ADVERTISEMENT

Personal Cloud Storage

nathajw

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2007
DFW
My wife and I are looking at storing all of our pictures, important documents, etc. and eliminate some clutter around the home.

I have been recommended DropBox and Amazon but are there better options out there? I'm looking for at least 5 terabytes when you factor in all the music and media I have. I'm pretty clueless and haven't researched this much yet so anything you can give me is appreciated.

Reactions: MegaPoke
Are you wanting it hosted so you can share them? or simply as a back up in case something happens to your computer/house, you can then turn around and restore them?

Are you wanting it hosted so you can share them? or simply as a back up in case something happens to your computer/house, you can then turn around and restore them?

Well, priority number 1 is to have them backed up in case of theft or fire.

I don't want to share them with anyone but it would be nice to be able to access them for viewing from my phone or computer with ease. More so computer than phone.

hmmm I recommend carbonite to anyone that is looking to back up their computer, but this solution is more for pure backing up, you keep the files on your PC and view them and if something happens you can restore them.

You're looking for something that you can move them OFF of your PC. Can I ask why you're wanting to do this? Storage issues on the computer?

hmmm I recommend carbonite to anyone that is looking to back up their computer, but this solution is more for pure backing up, you keep the files on your PC and view them and if something happens you can restore them.

You're looking for something that you can move them OFF of your PC. Can I ask why you're wanting to do this? Storage issues on the computer?

That and I just don't need all of what I want to keep on my computer but I also want to be able to access it if need be. I don't need to keep terabytes of music and video on my PC.

I have multiple portable hard drives that are storing all this at the moment. If they're stolen...poof.

Last edited:
For sure you want to get those backed up off site. For music I would say Amazon, for pictures I would lean to Google Drive, you could put your music there too, but I like Amazon because you can access it from their music app.

We have an amazon prime account and it comes with unlimited data storage for pictures. So our phones are set to automatically upload to there and we can view anytime.

Does it have to be music purchased from Amazon?

We have an amazon prime account and it comes with unlimited data storage for pictures. So our phones are set to automatically upload to there and we can view anytime.

I forgot they added that.

So are you just looking for a better solution then?

Does it have to be music purchased from Amazon?
No. I do receive a lot of errors when uploading my music though. I would bet for every 10-12 that backs up, there is 1 that can't. Has not been that important to find out why, so I haven't.

Reactions: gipraw
@ThorOdinson13 , we have Amazon Prime, it feels like I spend 10 min a day breaking down boxes so they'll fit into the recycle container. It looks like Amazon offers unlimited for 60 bucks year, that's probably what I'm going to go with.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

It's pretty easy. And if you take the majority of pics by phone they upload automatically if you want them too. We are happy with it.

No. I do receive a lot of errors when uploading my music though. I would bet for every 10-12 that backs up, there is 1 that can't. Has not been that important to find out why, so I haven't.

When you say "backs up" and there is 1 that doesn't does that mean there are some songs that I can't put into Amazon Drive at all or you just can't play it through the Amazon Music app? If it's the first then that's a deal breaker for me.

Google drive is the way to go! Great service and now having a Google phone makes integration even easier. Affordable reliable and accessible.

If you frequent a ton of places, do Google reviews. Once you hit level 4 local guide status they give you a year of 100 gig for free. Love it. Hoping to hit level 5 soon and apply for the summit :)

When you say "backs up" and there is 1 that doesn't does that mean there are some songs that I can't put into Amazon Drive at all or you just can't play it through the Amazon Music app? If it's the first then that's a deal breaker for me.
Here's what I mean. Say I upload an entire CD that consists of say 14 songs .. there may be one that errs out and says it is an unrecognized format. Doesn't make sense because it is all one CD.

Reactions: nathajw
There are so many companies on the market that offer this service, that you don't even know which one to choose. I am using Snowflake Security right now. After two months of using it, I can say that it's pretty good. I am using it to stock my private photos and some important documents, and it does the job. You can try this company if you want, or you can look on the internet for more, I am sure that there are other good companies. I guess my message will be helpful for you, at least I hope so.

Last edited:
There are so many companies on the market that offer this service, that you don't even know which one to choose. I am using Snowflake Security right now. After two months of using it, I can say that it's pretty good. I am using it to stock my private photos and some important documents, and it does the job. You can try this company if you want, or you can look on the internet for more, I am sure that there are other good companies. I guess my message will be helpful for you, at least I hope so.
Maybe if you had a time machine and went back three years.

• Haha
Reactions: CBradSmith
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT