ADVERTISEMENT

Pellet grill/smoker

Sorry, had a crazy week and didn't make it to the site.

I got my Vision before they came out with the two dials for the bottom vents. But I’m never smoking with more than an 1/8” gap in the bottom vent and often must a sliver. So, a ton less than what you would see in the KJ YouTube videos and you probably aren’t doing anything wrong if you are experiencing the same.

My vision really wants to cruise in the 250-275 range and just about any method works. If I want to cook at 225, I have to make sure that I control how much charcoal is burning at a time. For my unit, that’s a 2 inch bed of charcoal, a cup or two of lit charcoal at the very front to start, and letting it burn from front to back.

I’m not willing to struggle with trying to get the unit back down to 225 like the videos show either. I just dump two cups of charcoal that’s really going in the front of the bed and immediately add the brisket with the vents wide open. I use a Meater wireless thermometer and start close the vents down by half in increments as the Kamado comes up to temp. It probably takes an extra 30 minutes to come up to temp, but I rarely overshoot 225 by more than 5 degrees and the unit tends to stay more stable until you open the lid to add more charcoal or deal with ash on a 15 hour cook.
No problem! I made the brisket and it turned out amazing. bounced between 250 and 275 the entire cook and pulled at 203, 12 and 50 minutes total cook time. Was my first brisket and I must say a highly satisfying experience. Friends and neighbors absolutely loved it, and I still have a couple of pounds in the freezer.

Many thanks for the pro-tips!!

Reactions: SquatchinPoke
Anyone have a CampChef? Looking at the woodwind pro. Pellet grill with a built in smoke box you can toss some wood chips or charcoal in, and optional attachments off to the side for propane searing/griddle.

Anyone have a CampChef? Looking at the woodwind pro. Pellet grill with a built in smoke box you can toss some wood chips or charcoal in, and optional attachments off to the side for propane searing/griddle.
Neighbor has one and he's on that thing about 4 days a week every week. If nothing else, he's super happy and that thing is a damn workhorse.

Reactions: Cowpoke
To help with moisture, I've seen some put a small tray (meatloaf size) full of a water + apple-cider-vinegar mixture. I think it does help, but I couldn't swear to it.

I usually buy Traeger-brand pellets--how would you say those compare to the Bear Mountain? Where could I pick some Bear Mountain to try?

Reactions: EvilPOKES
To help with moisture, I've seen some put a small tray (meatloaf size) full of a water + apple-cider-vinegar mixture. I think it does help, but I couldn't swear to it.

I usually buy Traeger-brand pellets--how would you say those compare to the Bear Mountain? Where could I pick some Bear Mountain to try?
I prefer the BM, and several other brands, over the Traeger pellets. Honestly, for no other reason than the amount of adhesive Traeger uses in their mix. For long cooks, just imparts something additionally bitter and not in a way I like. Plenty of people use them often and love them (both my FIL and BIL use them).

Pellets I have used:
Bear Mountain (like)
Traeger (don't like)
Lumber Jack (mid)
B&B (like)
CookinPellets (mid)
Camp Chef (like)
Pit Boss (like)
Luisiana Grills (like)
Jealous Devil (like)
recteq (like)

I want to try knotty wood, but haven't seen them round at all, just seen internet reviews. Same with jack Daniel's Kona, Memphis Hardwood and GMG. Have ordered most of these online but prefer local stores typically just because.

Reactions: Adman513
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT