ADVERTISEMENT

Portland police update

wyomingosualum

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Sep 2, 2005

Portland police look for exit, say they’re ‘burned out’: report
Portland was the center of some of the country’s most destructive protests in 2020

Late last year, Portland’s police department said it received an "unprecedented" number of officers leaving their jobs midcareer to take lower-paying jobs elsewhere — and on Sunday the city’s main newspaper published an article offering a glimpse into the reasons why many decided to leave.

The Oregonian reported that a total of 115 officers have left the department since July 1, 2020, representing "one of the biggest waves of departures in recent memory

The paper said it reviewed 31 exit interview statements from these officers that showed a certain level of disillusion with the job. A retiring detective reportedly wrote in one that the community showed officers "zero support."

"The city council are raging idiots, in addition to being stupid. Additionally, the mayor and council ignore actual facts on crime and policing in favor of radical leftist and anarchist fantasy. What’s worse is ppb command (lt. and above) is arrogantly incompetent and cowardly."

Portland, Oregon, was the center of some of the country’s most destructive protests in 2020, which coincided with the city’s largest jump in homicides in 26 years, according to the paper. KOIN reported that the homicide rate in the city continues to be high and detectives are having a challenging time keeping up with the workflow.

The city experienced 55 killings in 2020 and the paper pointed out that the victims ranged from eight months to 71 years old.

Ted Wheeler, the city’s mayor and therefore head of its police department, told the Oregonian in an email that the city has a "laser focus on building a better public safety system."

"And, as we pursue change to meet Portlanders’ needs and expectations, we must focus on support and care for our employees."

Last summer, a specialized police unit focused on curbing gun violence, which had long faced criticism for disproportionately targeting people of color, was disbanded. Wheeler announced the unit’s disbanding last June and reassigned its 34 officers to patrol. He described it as an opportunity to reimagine policing and redirected $7 million in police funds toward communities of color.

The push was led by Jo Ann Hardesty, the first Black woman elected to the City Council. She cited a 2018 audit showing nearly 60% of people stopped by the gun violence team were Black — though they make up less than 6% of the city’s population.

Nearly half of the 55 total homicide victims in 2020 were people of color, many of them from Portland’s historically Black neighborhoods, according to city statistics.

Wheeler announced earlier this month that he would seek $2 million in one-time funding for police, other agencies and outreach programs to try to stem rampant gun violence in the city.

The Associated Press said Wheeler's move represented an "about-face."

Imagine being smug about living in that progressive shithole

Davie Boy must be so proud.

EyUL_ibWYAItlJm

Last edited:
It gets better....

Portland aims to fight crime with more unarmed park rangers; no new cash for police​

Park rangers are equipped only with pepper spray and a radio​

By Dan Springer | Fox News

Dan Springer reports on the fallout from Portland's police cuts amid a surge in violent crime.

Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler flinched. In the midst of an unprecedented monthslong surge in gun violence and homicides, Wheeler compromised with the Portland City Council and backed off from his request that the Portland Police Bureau be appropriated $2 million in emergency funding. Instead, Wheeler and the commissioners voted to spend $6 million on grants to community groups already receiving funding and hire 24 park rangers.

"What we’re doing today is starting a pathway towards making sure that we’re investing dollars where they make the most good," said Portland City Commissioner Jo Ann Hardesty. "We’re also at the front end of transforming our police department."

POLICE DEFUNDED: MAJOR CITIES FEELING THE LOSS OF POLICE FUNDING AS MURDERS, OTHER CRIMES SOAR

The deal gives police no money but calls for the Portland Police Bureau to assemble a new gun violence team to replace the one eliminated last June, when the city defunded its police by $15 million in the midst of nightly social justice protests.
The new group will be called the Focus Intervention Team. It will be smaller than the former Gun Violence Reduction Team and will have civilian oversight. Police Chief Chuck Lovell said it might be tough to find officers who want to work on the FIT and it will create more staffing shortages elsewhere in the department.

"We’re so lean right now, it’s really hard to find a place where there’s a dozen officers to pull from," Lovell said.
Between COVID-related cutbacks and the defunding demanded by protesters, the Portland Police Bureau’s budget is down $27 million. Eighty-four officer positions were eliminated and since last July 115 officers have quit the department, leaving 818 sworn members in a department that one year ago was budgeted to have 1,001.

In exit interviews, The Oregonian reports nearly all of the officers said they were leaving because of a lack of support from political leaders.
Portland looks to hire more park rangers instead of armed cops

Portland looks to hire more park rangers instead of armed cops (KPTV)

The city’s decision to hire unarmed park rangers instead of more police is being widely criticized by those in law enforcement. Several rangers said they are not trained or equipped to intervene during armed conflicts. Jim Ferraris, president of the Oregon Association Chiefs of Police, served as a longtime officer in Portland and as a chief in a suburban police department. He says the Portland Police Bureau is one of the most understaffed department’s in the country and hiring park rangers won’t reduce gun violence.

"Park rangers aren’t really going to have an impact," said Ferraris. "That’s not what they’re trained for, that’s not what they’re hired for, that’s not what they signed up for. They don’t even have ballistic vests for protection."

Park rangers are equipped only with pepper spray and a radio. On April 3, two rangers were patrolling Chapman Square Park in downtown Portland where a man on a bike had just been hit with a round fired from a paint ball gun. The rangers were confronted by the suspect and chased out of the park. The man carried a machete and threatened to kill the rangers. Once they fled to safety, the rangers called police who came and arrested the suspect.

SUSPECTED PORTLAND FIREBOMBER ARRESTED FOR TRYING TO MURDER POLICE OFFICERS

Still, a park ranger supervisor told commissioners before their vote that rangers can help curb gun violence.
"The Park Ranger program is a unique model that relies on rangers having a specific set of skills and training that includes de-escalation, crises management, anti-bias, cultural competency to gain voluntary compliance," said Vicente Harrison of Portland Parks and Recreation.
While community groups apply for additional grants and Portland hires two dozen more park rangers, the city’s streets have never been more dangerous. Since Jan. 1, there have been 25 homicides, 288 shooting incidents and 91 people injured by gunfire. After setting a 26-year high for murders in 2020, the city is on pace this year for 100 homicides which would shatter the high mark of 70 set in 1987.

Many of the recent murder victims are African American. When the Portland mayor announced he wanted to spend $2 million on the police, several Black leaders were in support.

JFC. What kind of poor bastard are they gonna find for that job?

"The Park Ranger program is a unique model that relies on rangers having a specific set of skills and training that includes de-escalation, crises management, anti-bias, cultural competency to gain voluntary compliance," said Vicente Harrison of Portland Parks and Recreation.

The rangers were confronted by the suspect and chased out of the park. The man carried a machete and threatened to kill the rangers. Once they fled to safety, the rangers called police who came and arrested the suspect.
This is incredible.

@Syskatine @davidallen

I venture over to this board once a month or so just to remind myself that this country is phucked with absolute idiots voting people into power all over this country. It didn’t take but one thread today.

People who vote for this type of “tolerant” shit that leads to this nonsense should be publicly flogged and hit with an a goddam bill at the end of every month paying for the shit these fools cause.

Why do people not see ahead of the curve on anything political? Someone who complains about a phucking evergreen tree being offensive because of lynchings has nothing positive or productive to offer. That is someone with their focus way the hell off important shit, and they’ve been voted into a political position to inject this type of shit into our communities. It’s sickening.

Hopefully @david&fam.com have fences and large canine support around the sky fort and can survive. I would expect that the e-bike (and car) would be a prime target of cultural appropriation. The thing speed sir

Last edited:
It would be great if Antifa/homeless/illegals took over his tree house and then left it in flames when they leave.

Reactions: okcpokefan12
I know we are taking jabs, but I seriously don't want to see anything happen to David. In real life, I believe that he's a nice guy and wouldn't want to see any harm come his way in this season of unrest.
Unfortunately he may vote that upon himself but no one would wish any harm.

Reactions: iasooner2000
Damn. I of course wouldn’t wish harm on Chubby but was so hoping to hear him bemoan being ripped off of one of his toys

I know we are taking jabs, but I seriously don't want to see anything happen to David. In real life, I believe that he's a nice guy and wouldn't want to see any harm come his way in this season of unrest.
David is a nice guy, a generous guy, a smart guy, an OSWho fan, and someone from my own stomping ground that I will meet some day. I like to give him shit, but if gold is the best, David is platinum.

Leftists hurt my brain. Why would anyone in their right mind want to live in a city of retardation like Portland?
Intelligence quotient.
Did he find a place whiter than Portland?
Fargo is our nation's whitest city. Fargo city council is not stupid.
David is a nice guy, a generous guy, a smart guy, an OSWho fan, and someone from my own stomping ground that I will meet some day. I like to give him shit, but if gold is the best, David is platinum.
David is not smart. You, Mr.OSU, HighStickHarry, TPOKE and iasooner2000 would score higher in class room intelligence quotient testing.

So Portland adds to Biden's promise of higher crime rates? Southern border crime is up. Way up. Will Homeland Security adjust Biden's disastrous southern border policy?

So far, Congress has not signed onto Biden's promise of economic stagnation. Biden's EOs have done some harm. Trump's manufacturing, construction and hospitality and entertainment is still strong. Some lockdowns still harm.

How much stimulus money is going into the markets?

Will Congress save our economy? Will the next 2 years be better than we think?

Will Biden bail out Obama's pals in Tehran?

So Wyoming did Googs move @david to Beijing or is the info classified ? We are concerned about the fat fvck

An old story: it was on the old OOB where I introduced 3 questions from a long ago M test directed at no one. The questions were simply part of subject matter.

Inexplicably, soonerinlOUisiana quickly voluntarily answered all three, indicating an IQ in the mid 140s or above.

SIL's achievement was recently repeated by McJackknife at SoonerScoop.

And yes. I'm a Sooner talking about IQ.

So Wyoming did Googs move @david to Beijing or is the info classified ? We are concerned about the fat fvck
Be nice! I think he was planning on taking a break from the politics board for a while. I think it likely that he will pop in on occasion, but not on a daily or even weekly basis. I don’t think it has anything to do with his unwillingness to defend dementia in the Oval Office, but the timing is convenient that way!

Let me be the first to acknowledge that @david appears to be spot on re: the coming wave of mainstream e-vehicles and pedo Joe is parroting the idea of creating a new charging grid. I would like to know how we are going to get the elements from CCP to make all the needed batteries. The range I see on current new Lexus IS 350 miles and this won’t cut it unless a quick charge facility is readily available

Let me be the first to acknowledge that @david appears to be spot on re: the coming wave of mainstream e-vehicles and pedo Joe is parroting the idea of creating a new charging grid. I would like to know how we are going to get the elements from CCP to make all the needed batteries. The range I see on current new Lexus IS 350 miles and this won’t cut it unless a quick charge facility is readily available
You might want to do some research on lithium deposits, and REM in general. The US isn't in bad shape at all there.

Hopefully @david&fam.com have fences and large canine support around the sky fort and can survive. I would expect that the e-bike (and car) would be a prime target of cultural appropriation. The thing speed sir
Two corgies and a heinz57. Closest we get to a crisis is a cornered opossum...

When I think of Dave and its rare that I do, he reminds me of Navin in the Jerk when he finds out he was left at the doorstep and asks if he will always be this color? Ha ha 🤣🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT