concept of the film her father was a king. Somewhere between that and the final script it became a diplomatic title. If you remember Natalee Portman was a Queen but somehow only because she was elected to serve as such for a term. Its just more about the Star Wars universe I don't fully understand. I'm sure there's someone on this board who could write a doctorial dissertation of the subject.

Leia is princess of the planet Alderaan, a member of the Imperial Senate and an agent of the Rebel Alliance

Leia was created by Star Wars creator George Lucas. In 1999, Lucas explained his early development of Leia, Luke and Obi-Wan Kenobi:

The first [version] talked about a princess and an old general. The second version involved a father, his son, and his daughter; the daughter was the heroine of the film. Now the daughter has become Luke, Mark Hamill's character. There was also the story of two brothers where I transformed one of them into a sister. The older brother was imprisoned, and the young sister had to rescue him and bring him back to their dad.[1]

Film historian Laurent Bouzereau notes in his 1997 book Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays that in the rough draft of Star Wars, Leia is the spoiled teenage daughter of King Kayos and Queen Breha of Aquilae, with two brothers, Biggs and Windy; Biggs returned to the fourth draft as a childhood friend of Luke.[2] According to Skywalking: The Life and Films of George Lucas (1999), Luke Skywalker was originally Luke Starkiller and Leia was "the daughter of Owen Lars and his wife Beru and seems to be Luke's cousin–together they visit the grave of his mother, who perished with his father on a planet destroyed by the Death Star."[3] J. W. Rinzler explains in The Making of Star Wars: The Definitive Story Behind the Original Film (2007) that a later story synopsis establishes Leia as "Leia Antilles", the daughter of Bail Antilles from the peaceful world of Organa Major. In the fourth draft it was established that "Leia Organa" came instead from Alderaan.[4]

Fisher was 19 when she was cast as Princess Leia,[5] with actresses including Amy Irving, Cindy Williams and Jodie Foster also up for the role.[6][7] In 2014, InkTank reported that the extended list of "more than two dozen actresses" who had auditioned for Leia included Glenn Close, Farrah Fawcett, Jessica Lange, Sissy Spacek, Sigourney Weaver, Cybill Shepherd, Jane Seymour, Anjelica Huston, Kim Basinger, Kathleen Turner, Geena Davis and Meryl Streep.[8][9][10] Asked about Streep in 2015, Fisher said, "Bullshit! I've never heard that one. But Jodie Foster was up for it... that one I knew the most. Amy Irving and Jodie. And I got it."[11]

The second draft of the Return of the Jedi screenplay contained dialogue in which Obi-Wan tells Luke he has a twin sister. She and their mother were "sent to the protection of friends in a distant system. The mother died shortly thereafter, and Luke's sister was adopted by Ben's friends, the governor of Alderaan and his wife."[12] Fisher explained in 1983: "Leia's real father left her mother when she was pregnant, so her mother married this King Organa. I was adopted and grew up set apart from other people because I was a princess."[13]

Composer John Williams created a musical leitmotif for Leia which recurs throughout the Star Wars saga. "Princess Leia's Theme" was recorded as a concert suite (4:18 length) for the score of the 1977 film.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_xl72qcu5isp39
From the wiki on Leia's adopted mother.

Breha Organa, born Breha Antilles, was a female Human who was the Queen and Minister of Education of Alderaan at the time of the Galactic Empire's formation. She was the wife of Prince Bail Organa, Viceroy and First Chairman of the Alderaan system.

The systems in the Star Wars galaxy have their own ruling classes for their internal affairs.

Reactions: Been Jammin
This is the very first Star Wars movie with no appearance from Kenobi at all.

The anagram was a nice nod to where we've been for sure.

Reactions: MegaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT