ADVERTISEMENT

Peloton

ctdub

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Dec 11, 2003
Who here has one?

I broke down and ordered one in August when we got back from our summer trip and it was too miserable to go outside and do anything. We didn’t get it until October. I’ve really enjoyed the classes. There are lots of great instructors and music.

I am close to pulling the trigger and getting one. Which model and purchase option did you choose?

Think I’ll probably get my own shoes and heart monitor.

I have a road bike I take out in the warm seasons and a Kinetic indoor trainer for winter. All for under $1,000 and no monthly subscription. Riding inside gets real boring to me, even with music or tv.

In a perfect world, I have a peleton for indoors and a regular bike for out.

I have the version 3. The plus came out when I was waiting for delivery of mine and they needed up dropping the price $350. I’m not sure what the big advantage is with the plus bike outside of the flip monitor. Smart TVs all have the peloton app already you can stream or cast from your phone all the strength and stretching classes.

If you buy one directly from Peloton make sure to get a referral code from a friend before you order. You both will get $100 credit for accessories/extras. I didn’t know to do that until after and they wouldn’t let me add it in after the fact.

The only thing I bought from Peloton was the bike mat. I use my Apple Watch for my HR monitor and I had a pair of shoes from my road bike I don’t use anymore I added the delta look clips bought on Amazon much cheaper than from Peloton. My wife bought. A pair of Peloton brand cycling shoes with clips on marketplace for $50.

I have a road bike I take out in the warm seasons and a Kinetic indoor trainer for winter. All for under $1,000 and no monthly subscription. Riding inside gets real boring to me, even with music or tv.

I use the Sufferfest app for indoor and really like it.

Reactions: TPOKE

I’ve used a road bike and trainer indoor before. It was hard for me to stay motivated with that.

Agree. I just can’t ride inside. I have a gravel bike for outside and will ride unless it’s below 50.

I’ve used a road bike and trainer indoor before. It was hard for me to stay motivated with that.

Have you tried Zwift? I'm not sure if it works without having some type of power meter but it definitely makes riding inside much more tolerable.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
The Mrs. convinced me to get one last spring after the country shut down, and I'm flag we ordered ours when we did. It arrived in May after only 4 weeks or so, so we were a little lucky.

I'll be honest - it's a well-built piece of machinery and haven taken a few of the classes, I can understand why some people like the programs a lot.

That being said - I love the convenience of it more than the classes. We have ours set up in our bedroom, so it's easy for me to play something from the DVR and do one of the "free rides" while I watch the TV. For Christmas, my wife got me some sort of 3rd party mini table that attaches to the handlebars, so I've been using that around 4-5pm every couple of days while I clean out e-mails (or doing something else mindless) on my work laptop.

I have a strong suspicion that we'll be using our Peloton a lot less once I have to start commuting downtown for work again. I try to ride at least 2 weekdays and one weekend day each week just to keep from getting fat while I'm stuck at home. So far so good.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
I am close to pulling the trigger and getting one. Which model and purchase option did you choose?

Think I’ll probably get my own shoes and heart monitor.
Just get the cheapest option they offer that comes with a screen (probably what we bought last year). Maybe get the one with a swivel screen - my wife has found some of the yoga classes more difficult trying to watch them on her phone as opposed to the main screen on the bike.

Definitely get your own shoes. Mine were some 3rd party brand from Amazon and my wife's were Peloton brand. Guess whose shoes are comfier and don't need to be replaced yet?

As to heart rate monitors, I have no recommendation. My wife wants one, but I think it's unnecessary. To each their own.

Overall, I think the bike has been worth the price we paid. Neither one of us is a fitness buff, but we each have our own reasons for liking the bike - my wife likes the classes they offer (mostly the recorded ones), and I like the convenience of having the bike in our bedroom instead of the local gym.

Maybe get the one with a swivel screen - my wife has found some of the yoga classes more difficult trying to watch them on her phone as opposed to the main screen on the bike.

Is there a TV in the room you all workout in? If so I highly recommend casting the workout (yoga) onto the tv as opposed to watching it on the phone. If it’s a smart tv or if you have firetv, appletv, etc. they all have the peloton app and you can stream workouts directly from tv without casting.

Reactions: Colorado_Poke
Had my Peleton for over a year and really enjoy it. I rode the road bike outside for years, but the last couple of years I just had less and less "want to" and frankly become more of a wimp regarding the weather/temperature/wind I was willing to ride in. I also had the road bike/trainer set up for a number of years but dreaded every single ride (so boring) and just did it less and less (more loss of "want to"). With the Peleton I can jump on for 30-45 minutes, 5+ times a week and while I don't burn the calories I did riding outside for 2-3 hours, I like to think it at least keeps my metabolism moving and allows me to not feel guilty about a bowl of ice or two on the weekends. Plus, some of the instructors are "not too shabby" (if you know what I mean) and serve as a welcome distraction.

A few months back I was kicking around the idea of buying a Peleton. But I was hesitant to drop that kind of money on one without trying it out beforehand. I ended up driving to Dallas for the weekend and staying at one of the hotels down there that has Peletons in their gym.

So I tried one out and decided to pass. I’ll stick with going to my gym and using the their bikes (not Peleton). I was a little disappointed with the quality and lack of comfort in the bike. But’s that just me. Maybe you guys will like them better.

A few months back I was kicking around the idea of buying a Peleton. But I was hesitant to drop that kind of money on one without trying it out beforehand. I ended up driving to Dallas for the weekend and staying at one of the hotels down there that has Peletons in their gym.

So I tried one out and decided to pass. I’ll stick with going to my gym and using the their bikes (not Peleton). I was a little disappointed with the quality and lack of comfort in the bike. But’s that just me. Maybe you guys will like them better.
I don’t know where you live but you should try a road or gravel bike. I like in country mix of gravel and asphalt and love it. Riding a stationary bike and can barely go 30 min. Riding out on the roads and hills I will go 2 hours easy. Think I’m too ADD to do it inside.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
I’ve been considering this for about 6 months now. I really don’t like machines but the convenience factor is the main attraction for me, along with the access to all of the additional classes.

I’m incredibly out of shape and about 30lbs overweight; my thinking was use it to get started on better exercise habits and get to a point where I can do more outdoor activities, then keep it for when the weather sucks.

It sounds reasonable to me but I haven’t actually done it yet. :)

Can the Peleton screen stream regular TV/movies? Or strictly Peleton content?
Negative on the outside content. I'll be honest - if our bike wasn't set up within plain sight of a TV, I probably wouldn't ride it as often as I do. It's a good way to clear old crap off the DVR that I wouldn't watch otherwise.

really don’t like machines but the convenience factor is the main attraction for me, along with the access to all of the additional classes.
This right here. We bought the bike because my wife desperately wanted one, but the convenience factor has taken away any excuses for me not to exercise. Even just riding it 2-4 times a week like I do seems to have paid dividends in my overall health.

Reactions: trapped_in_tx
Just ordered the bike (not bike +) today. Delivery date is April 20. I opted for toe cages rather than using cleats. Received a code from a friend, which gave me $100 towards accessories. I bought the toe clips and mat ($94). Phuckers wouldn't credit my remaining $6 towards the bike or monthly subscription.

Does everyone on here use locking cleats, or toe cages? Would be interested in perceived pros/cons of cleats vs toe cages.

Just ordered the bike (not bike +) today. Delivery date is April 20. I opted for toe cages rather than using cleats. Received a code from a friend, which gave me $100 towards accessories. I bought the toe clips and mat ($94). Phuckers wouldn't credit my remaining $6 towards the bike or monthly subscription.

Does everyone on here use locking cleats, or toe cages? Would be interested in perceived pros/cons of cleats vs toe cages.
We have the cleats version. I've never used something like them before, but they seem to work fairly well.

I used to road bike, and yeah - IMO cleats are 100% the way to go so you can get full power pulling up. ive never seen cages anywhere close to comparable.

I used to road bike, and yeah - IMO cleats are 100% the way to go so you can get full power pulling up. ive never seen cages anywhere close to comparable.
That's what I use. First time on my way out of the driveway 3 years ago was interesting. Now I tell myself as i'm coming to an intersection, "twist out. twist out"

I just created the group #corral if you all want join.

That's what I use. First time on my way out of the driveway 3 years ago was interesting. Now I tell myself as i'm coming to an intersection, "twist out. twist out"

I've mostly ridden gravel so luckily I never had an audience but there were multiple times early on where I pulled up to stop, forgot to twist out, and helplessly paused for 1 second before toppling over. You learn pretty quick after that!

SPD cleats tension are adjustable. I have mine turned way down and occasionally blow out of them on the up stroke. Helps me to de-cleat in emergencies. I use platforms on my mountain bike.

I use a wahoo trainer and Zwift for colder days but have some cold weather clothing too. I've found this gear to be a little more affordable and plenty good quality for most folks. I've used it down to the 40's but it could definitely go a lot lower.

My wife ordered one last March right after everything shut down and it arrived must quicker than expected. I wasn't really interested in riding until she bought me some shoes. I pretty much ride every day that I can't get outside which has been most of the time recently. Definitely be careful if you try to come to a quick stop using the pedals. I did this twice and both times nearly toppled the bike while I was clipped in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT