ADVERTISEMENT

Post Apocolypse er...Christmas purchases

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
Anyone else take advantage of the post Christmas sales or plan to?

I picked up a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 with the HSR-4 reticle.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-razor-hd-lh-3-15x42-hsr4-riflescope

Still working on a Swarovski z6 2.5-15x44 BRH reticle. Swaro's sale is over tomorrow so I'm probably going to have to wait on it.

There were lots of AR parts for the build I want to do on sale but I want to get these scopes first.

Anyone else?

IS there a good primer out there about doing an AR build? I'm afraid I know just enough to be dangerous. Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, Stocks, Triggers????

Honestly, I don't know, but I'm sure I can find one. A 308 sized build is slightly different than a 223/5.56 build in that the platforms are not completely uniform and compatible. You have to decide if you build on the DPMS or Armalite. DPMS seems to be the more common one so that's what I am planning on using.

I'll hit AR15.com and snipers hide on scout and see if I can find a primer. I've never built one but think it would be fun to do it. My brother's last build took 2.5 years since he would buy when he got itchy and had some extra cash then let it sit for months.

Brownells and MidwayUSA both have good instructions and videos.

The decision between Armalite and DPMS is crucial. One of the biggest reasons people have issues with component compatibility

Brownells and MidwayUSA both have good instructions and videos.

The decision between Armalite and DPMS is crucial. One of the biggest reasons people have issues with component compatibility
I'm a Armalite guy. DPMS have gotten better, but 10 years ago I had problems with one, so I've shied from them.

I did buy a colt 1911 over Christmas. :)

I did pick up a Swarovski Z6 2.5-15x44 P L with a BRH reticle for $1786. I really shouldn't have and had to get into the savings to make it work but the reg price on these are about $2000 with less negotiating than many other brands. That's the best price I'd been offered. I took it.

I've had some limited time with a scope like this, and they're amazing optics. Their ballistic program sort of sealed the deal for me.

EDIT: forgot links

http://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunting/z6-i-2p5-15x44-p-bt-c20050104/z6-2p5-15x44-p-l-plex-p5006376

Last edited:
I'm a Armalite guy. DPMS have gotten better, but 10 years ago I had problems with one, so I've shied from them.

I did buy a colt 1911 over Christmas. :)

The point I think DTS was making is that their are essentially 2 styles of larger caliber 308's. Armalite and DPMS. I will be building in DPMS because something like 85% of the sales and gear are dedicated towards DPMS style. Nothing on my rifle will actually be DPMS branded products.

There's also a notorious brand, F & D Defense formerly out of Texas but currently residing in Seminole, OK. Their rifles shoot well, but also weigh a lot. They're piston driven instead of direct impingement and proprietary everything. I'm mildly curious about their rifles, but they weigh too much and have too many parts I can't swap out for alternative items to really interest me much.

I say "notorious" because they have a pretty colorful owner, who in the past, has made some people on Sniper's Hide mad. I guess he was combative and asshole-ish in the past. None-the-less, they advertise their rifles of capable of 3/8 MOA. I don't know if that is possible, but everyone that has one that gets the rifle dialed in says they shoot very very well.

EDIT: Forgot links

https://www.fd-defense.com/products/fd308/

https://www.groundzeroprecision.com...of-the-ar-10-the-rise-of-the-dpms-profile-308

Reactions: dtspoke
I like the idea of slightly softer recoil with the gas piston operation (if I'm thinking correctly about this) but geez, a lot of these guns weight a ton, and I'd like something not over 7-8 lbs without optics. Wonder how realistic that is?

I like the idea of slightly softer recoil with the gas piston operation (if I'm thinking correctly about this) but geez, a lot of these guns weight a ton, and I'd like something not over 7-8 lbs without optics. Wonder how realistic that is?

It's realistic for a 223 sized rifle build. Less so for a 308 sized.

To be clear, it is definitely possible for both but component selection gets tougher in a larger chassis, of course. Carbon wrapped barrels, carbon fiber handgaurds, titanium parts and light stocks can be purchased. A carbon barrel swap is your quickest gain but on a short barreled 223, the $$$/ounce of weight savings is pretty small. On a heavy barreled 24" 6.5 Creedmoor, it is pretty huge weight savings.

In genreral, if you want weight down, it will cost $$$. Christensen Arms has a 223 at 5.3# and a 308 at 7#

http://www.christensenarms.com/firearms/msr/ca-10-dmr

http://www.christensenarms.com/firearms/msr/ca-15-vtac™

Very nice... would love to have a Christensen arms anything... but that CA-10 is awesome. Gunbroker had one sold for $3245. A bit more than I'm willing to go.
24 inch barrel should be good for long range shooting????

24 inch is fine for long range. You'd only need the longer barrels for powder burn on some mag offerings, like the Weatherby's

Very nice... would love to have a Christensen arms anything... but that CA-10 is awesome. Gunbroker had one sold for $3245. A bit more than I'm willing to go.
24 inch barrel should be good for long range shooting????

I have one of their bolt guns. It is a fine weapon but has been far from perfect. I think they need a little more refinement. I have no experience with their CA-10 but it is tempting to get the weight savings, alone.

I think I would want to replace the stock with a Magpul PRS but also think I could shed some weight from their build in some other ways. Basically, if my "dream build" works out accurately on par with the CA-10, I think I can be close to their weight and save a little money. Maybe have a few components that are better spec than theirs, too.

My 1918 m1917 Eddystone. It has all Eddystone parts except for the stock which is a very nice Remington. Three companies made these during WW1, Winchester, Remington and Eddystone (which was actually part of Remington). It has the original 5 groove barrel dated 9-18. Kinda cool since I live in 918 area code lol. Sweet old rifle, goes well with my M1 carbine, Garand, Remington 1903 and Colt Commando as far as US war relics.

And yes, those are old Lake City armor piecering 30.06 rounds in a stripper clip. It's all good, I didn't chamber them lol.

My 1918 m1917 Eddystone. It has all Eddystone parts except for the stock which is a very nice Remington. Three companies made these during WW1, Winchester, Remington and Eddystone (which was actually part of Remington). It has the original 5 groove barrel dated 9-18. Kinda cool since I live in 918 area code lol. Sweet old rifle, goes well with my M1 carbine, Garand, Remington 1903 and Colt Commando as far as US war relics.

Are you implying that you bought that for yourself after Christmas?

Both scopes arrived in the mail today. Since I'm sick and can't go run at noon, likely both get mounted at noon tomorow. I'd have a range report Monday but it looks like another blizzard/ice storm will be destroying my cattle and I won't be shooting.

Edit: forgot to mention that Vortex has a nice little ballistics program and I've already printed up a little range card for my drops. I'll be adding wind cards too and they'll all be attached to the rifle for easy reference.

Are you implying that you bought that for yourself after Christmas?

I am actually. Found it at my local store and am enjoying the hell out of the old 5 groove original 1918 barrel. It's kind of the forgotten old war gun, you don't see them around in complete shape that much since a lot of them were sporterized after WW1.

It's hellaciously accurate with just the old iron sights.

My father-in-law loves to find deals on guns. He stumbled upon a clearance at Academy of Remington 700 SPS rifles. They often go for $799 like in the link below, but I was able to get one for $249. I got it in a 308, and he got both a 270 and a 308. This will be much less expensive for target shooting than my main deer rifle which is a 270 WSM.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...l-700-SPS-Wood-Tech-Centerfire-Rifle&i=754626

I am actually. Found it at my local store and am enjoying the hell out of the old 5 groove original 1918 barrel. It's kind of the forgotten old war gun, you don't see them around in complete shape that much since a lot of them were sporterized after WW1.

It's hellaciously accurate with just the old iron sights.

Awesome find. I wasn't sure if you meant the hole rifle or if you just got some cool ammunition.

My father-in-law loves to find deals on guns. He stumbled upon a clearance at Academy of Remington 700 SPS rifles. They often go for $799 like in the link below, but I was able to get one for $249. I got it in a 308, and he got both a 270 and a 308. This will be much less expensive for target shooting than my main deer rifle which is a 270 WSM.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...l-700-SPS-Wood-Tech-Centerfire-Rifle&i=754626

That is a hell of a deal. I know your pain on WSM ammo. I have a 300 WSM and rounds are between $1.50-3.50 per round, but I really love my rifle.

That is a hell of a deal. I know your pain on WSM ammo. I have a 300 WSM and rounds are between $1.50-3.50 per round, but I really love my rifle.
I have a Browning X Bolt 270 WSM that I love and still will use primarily to hunt deer. I would like to get into long range shooting and this 308 will be a perfect rifle to start with.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
I have a Browning X Bolt 270 WSM that I love and still will use primarily to hunt deer. I would like to get into long range shooting and this 308 will be a perfect rifle to start with.

I agree. 308 has soooo much information about it available. I'm going with a 6.5 Creedmoor for my build...whenever that takes off.

My neighbor built a sweet rifle using a Remington 700 in 270. I think he bought the receiver for cheap from someone who was junking out some parts, added a nice a barrel, stock and some glass, ended up with a gun that can shoot dimes at 100 yards for groups. They are damn nice for the price.

Rem 700 is such a fantastic platform to begin with. Tons of after market support and any smith in the country to work on them. Mine will be based on a Rem 700 action so I can use their triggers, stock inletting, etc. I'll likely go with a savage style barrel fitment so I don't have to use a smith to headspace my bolt and a custom action will allow you to do that. I still haven't completely decided between a bolt gun and an AR style 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm just a little scared of building the 6.5 since they're having some over gassing issues with them, especially with suppressors. Very interested to see what SHOT Show comes up with this week. I think some new stuff will be coming to address these issues.

Reactions: Popinski
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT