ADVERTISEMENT

Place to get a cheap smartphone?

Adman513

All-American
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yukon
Finally decided to get our oldest son (12) a phone, but that means he's getting my wife's old phone (non-smart phone), so really, the wife and I are now looking for a phone for her. We're AT&T customers, and when we went into their stores, they told us all about their new monthly installment plans for getting a new phone (rip off). So, we could pro-rate the payment of a new phone, or pay their full price for one outright. Sure, this makes me a bit of a cheap-ass, but their new (at least, new to me since the last time we had to deal with getting a new phone) approach to selling phones irritated me.

I can bring in an existing phone and just add a line to our plan for our son, and we're just out the monthly cost of the new line. So, here's my question--does anyone know of a cheap place to order smartphones? Preferably, we'd like an iphone (even an older 4 would be fine) as she didn't want to go the route of an Android or Windows phone. For that matter, does anyone have an older phone you don't use anymore that I could buy off of you cheaper than the new ones they're selling in the stores?

Does AT&T offer a different monthly rate if you pay full price for the phone as compared to committing to a two year plan? If not, then I'm not sure what the benefit is if you stay with AT&T.

I've been buying directly from Motorola the last couple phones. AT&T chops the monthly rate when you do so.

Motorola is also making the best phones by a country mile imo as well.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

We added a phone to our current plan for our daughter. AT&T is offering an iPhone 5C for $0.99 plus the two year contract. About the cheapest you'll find something like that through AT&T.

You can find used iPhones on craigslist and Facebook all the time. Just have them meet you at the AT&T store so you can verify it works, or swap your sim card into it if you have one that is compatible before you buy.

I have an iPhone 4 16 GB I'd let go cheap.

gipraw & OSUDD - would you mind sharing your emails? I'm at adman513@cox.net. Thanks!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT