ADVERTISEMENT

Pheasants

panhndlpoke

Heisman Candidate
Sep 6, 2006
hey guys, I thought I would let everyone know that the pheasant population has rebounded some and there will be some hunting this year. They probably need another year before it is "good" again but you could hunt again.

I was in Nebraska over the weekend, and the numbers are definitely up, close to norms.

The quail looks pretty good. The blue quail came back faster than the bob white but much habitat for the bob white died during the drought. Blues live in the more open territory around here.

The pheasants aren't back to normal, but there are birds to hunt. I know a few people have been waiting for years to come back out here to hunt and I just wanted to let everyone know that it looks promising for the first time in many years. Next year should be good if we have a reasonable winter and summer.

I found two really good coveys of bobwhite's in Nebraska and I haven't seen quail there in a decade.

We had high hopes this year after the weather conditions and seeing more birds last year than normal in Southern OK, but I have jumped only one covey of birds this entire deer season where I hunt, and there were only 5 or 6 birds in it.

I fear we will never have the quail numbers we once had, due to so many environmental influences. I had heard from a biologist probably 8-9 years back that on factor was the fireants, which are not native, kill the young chicks, who knows what else influences their numbers.

The eastern turkeys where I hunt in Latimer County have been declining significantly but rebounded a bit the last year or so. How are the Rios doing?

Luckily, fire ants haven't migrated to the Guymon area and most assume it is a little cold for them. I sure hope they're right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT