ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Mieno

slickr3

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2011
Seems to think John is stepping down very soon and thinks Pat Pop will take over.

anybody have any info?

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Well he is generally wrong 50% of the time. However, given he says Pat P maybe there's something to it cause that's exactly who'd expect as next coach and especially if something wasn't done quite right internally in the whole AJ situation. If true it gives a chance for one of those double team extra wrestlers with transfers, thats how Tom & Cael won their first at Iowa & Penn St.

Branch is too old
Burroughs doesn’t have head coaching experience at this level, so would be a leap of faith. I realize John didn’t at the time he took over, but that was a different era.
I think Coleman Scott would do a great job and would be interested.

I would still be surprised if John steps down.

Ionel gives Mineo way too much credit. Halve that by another 50% at least. IMO John Smith has done a great job in the past but in recent years he has looked tired and stressed to me and might step down. Branch is not the answer. He has only been moderately successful at Wyoming and I think I am being charitable at saying moderately. I like Pop and he would be a great choice if this happens and if not Pendleton or Coleman Scott would also be very good choices. Burroughs is a great wrestler with no real experience as a coach much less a head coach. If John leaves it will be his choice, not anyone else's. We have had the best and the shoes will be hard to fill and if pressed I would say Pat Pop would be the best choice to fill them but will he leave all his east coast ties(NY,NC) to do it.

While demonstrably the best coach of those listed, Pat Pop is also too old to generate the excitement needed to jumpstart a recovery.

Right, Wrong, or Indifferent, the kids absolutely love Chris Perry.

This isn’t a recommendation or endorsement…he is a Pied Piper to kids 0-18

Reactions: osu2082
Because he is super gregarious, engaging, funny, & makes them feel 10 foot tall & bulletproof
How many team NCs as an assistant coach? What's his record as a head D1 coach? If you want to be the head coach of one of the top programs in the country you need to be on the coaching staff of a team winning team titles (a Casey Cunningham type) or a head coach with proven success such as a Popolizio, Scott, Pendleton ect or perhaps an unproven Burroughs or Dake type.

How many team NCs as an assistant coach? What's his record as a head D1 coach? If you want to be the head coach of one of the top programs in the country you need to be on the coaching staff of a team winning team titles (a Casey Cunningham type) or a head coach with proven success such as a Popolizio, Scott, Pendleton ect or perhaps an unproven Burroughs or Dake type.
This isn’t a recommendation or endorsement…

Reactions: je55m00r3
Well. Mineo was wrong. And the job is Perry’s when john leaves. He’s going to get the choice.

it SHOULD be pat pop, but john wants to keep it in the family.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Well. Mineo was wrong. And the job is Perry’s when john leaves. He’s going to get the choice.

Ugghh. Seems likely, but why can't he see what most of us see?

Think about Perry's greatest win, i.e. the Howe final. Who woulda put money of him to win? Nobody. Absolutely incredible performance. However, it was, like most of his matches vs top 10 guys, an ugly stall fest. Unfortunately, this match reminds me of the way most of the cowboys wrestle in tough matches. Fix does. Probably a stretch to say his style rubbed off on the kids, but that's what I see.

I wish they'd go in a new direction. I wish they'd court a world champ, olympic medalist . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: CowboyTanker

Chris is a super coach and he took several wrestlers in the past few years to over achievers. Maybe it would be better to go a little outside the real family however to someone just in the wrestling family. Speaking of "Real family" I think probably the 2nd best coach in that family is Pat Smith. There has been enough years passed from his troubles to bring him back as an assistant if he wants it and there is from what I have heard no one better as a coach.

Reactions: DPJ
It has been mentioned ITT that some of the Head Coaches out there are "out of touch" or "too old"...

If Perry is in fact the guy (AGAIN, I am not endorsing or recommending - I'm neutral here)…Perry is neither of those things.

Also, I agree...Bring back Pat Smith STAT...

Also, I agree...Bring back Pat Smith STAT...
Pat Pop turned 45 this year so while he is old for an assistant, he would be younger than many head coaches and has been a very successful head coach both at Binghampton where he coached 31 NCAA qualifiers and at NC State where he has led this formerly also-ran team to four straight top ten finishes. He is by all accounts, a great recruiter and would lend his New York wrestling and coaching roots to a deep pipeline from that area. That is, if John decides to leave which may not happen now or in the near future.

Reactions: DPJ
What Pop would possibly get you is a bunch of high level transfers that could lead to instant success which then builds but he is on the older side.

Coleman will be in the mix but would like to see him continue to elevate UNC. Pendleton is a dark horse and appears to have a very high ceiling but will need a few more years to prove himself.

Perry is the leader in the clubhouse but I think how John’s run ends will play a big role if Perry is indeed the guy.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
Right, Wrong, or Indifferent, the kids absolutely love Chris Perry.

This isn’t a recommendation or endorsement…he is a Pied Piper to kids 0-18

the failure in decision making that has led to the current issue at hand must be addressed

not a vote of no confidence

Think about Perry's greatest win, i.e. the Howe final. Who woulda put money of him to win? Nobody. Absolutely incredible performance. However, it was, like most of his matches vs top 10 guys, an ugly stall fest. Unfortunately, this match reminds me of the way most of the cowboys wrestle in tough matches. Fix does. Probably a stretch to say his style rubbed off on the kids, but that's what I see.

I wish they'd go in a new direction. I wish they'd court a world champ, olympic medalist . . .
No one would bet on Perry to do the thing he'd done two weeks before?

I have lots of questions.
Do any of those guys want to come in and try to restore the glory?
Is Perry head coach material? I haven't seen it yet - but maybe he's being held back by John
Why the concern over coach age? If someone like Pat Smith is the right choice wouldn't it be great to have him come in for 10 years?
Why the concern over "keeping it in the family"? That's cute as long as it's working, but I don't want to see it become some patriarchal thing where only Smiths and Perrys can be coach at OSU. Is there legit concern about an outsider coming in and messing up OSU wrestling?

Most universities have an anti nepotism policy in academics, however they seem to overlook this regarding athletic and hiring assistants, look at all the brothers, sons other relatives in football and basketball. But its a different story for head coaches, they are still equal opportunity employers. I can't imagine any scenario where Holder would've just given the job to Perry or that higher up in university would have approved. Look at Holder's hires. Now there is a new AD and new President so could that view/approach changed, doubtful. If John wanted Perry to be the next head coach he should've set him out to coach at a lesser program to prove success or at least promoted him to Associate. Pendleton is a good example of what you do to become a top head coach, Assoc with a successful program to Head coach and take that program to another level. More data on Pop & Scott but Pendleton might be the future.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Pat Pop would likely be a top choice despite the age. I don’t see a historic ok state program taking a chance on a young superstar coach like a Jordan Borroughs. He would be a perfect fit for the head coach of the cowboy RTC though. I think Pat Smith is probably comfortable with building up wrestling in Arkansas, but I could be wrong. I’m surprised Eric Guerrero hasn’t been mentioned as a possible candidate. He was on the staff when we were having a ton of success. At the very least he would also be a excellent choice for the head coach of the RTC. I do agree that Chris Perry needs to be proven as a head coach in order to have a chance. Unless there are some internal university issues we are unaware of I don’t think John is going anywhere in the near future. He will want to leave the program on a high note and in a good position. Now is not that time.

Would you?
It was not as far fetched as you're acting. I remember still thinking Howe would probably win, but Perry had demonstrated the ability to beat him.

As for Perry's coaching ability, I'm not privy to anything in the room, but it seems like we've had some relatively unheralded upper weights end up as AAs. To the extent he played a role in that I think he's probably a pretty good coach. Doesn't mean he should be head coach, but it wouldn't be the worst choice either.

Pat Pop would likely be a top choice despite the age. I don’t see a historic ok state program taking a chance on a young superstar coach like a Jordan Borroughs. He would be a perfect fit for the head coach of the cowboy RTC though. I think Pat Smith is probably comfortable with building up wrestling in Arkansas, but I could be wrong. I’m surprised Eric Guerrero hasn’t been mentioned as a possible candidate. He was on the staff when we were having a ton of success. At the very least he would also be a excellent choice for the head coach of the RTC. I do agree that Chris Perry needs to be proven as a head coach in order to have a chance. Unless there are some internal university issues we are unaware of I don’t think John is going anywhere in the near future. He will want to leave the program on a high note and in a good position. Now is not that time.
Wasn't Guerrero kind of kicked out of the coaching staff? Or was that just a rumor.

What about Daniel Cormier? Is he a viable candidate? He has charisma and post-graduate success for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT